A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 22nd May 2016, 10:16 PM

Default A £220 Mistake? Probably.

Hi all,

Seeing as I had my toolkit removed to fit my brolly holder, I thought it would be a good time to fit my new inner tail lights. As you may recall, when I bought the car, one of the inner lights had a couple of LEDs out and the indicators and brake lights on the inside weren't working. Miraculously, a few days ago, the inside brake lights started working - I noticed them in a reflection when I'd parked against a window.

I switched them today and it took me quite a while to align them to the existing lights and to remove the residue from the sticker on the side. I cleaned the light wells and gave them a little coat of wax to give them a little protection.

I didn't tell you guys, but the inner lights were also quite badly scratched up - as if they'd been gone over with a scourer. It's nothing I don't think I could polish out, had they been working properly, but I didn't bother seeing as I knew I was going to change them.

So, after I plugged in my shiny new lights (at £220 each), I notice that the inside indicator still doesn't work. I'm now wondering whether it's supposed to illuminate at all?

Here's a question for all of you with facelift tail lights - do the indicators light up on the inside lights, or is it just the outside ones?

I needed to change one of my lights because of the LEDs that weren't working but, at the moment, I've paid £220 for another that isn't functionally any different from the one it replaced.

2008 Audi S8
Old 22nd May 2016, 10:33 PM

Only on the outside, annoyingly thats a feature of the D3 lights compared to newer models.

Old 23rd May 2016, 04:07 PM

Follow this guide from the lights sticky and you can wire up the inside indicators.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7026
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 23rd May 2016, 04:32 PM

I went to all the hassle to find it doesn't work, the conclusions made were the extra wire is for the us market where the brake lights flash as turn signal.

Old 23rd May 2016, 06:02 PM

Humph. That means I've spent (another) £220 I didn't need to.

Oh well. C'est la vie!

Thanks for the confirmation, folks.

2008 Audi S8