A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 10th October 2012, 11:06 PM

Default Quick 10 minute Vanity mirror LED upgrade mod

Hi, I did a quick mod today. swapped the traditional filament type festoon bulbs in the vanity mirror light clusters for some LED ones (did a quick guide too for anyone that's interested).

Before:

After:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audi LED Vanity light guide.pdf (93.8 KB, 688 views)

Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi Executive
Old 11th October 2012, 07:51 AM

It's worth pointing out, for those that don't know, that LED bulbs are polarity-sensitive so test before reassembly (and turn them round if they don't work at first).
Also, the newer SMD types have larger emitters (the yellow areas) and some can be very bright - if you want that.

(The PF D2 setup is slightly different as the bulbs are actually in the sunvisor - 2 each side.)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 11th October 2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11th October 2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post

(The D2 setup is slightly different as the bulbs are actually in the sunvisor - 2 each side.)
Guess that must be in the PF HP? mine are in the headlining behind the visor

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 11th October 2012, 09:51 AM

Good write up, swing around in the A8 sometime.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 14th November 2012, 07:42 AM

Had a go at this earlier, I managed to remove the lens rather than the actual light assembly because that wasn't budging one bit, and now can't seem to click the lens back in

So now I'm left with an ugly gaping hole above my head, and a plastic lens doing nothing, as you can see...

Any ideas maglite?

- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 14th November 2012, 08:45 AM

I did mine yesterday with some warm white SMD festoons I had in a drawer that were too bright for the number plates.
I had a lot of trouble removing the lamps from the headlining as nothing would engage with the metal tab-spring, and the tab-spring bent out.
I removed and reshaped it, but now I can't get the lamps to be a tight fit in the roof, they are loose and rattly. It is as though the spring is too short now.
Google gives examples of others saying this across all models. Any tips for rectification?
New ones are £8 ish,
Might have to make a new spring out of plastic or something or just dab some hot melt glue on it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370443700311

Last edited by snapdragon; 16th January 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 15th November 2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Had a go at this earlier, I managed to remove the lens rather than the actual light assembly because that wasn't budging one bit, and now can't seem to click the lens back in
Uh oh.. Ok what has happened here is that you have managed to pull off just the lens rather than the whole light assembly. I used an old plastic SIM card surround, that I cut in half (like a credit card) to prise out the light fixture.

I think the best thing now to get the lens back on, would be to take out the light fixture and then superglue the lens back on to it before putting the whole thing back in the car.

Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi Executive
Old 16th January 2013, 08:36 PM

For future reference, the D4 ones are LED and fit the D3 roof lining but the quality of the LEDs is a bit ricey/blue like LEDs form 5 years ago.
4H0947105A
http://www.ebay.de/itm/280994398525

Last edited by snapdragon; 16th January 2013 at 08:46 PM.