A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 18th December 2017, 06:46 PM

Saw the mess in the news at 6:00, a proper disaster indeed in which two people sadly died

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 18th December 2017, 08:36 PM

I've had a few near misses over the years that have resulted in places where I will never stay in again.
The hotel that the Concorde destroyed near Paris is one example.
Now this mornings horrendous fire.
Can't help but feel for the hotel guests and staff.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 14th March 2018, 03:57 PM

How time flies! Arriving in Glasgow around 5pm next Monday!

I'm guessing taxi is the easiest way to get to the centre of town from the airport?

We've got till about 3pm on Tuesday to entertain ourselves. Weather looks to be dry but cloudy and only about 5C or 6C, but we will be equipped for that.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 14th March 2018, 04:08 PM

The shuttle bus (No 500) is perfectly OK and drops off at St Vincent Street, George Square, and Buchanan St Bus station. Its got wifi too.
Old 14th March 2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
The shuttle bus (No 500) is perfectly OK and drops off at St Vincent Street, George Square, and Buchanan St Bus station. Its got wifi too.
I agree with that and, even though I'm a Glaswegian (sort of...), even I'd admit that Glesga' cabbies aren't the best in the world - better than Dublin ones, worse than NYC ones, and about on a par with London ones. I'd get the 500 bus too.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 14th March 2018, 06:07 PM

Another vote for the bus, if only to avoid the "Airport Premium" addition that airport taxis apply to the already extortionate price

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 14th March 2018, 06:48 PM

Our hotel reckons the bus fare is £8 each and a taxi should be about £20.
We will have quite heavy baggage and the bus stop is about a couple of blocks away, so the taxi may win.

I've always found Dublin cabbies to be fine, though to be fair I don't think I've ever had one that was a native Irishman....
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 14th March 2018, 06:56 PM

Taxi estimate seems on the low side Andrew, particularly when I see you get into Glasgow around 5.00pm when the M8 traffic will be heavy (not as bad as London motorways at that time though ) , we live on the other side of the Clyde from the Airport, about a 15 -20 min journey and even in a prebooked private hire taxi it costs us around £25, so we normally use one of the off airport parking facilities

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 14th March 2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 14th March 2018, 07:14 PM

Just asked a mate who's a hackney driver and he says the fare should be no more than £22 plus £2 airport pick up charge

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 14th March 2018, 07:47 PM

Thanks.