A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 26th March 2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Good old garlic has strong anti-viral properties. So has tea tree oil but don't drink it. Maybe gargle with it or steam under a towel, if you are not allergic to it.
Ginger should be good too. I went to my local Tesco and Morrisons superstores, all garlic and ginger was gone. People know something
Bacillus Subtilis pro-biotic bacteria found in Natto (Japanese fermented soy beans) and some Lactobacillus bacteria found in pro biotic yogurts produce anti-viral compounds of equivalent strength to Tamiflu according to some research articles.
Red peppers have 120mg vitamin C per 100g, more than oranges.

Eat healthy and stay safe.
Don’t forget selenium (Brazil nuts, tuna, eggs) and zinc (meat, milk, cheese, eggs). Baked beans contain both as well. And don’t forget phytonutrients!! All will be beneficial to immune response

————————————————-
Old 26th March 2020, 04:00 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Baked beans contain both as well.
Eating plenty of baked beans is also a good way to help maintain social distancing
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre dιcor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 26th March 2020, 06:28 PM

Good old Heinz.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 27th March 2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Good old Heinz.
Good old Lidl in my case 4 tins for a quid and just as nice.

Great (and cheap) way to get vital nutrients in yer system...

Lol @ Mark

Talking of social distancing, dunno ‘bout you guys but I’m getting so much done at home!! House never looked better!

Just done the oil and filter on the Ford Fecus (2015 mk3.5 1.5tdci, zero road tax) which I use (or used ) for work. Bought one of them there Pela 6000 extractor jobbies which worked a treat! Filter was a bit of a pain as I had to remove the entire air box to get to it but still, was pretty easy and absolutely no need to go underneath the car. On a side note, after owning the car for, what, year and a half now? Only just found out that the colour is actually Deep Impact blue lol. Love that movie

I like I Am Legend as well but not sure I could watch that right now
Old 29th March 2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Hope all goes well with the op - I was day surgery thankfully - a week in there sounds quite intense....
Thanks Ian

Op went ahead as planned on Wednesday - yesterday (Saturday) I was moved from Brighton hospital to the nearby Nuffield private hospital, which has cancelled all its surgeries and is now taking suitable NHS patients away from the potentially more risky site which is a main treatment centre for CV cases (as well as having ongoing major building works, which my daily post-surgery walks took me through - literally!). It's a slow build up, but the facilities here are fab - unfortunately can't leave my room until fresh MRSA swabs have been processed to check I'm not carrying an infection! I'm not too bothered - just pacing the room to be mobile and thinking of those that've run marathons on their balconies, or in their back gardens, for inspiration!

Now have my own room and shower, and no bleeping alarms from drips all through the night (still can't sleep for more than 3 hours at a time though!)

Hopefully heading home tomorrow, but need a couple of things to happen before they'll let me go. Then it's into isolation at home and await biopsy results fingers and toes crossed!

A

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 29th March 2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Then it's into isolation at home and await biopsy results fingers and toes crossed!
A
I wish you all the best Adrian.

You definitely need to stay well away from the mobile germ factories for sure. Pretty sure my grandson brought CV home from his nursery (he's just 4) and my daughter-in-law has had all the symptoms for the last week, so the family are isolating for 2 weeks minimum. Fortunately she's a lot better today.
They're in fairly central London which is probably way ahead of the rest of the country in infection rates; lots of it just on their road and people they know.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th March 2020, 02:04 PM

Default My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you fine people in the UK.

Old 2nd April 2020, 06:07 PM

I think we have all had COVID-19 in this house and some relatives we saw a couple of weeks ago too. I will describe below for general interest and as a warning of a symptom which was not mentioned at the time but has been mentioned since (still not on NHS website)

We all lost our sense of smell about 10 days ago. Mine started to come back 3 days ago and is pretty much OK now, my wife's has not (yet?) - still can't smell ammonia that normally 'knocks you out'.
My nose was not blocked or runny but had a strange sensation like when you enter a dry sauna and breathe in. Sometimes had phantom smell like sawdust, grain or cereal. Throat seemed a bit sore too in the mornings, not like an infection but more like after a bonfire or doing DIY without a mask. We had no coughs or sneezes or difficuluty breathing.
We did have a really mild fever at the start, so mild I would ordinarily just have put it down to something like eating too much MSG or having too much wine. The other possible symptom was brain fog and fatigue.

I hope we can have antibody tests soon and be declared immune. I do wonder if millions in the UK have had it and not realised.

It seems rather like peanuts. - a delicious snack or an awful death and everything in between.
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:20 PM

I've read about the anosmia on a couple of science sites. Interesting to hear a personal account of it.

I saw an article positing exactly what you said about millions already having had it and passed it off as flu. My brother in Spain thinks they had it early on as they commented at the time that it was a very heavy flu this winter. What we may be seeing now is those who didn't get it earlier on and who are being hit much harder by it. There's a theory that it's a chimera so potentially people built antibodies to one of the two original constituents, which then also work with the COVID-19 variant. This may explain why the spread is below the exponential predictions, although that is easily also explained by the lack of testing and studious lying / incompetence from the authorities.

At least I'm getting through the 3d printing projects while stuck at home
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:24 PM

My daughter-in-law has definitely totally lost her sense of smell. Otherwise pretty much back to normal I'm glad to say.

The antibody tests if/when they get developed will increase our understanding immensely and hugely improve the ability to plan and respond appropriately. Right now it's all pretty blindfold and unfortunately even a massive increase in the existing tests wouldn't actually make as much difference as some journalist are implying. But most of them don't have an iota of scientific education, let alone mathematical.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!