A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 9th October 2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto View Post
Key fob ? never heard of that before
Newer Audis (and other manufacturers) have a lot of info stored on the key now. I remember when I picked up a loan car and the key was placed in a reader so the service advisor could pull up the car's details and book it out to me. The service history is on there too I think.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 9th October 2020, 08:35 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Newer Audis (and other manufacturers) have a lot of info stored on the key now. I remember when I picked up a loan car and the key was placed in a reader so the service advisor could pull up the car's details and book it out to me. The service history is on there too I think.
I suspect they're using the key's ID as a vehicle reference to pull data from the system rather than from the key itself.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 9th October 2020, 08:50 PM

Possibly. It must have some VIN data though I suspect. I'll ask next time I'm at the dealers, unless someone here knows
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 9th October 2020, 09:32 PM

I'd of thought any dealer should be able to give you a print out of the service history?
Old 10th October 2020, 06:19 AM

Lynne's last Mini Countryman had all service data on the ignition key.
We were always told to bring both keys to a service to update them incase the regular key was lost.

Replacement Merc has a paper book.....

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 17th April 2021, 11:36 AM

Roberto how are you getting on with BiTDI, you still have it?

I am looking at buying a new car and been looking at A4 and A6 quattro diesel estates and and Allroads. To be honest I feel like most of the market is overpriced. I see many cars been up for sale 4-6 months, not selling and not dropping the price. Ultimately the choice would be A6 C7 BiTDi Allroad but I am looking at £12k + which I can afford but it's hard to justify. I think when new BiTDI was £2.5k extra than normal 3.0TDI but looking at 2012-2013 cars you can get normal 3.0 for £8k and BiTDI is £12k+ so extra premium for BiTDI is bigger on old car than it was for new. Purchase price aside I am also a bit worried about the BiTurbo unit going down, could be well expensive to repair, might have to stick to normal 3.0 but would like to hear your experiences.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th April 2021, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Lazy-arsed, overpaid, underworked, uppity Audi dealership oiks who are a (generally...) a complete waste of space. I don't miss them at all.
Is that not all dealership oiks?

I've just given up after ringing the local Fiat stealership 3 days in a row to order front pads and discs for a Ducato van.
Local indy parts dealer had them delivered and on my desk 40 minutes after the first phone call

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 18th April 2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiseuk View Post
Is that not all dealership oiks?

I've just given up after ringing the local Fiat stealership 3 days in a row to order front pads and discs for a Ducato van.
Local indy parts dealer had them delivered and on my desk 40 minutes after the first phone call
Not in my experience: Audi dealers have consistently been orders of magnitude worse than others I've dealt with (mainly, but not exclusively, Fiat and Tesla dealerships).
A bit like Alitalia - and to a lesser extent BA - flight crew of old, who seemed to think they were doing you a favour letting you interrupt their coffee chat/newspaper reading, etc, etc.
But maybe it's just me

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 18th April 2021, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Roberto how are you getting on with BiTDI, you still have it?

I am looking at buying a new car and been looking at A4 and A6 quattro diesel estates and and Allroads. To be honest I feel like most of the market is overpriced. I see many cars been up for sale 4-6 months, not selling and not dropping the price. Ultimately the choice would be A6 C7 BiTDi Allroad but I am looking at £12k + which I can afford but it's hard to justify. I think when new BiTDI was £2.5k extra than normal 3.0TDI but looking at 2012-2013 cars you can get normal 3.0 for £8k and BiTDI is £12k+ so extra premium for BiTDI is bigger on old car than it was for new. Purchase price aside I am also a bit worried about the BiTurbo unit going down, could be well expensive to repair, might have to stick to normal 3.0 but would like to hear your experiences.
it broke down and no-one i know could fix it
£3500 quoted to repair
so i sold it on ebay as a non runner
gutted
Old 18th April 2021, 10:46 AM

What was the fault? Anything connected with biturbo unit?

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure