A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 28th October 2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Some of us do 1000 miles in a long weekend to the German A8 Treffen and the D2 is the perfect car for the trip. Heading home on the Sunday we visit 5 countries in one day Last year we went for a week and covered about 2000 miles with Mike's S8 set up for the Nordschleife (access denied) with coilovers set to schnell! and AP racing brakes, and even that was fine. We had the cruise set to 130mph on the autobahn at one point - no drama.

I've done Exeter to Edinburgh in a day in my S8 which was much, much nicer than flying. I did a round trip to Leeds the other day in Big Red too (600 miles, 8 hours of seat time), although I will admit that by the time I got home I really hated the gearbox ratios in the 2.8 as they are far too high. Its constantly changing between 4th and 5th on the motorway so in traffic I just leave it in S (max of 4th), only using D when the road is clear.

I was one of the mad ones that did this last year but I separated from the others on the Sunday and finished two week at Bielefeld with a side trip down to Worms and back for a three day stay there. I also did a one day return to Leer from Bielefeld.

I then did another trip later in the year to Kassel and Bielefeld and trotted about Westrfalia doing a groupie whilst my nephew was doing his German gig tour. I actually managed to collect Vera from hospital and take her home during that trip.
In December I did a return to Luneburg for a three day visit.
So three return trips to Germany in one year, but in an A8 D4 4.0 TFSI Often cruised at 160mph.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 28th October 2020, 07:37 PM

Not in an 8, but have driven to Estonia and back twice, once in a V8 M3, and again last year in my M4.

Was very happy last year to find how much the roads had improved east of Warsaw, took several hours off the journey
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 28th October 2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I want to drive to Sweden and back next summer and I'm curious as to what are the longest journeys you have done in your cars and what were your experiences?
I did a trip like that for the 2018 Annual Meet. 4570 km /2840 miles.
I started just south of Karlstad, down to Gothenburg. Ferry to Kiel. Drove through Europe. Took the ferry across the channel to Dover. Then to Exeter, to meet up with MJ. And we traveled north to the Meltham. All in all, it was a great pleasure to drive in the UK
I went back by way of Denmark. A short ferry trip Helsingør-Helsingborg (20 mins).

The German autobahn was horrific though, with trucks and cars overtaking each other with no regard to cars travelling at much higher speeds
So I did never get to try the car in high speed.

My oil pressure sensor doesn't work properly, so I had low oil level when I went back home through Germany. Pays to check that manually, I discovered.

edit: roundabouts were scary. I almost caused an accident in the first few in UK. After that I was very very careful. I had to be really mindful about the cars, that were coming from the "wrong" direction. Very counter intuitive

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98

Last edited by Regulus; 28th October 2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 5th November 2020, 08:16 PM

I can’t think of a better car for crossing continents (even better if someone else is buying the fuel!).

When you’ve done 3200 miles in 5 days in one of these, (pic below) including the Pyrenees, Alps and a (just) sub 12 minute lap of the Nordschlieffe, a big Audi is cheating

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D29069AF-CF43-47AA-B462-CD8B9A29B806.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	753.6 KB
ID:	24339