A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Wheels and Tyres

D4 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 20th March 2017, 08:35 PM

Hi Ian,

I fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrical SCT, and a couple of weeks on and still fantastically quiet and smooth, especially noticeable on the rougher bits on the motorway, where the differential between it and the super smooth bits is much less noticeable than with the prior tyres, and indeed Pzeros - I had those on the last D4 albeit 19" and could not wait to get rid of them, still not as bad as the Michelin pilot super sports though - they were really noisy.

Cheers
Mark
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:25 PM

Default How wide are yours

Looking at replacement tyres at the moment. I currently have 9 inch 19's wearing 235 wide Dunlop winters. The door sticker also says 255 for 19's and 265 for 20's. I'm looking at 21's and wondering how far I can stretch... Landsail have a very tempting 295 but a stretch too far?! I've looked at the calculators but interested in any experience of being creative width wise. I appreciate the impact on speedo readings if the rolling circumference changes too much and that I'll need make sure I have sufficient clearance. I'm not wedded to anything in particular just interested in experiences.
Old 24th April 2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manca View Post
I'm looking at 21's and wondering how far I can stretch... Landsail have a very tempting 295 but a stretch too far?!
I've got 295-25-21's on my D2 but they are on 10.5" wheels so I would think that would be quite a stretch

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Next - Clean Car, Phantom Aeriel, Clean Car again, Fit Variable Back Box with remote control on/off Loudness, RNS-e, Clean Car again!
Audi A8L D3 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Oyster Grey
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 24th April 2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I've got 295-25-21's on my D2 but they are on 10.5" wheels so I would think that would be quite a stretch
That's interesting thanks for the info. I read some chatter suggesting theres quite a difference between brands but too wide is too wide. I have rims so need to sort tyres. I might try and pick up some used 275/35's off ebay so I can get them on the car and go from there.
Old 24th April 2017, 08:31 PM

Manca, you might want to check the insurance position of putting tyres on that are not to OEM spec. Some insurers see this as a modification, and if not declared/approved and you have an accident, they may not pay out.

Thanks
Mark
Old 24th April 2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
Manca, you might want to check the insurance position of putting tyres on that are not to OEM spec. Some insurers see this as a modification, and if not declared/approved and you have an accident, they may not pay out.

Thanks
Mark
That's a good point Mark thanks. I've given them the heads up on the rims already. Another reason not to be experimental
Old 25th April 2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manca View Post
That's a good point Mark thanks. I've given them the heads up on the rims already. Another reason not to be experimental
Fortunately, no such issue with part-worns, thank goodness

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) Tesla Model S: (85D). Silent and deadly, and very, very fast...
(2) 2003 D2 S8 Final Edition:Bulletproof and faultless: Ebony Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times annual winner of Best D2 1st prize forum trophy
(3) Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
Old 1st May 2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Fortunately, no such issue with part-worns, thank goodness
Thank goodness indeed. I have four 275 35 21 pzeros on their way with a reported 7mm+ each. Just need a mobile fitter now