A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 29th October 2019, 08:13 PM

Crap 😂 yeeah might be, looks like i just have to take the plunge and buy a new handle on the right front door and the trunk. Haven't got the stomach to work on my own cars more than i have to anymore lol.

If that don't help i feel like the next step is to buy a thermal camera and wait for the winter and steady suczero's and see where and what generates heat. i.e stalk down the short.
BI-Xenon Headlights, Keyless, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI, 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Seat Memory on Both Sides, Heated / Cooled Sport Front Seats, Electrically Adjustable Rear & Heated Rear Seats Alacantra roofliner, Exterior LED Package, Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control & Heated Steeringwheel ++.
Old 7th February 2020, 12:53 PM

Any updates on this?
Old 8th February 2020, 04:54 PM

I noticed this on mine, but has resolved itself on its own now.
My microswitches on the soft-close don't work anymore but this is common. I don't miss it and it's not worth my time replacing them.

Current issue with mine is that the seat position memory switches aren't memorising the seat position. And the boot close isn't latching down fully on close. It looks closed, but you can lift the bootlid without touching the pressure-pad switch in the centre.

Anyone else seen this?
Old 8th February 2020, 05:33 PM

For the bootlid, there is a common issue with a small spring popping off in the latch mechanism. It is a small spring, - maybe 8mm dia and 25mm long.
If you pop out the poppers on the plastic boot trim you can see the latch mechanism. See if the spring is present, if not it probably fell off because the end loop got cut-through by the hook, just bend a new loop on with pliars and refit.

Attachment 22853

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 8th February 2020, 06:55 PM

Thanks, I'll check this.
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:27 PM

I have had a few flat batteries recently, mostly when it has rained a lot. When raining the battery lasts two days parked max.

I also fitted a bluetooth streamer last year..
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15284
which has permanent 12v but shuts down when it receives MOST shutdown command and wakes up when MOST wake command is received.

What has become apparent is that the car is waking up and going to sleep all day long when parked. When I turn the car off and lock it, the bluetooth disconnects, when I unlock the car it connects and MAPS app gives suggestion of where to go. What I find when it rains is while I am sitting in the house or at work the phone keeps alerting how many minutes to work/home and how the traffic is and keeps reconnecting to bluetooth. The MOST bus is probably repeatedly waking everything up and booting the MMI.
This is definately not bluetooth going in and out of signal range. I believe it is the proximity sensors on the underside of the door handles being triggered by rain.

Attachment 22967

Old 4th March 2020, 05:29 PM

Do the door handles have proximity sensors?
When mine was draining its battery it was always on a rainy day. Which indicates to me that the issue is caused by water ingress perhaps causing the car to wake up. A short rather than proximity
Old 4th March 2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Do the door handles have proximity sensors?
When mine was draining its battery it was always on a rainy day. Which indicates to me that the issue is caused by water ingress perhaps causing the car to wake up. A short rather than proximity
Yes, when the car was newer (I have had it 9 years) they sensed the hand under the handle with G415 touch sensor and unlock the door before you have chance to pull the handle up.

I know my handles are faulty as only the passenger front works like this nowadays, with the others the handle has to be lifted. Also, they will sometimes unlock when washing the car if the key is in my pocket because the water registers as a hand. As the doors are not opened, it locks again a while later.
Attachment 22968
I remember a thread on a US forum when a guy disabled it by popping out the pin for that wire on each of the handle or door control unit connector. The handle electronics under the lock button are fully waterproofed in expoxy resin. Even if water gets under the grey rubber button it is unlikely to affect it.

Old 4th March 2020, 08:42 PM

Had mine since 2010 and likewise the doors used to unlock before I touched them. Now, with all the handles replaced, they sometimes do this and sometimes need a double lift.
Some days I have to grab the key in my pocket in order to get them to unlock. It's the same with both the original and replacement keys.
I do wonder if there are aerials that are supposed to pick up the key and they are no longer as sensitive as they were.
The pattern of water prompting malfunction, seems to me, to point to an electrical shorting issue.