A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 17th September 2015, 06:59 AM

Question Dead battery Kills ECU Mapping ?

Hi All,

I recently had a full service done by an Indy - and they advised that while it was on the ramp, the battery died.
Looks like these guys left the ignition on (possibly diagnostics plugged in) throughout the service and when they checked, the battery was dead !
They charged it up for me, and all seemed ok.

When i took it for a drive, it felt like a completely different car !

I was told by the guy who sold it to me that it had been remapped (although no receipts or proof of this). It felt like it was very responsive before with a very sensitive throttle and now it feels... .blah.
(with Blah being my technical term for more play in the throttle pedal before it moves, and generally needing to gas it a lot more to get the same movement from the car. )

My question (finally) - Could the fact that the battery had died (dead for possibly 90 mins) clear the re-mapping coding ?

Bal.

Blue 2007 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi S-line
Heated Seats, Leather/Alcantera, Auto Boot, Sat Nav (NOT WORKING !), Bluetooth, 20" alloys.
Old 17th September 2015, 07:14 AM

No, flat battery will not cause any remap to just "go away". The map is stored in an EEPROM which can only be overwritten by physically reprogramming it using special software.

When the battery does go flat, the car does however lose some data which means the ECU needs to once again re-learn some data from scratch, during this time the car may behave differently although overtime it should return to normal. This is why sometimes you can solve some issues by simply disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 17th September 2015, 07:22 AM

Mannyo - you star !
i had a sleepless night last night thinking I might be coughing up for RE-Re-Map.

So... how long is a piece of string... i mean...
I'm sure there is no set answer but how long 'might' this re-learning process take ?

Heated Seats, Leather/Alcantera, Auto Boot, Sat Nav (NOT WORKING !), Bluetooth, 20" alloys.
Old 22nd September 2015, 07:20 PM

Update Guys...

I think it may have a REVO style remap...
I spoke to the guy i bought the car from and he has given me the details of the garage that did the remap. The garage has agreed to see me tomorrow - so hoping for a re-remap ;O)

With these updates, if you disconnect the battery, it goes back to stock mode and needs either an adapter box to change modes or re-write of the remap to resolve.

Fingers crossed x

Bal.

Old 22nd September 2015, 07:23 PM

I don't get this - surely a map is flashed to the memory of the ECU and stays resident, by its nature it has to. . . .
Are you sure the people you called don't just want to charge you for un-necessary work? I would at least check verbally over the phone with a couple more companies that are further away and have nothing to gain

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:52 PM

There are mapping companies that can put more than one map on the Ecu and they can be selected by different methods like using the cruise control stalk. Adaptor and app etc

But if that's the case it would be strange not to have it handed over to new owner

Old 23rd September 2015, 06:30 AM

I'm basing info on this site:
http://www.revotechnik.com/content/about-revo

i've been reading up in forums and asked my Indy... and it seems this type of mapping can default to 'stock' if the battery is disconnected. I don't know enough about the tech to know any more... but won't know the full deal until i speak with the garage. I'd rather deal with them face to face than on the phone.
(it may not be anything like the REVO system !)
I'm hoping they will plug in, make a setting tweak and voila !

Lets see how that pans out...

Old 23rd September 2015, 08:35 AM

Default Hmmm..

…I'm not sure that this would happen with a Revo remap (I have also had one). If it does, then I'll be interested too, as the battery disconnect would/will have affected me as well - though I can't say that I've noticed any change.
Old 23rd September 2015, 04:03 PM

doesnt sound good
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/in...?topic=74566.0

apparently you can buy a dongle (for 100 quid!) that will save/backup/allow you to restore the map when its lost.

i think i will never ever have about a revo "remap". i will stick to proper programmable ecu's and having a copy of the ecu file in several locations...
Old 24th September 2015, 06:33 AM

So i have been to Gravesend and back.

The guy backed up my current config and re-mapped with a custom map.
It seems he has heard of REVO also but he uses a different software via OBD II and has never had an instance where a battery change caused the map to revert to stock settings.

He didn't have the time to fully diagnose the issue and i was happy enough for him to just remap and bring the car back to life.

Charge... zilch.
I offered him something, but he refused. Good Guy ;O)

I think it might be a common problem (battery disconnect) for any tuners that use this method of going through OBD II rather than direct to ECU but I don't have any knowledge of the process, so i might be talking kak !