A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 1st August 2016, 10:14 PM

Default Radio code

Things are progressing slowly with the project at the moment. Everything is now back and has arrived for head re-install and timing belt job but my able Audi assistant is off on two weeks holiday.

One job that has eluded me is the radio - or more specifically the radio code. The radio/nav manual is missing the all important code card and the only clue I have is a faded scribble in the service book with a radio code in it.

Needless to say it doesn't work so I suspected a replacement RNS-D unit at some stage in a past life.

I happened to be in Belfast on Friday and called in to a very shiny Audi showroom next so a couple of big yellow cranes (local folks know where I'm talking about!)
I was distracted by a very nice dark grey SQ5 sitting at the door for a moment and started musing the trade in value of the Infiniti for a split second, before sense brought be back to reality. (It was actually a suited Audi salesman trying to engage me in the fine art of car sales, needless to say he was dismissed promptly before I nodded off to sleep)

I found myself at the reception counter asking where the service reception is....surely every dealership has a 'reception counter'?......"no, no sir, I will take your details and the next available service advisor will help you. In the meantime please head over to our coffee dock and relax"
Details duely handed in and expresso in hand I 'relaxed' and enjoyed 4 minutes of people watching. A 'service advisor' appeared beside me and presented his 'card'....do I present my card, read it intently and bow to the same depth as he does Japan style or what?
Anyway, I explained my predicament that I have purchased a used audi S8 and I needed a radio code......You could see the advisors eyes light up with the prospect of some mug in a suit having just shelled out for a D4 wanting a nice service bill!
The swift reply was that Audi no longer issue radio codes. I will have to bring the car down and they have to plug in a diagnostic computer to retrieve the code from the vehicle.
At the same time they will carry out a full diagnostic health check of my car and advise of any additional work required........
At this point I'm thinking 'full diagnostic health check......do you know that half the engine is sitting on a bench in my garage?'

Hmmm, so how much will this cost....?
Well sir, the first hour of diagnostics is £68+VAT however it may require a second hour if the radio is an older model. We will do that for £45+VAT

I asked if there is no way to retrieve the code using the details of the radio which I had to hand, colour photos of all the labels etc.
No sir, you have to bring the car to us.
Ok, when could this be done?
Service advisor produced a nice shiny Ipad at that moment and started to look at it.....hmmm first date I have available is Monday 22nd August at 11am
I broke off the conversation at this point as I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Told the delightful service advisor I would ring him and let him know when I could book the car in.

But it doesn't end there.............

About 20 minutes later as I drove back to the office I took a phone call (hands free of course) from Audi customer service wanting to conduct a survey on my visit to Audi today.......told them I was busy and I would ring back.

So, with the prospect of handing out £100+ (+VAT) to a 'service advisor' to retrieve a radio code I went hunting online for a solution.......for those of you with a codeless RNS-D...this may be an answer.....

http://radio-unlock-code.jimdo.com/

I shelled out £8 for the 'slow' service on Saturday morning not expecting much until Monday.
I was greeted with an email before 8am on Sunday with a code, bounced down to the car like a kid with a new toy, entered the code and it worked!!!

Now I wasn't expecting much from a 16 year old car stereo but I have to admit it's really good. There's a Bose setup in my Infiniti but I'm having to admit the S8 system is giving it a real run for it's money!

Everything works, even discovered the previous owners cd collection in the 6-disc player in the boot

....now all I need is a working engine to move the portable disco under it's own steam!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-29 10.24.34.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	13889  

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 1st August 2016, 10:48 PM

That's 'progress' for you. I had a similar experience at Warrington audi. I had a mint A2 stereo that I wanted to sell from the car I was breaking. They swore blind the ONLY way possible to get the code was to drive the car to them etc etc. Not that easy when the car in question is more of a shell than a vehicle.

About £5 later and a quick search on eBay I had a code and sold the stereo to a very happy buyer!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 5th August 2016, 04:07 AM

Default Similar for me

Local dealer wanted the car for half an hour. I spoke to the garage in Scotland (Loch Lomond) and they told me what they normally do is to whack the code on the sticky label and stick it in the boot/spare wheel well.

Saved me from a £155 per hour labour charge (30 mins actually which equated to £77.50)