A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Alternative Fuels

Alternative Fuels For all those conversations about LPG, Electric, Hydrogen. Anything but petrol and diesel...

Old 3rd June 2015, 10:36 AM

One thing I can't get my head around is that a pretty popular option on the Tesla is 21" wheels fitted with Michelin Super Sports tyres - they must suck a fair bit of range out of the batteries with the footprint and rolling resistance?!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 3rd June 2015, 09:33 PM

It's all interesting and impressive but if there is no smell of petrol when ''recharging'' and exhaust fumes then I'm not interested, sorry

Other than that a great car

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
It's all interesting and impressive but if there is no smell of petrol when ''recharging'' and exhaust fumes then I'm not interested, sorry

Other than that a great car
And that's what I said, at first. As the old saying goes, don't knock till you've tried it ...
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
One thing I can't get my head around is that a pretty popular option on the Tesla is 21" wheels fitted with Michelin Super Sports tyres - they must suck a fair bit of range out of the batteries with the footprint and rolling resistance?!
Tesla do quote a slightly lower range for the 21", but only marginally so: I think this is because, as a proportion of the total battery power and overall vehicle weight (a lot of which is batteries ), the wheel/tyre combo only makes a marginal difference.
Old 4th June 2015, 09:17 AM

I was speaking to a Bosch rep a few months back who suggested that battery swapping may become more common over time -
i.e rolling out a set of battery swap points at service stations over the country.

Apparently some of the electric battery technology is so expensive that they are also looking into the cost of leasing plans for batteries
Old 4th June 2015, 10:58 AM

Tesla's battery is still a huge set of Panasonic cyllindric consumer batteries. Yes, Tesla buys consumer batteries from Panasonic to build their car batteries. Perhaps very smartly managed, but still a set of old small batteries. There is no real advancement in battery technology with Tesla's arrival. What humanity needs is a breakthrough in battery technology. We need batteries with 1000x capacity that are 1000x faster to charge.
Old 4th June 2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
We need batteries with 1000x capacity that are 1000x faster to charge.
Behold - radioactive decay - giving off a stream of electrons for 10 years from a grain of rice sized bit of plutonium.
Old 4th June 2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Tesla's battery is still a huge set of Panasonic cyllindric consumer batteries. Yes, Tesla buys consumer batteries from Panasonic to build their car batteries. Perhaps very smartly managed, but still a set of old small batteries. There is no real advancement in battery technology with Tesla's arrival. What humanity needs is a breakthrough in battery technology. We need batteries with 1000x capacity that are 1000x faster to charge.
It's 7104 of the below to be exact(possibly slightly modified), just in a big case with liquid cooling and battery management to ensure equal charging/discharging. If you got one of those battery banks after testdrive you have 1 of these batteries inside it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-...336569642.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	10956  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 4th June 2015, 02:20 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
It's 7104 of the below to be exact
Wow. Imagine if you had to turn it upside down and replace that lot, one by one, every time it ran out of juice!

And there was I expecting to see two huge Energizer batteries underneath.

------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 4th June 2015, 02:51 PM

There is a guy not far from me who reconditions and rebuilds batteries for hybrids so that should also be possible for Tesla even if battery is quite a bit bigger on fully electric car. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-HYBR...item43dd6c2471

This from Wikipedia: 'In 2013, Tesla canceled a 40 kWh version of the car due to lack of demand, stating that only 4% of pre-orders were for the 40 kWh battery option. Customers who ordered this option instead received the 60 kWh pack, with charge software-limited to 40 kWh (142 miles). It has the improved acceleration and top speed of the bigger pack and can be upgraded to use the full 60 kWh for US$11,000'

If this is true, very cheeky from Tesla to charge $11k for software upgrade to enable extra battery capacity which is already there physically. I imagine you ring them up, give your card number, they push an upgrade through the mobile network to your car and next time you get in battery have gone from 40kWh to 60. I wonder if you can jailbrake and modify it yourself but then again that would probably void warranty.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure