A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 22nd May 2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello View Post
I have the one which flashes the lights on the mirror when unsafe to change lane, but not the one which nudges you back in lane if you drift. ive never had it before so wont miss it its true, but the add clearly states it has it. im not looking for him to pay for a retrofit, but theres a conversation to be had.

As for google earth i agree, i want it, its in the add, whatever it takes to get it will have to be done, this may mean paying for the firmware update or a bit more for some extra parts, but i want it.
Google earth is as easy as a firmware upgrade - even at a main dealer that will be an hours labour I suspect No hardware changes needed (if you have a SIM card slot in the dash!?) and different to a maps update also!

On the "lane assist", it sounds like your car is actually fitted with side assist.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi side assist including pre-sense rear (Order Code PCH @ £820 RRP in 2010)
Aids the driver when changing lane. Audi side assist monitors the area behind your
car, using radar sensors located discreetly in the rear bumper, informing the driver with a visual warning signal in the door
mirror if there is a vehicle in the their blind spot or approaching quickly from behind. The system is activated using a button in
the driver’s door and works at speeds above 19mph. If a rear collision is sensed, the upper backrest and headrest are adjusted
automatically (where memory seats are fitted) to provide more protection to the seat occupant. If Comfort front seats or
Comfort front Sports seats are also selected, the pneumatic bolsters are filled to provide more protection. The airbags are also
pre-conditioned
vs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi lane assist (Order Code 7Y2 @ £500 RRP in 2010
Uses a discreet camera mounted at the top of the windscreen to monitor the road ahead. The driver is warned
with a vibration of the steering wheel if the vehicle is about to exit its lane unintentionally (at speeds over 38mph). Only in
combination with 4-spoke multi-function steering wheel
Old 22nd May 2016, 09:03 PM

yes i have the sim slot, its just that as the car was advertised as having google earth already, and finding that the low MMI firmware doesnt allow it any cost to make it work should be the dealers. im quite happy if its just a f/w update. im expecting that to fix it.

i have the 4 spoke wheel and the camera at the front, also have pre sense rear and front (i saw that working a couple of daya ago) but from what i can see after watching you tube clips i dont have a button or an mmi menu for the side assist. im not particulaly asking oscar to have it added but ido expect any other niggles to be sorted such as the rear blind that doesnt seem to work at the moment.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 22nd May 2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello View Post
yes i have the sim slot, its just that as the car was advertised as having google earth already, and finding that the low MMI firmware doesnt allow it any cost to make it work should be the dealers. im quite happy if its just a f/w update. im expecting that to fix it.

i have the 4 spoke wheel and the camera at the front, also have pre sense rear and front (i saw that working a couple of daya ago) but from what i can see after watching you tube clips i dont have a button or an mmi menu for the side assist. im not particulaly asking oscar to have it added but ido expect any other niggles to be sorted such as the rear blind that doesnt seem to work at the moment.
If it is fitted then you will have a button on the end of the indicator stalk, if not then probably not. To be honest it was mainly an annoyance, I turned it off by default

The rear blind died in mine also, that was fixed FOC by the dealer but wasn't a quick fix and involved a long backorder for a new blind- hope it isn't the case for you.
Old 22nd May 2016, 10:09 PM

i can do without another backorder, really i dont mind as long as the car isnt languishing at audi.

no button on the stalk so pretty sure it isnt there.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Side assist = lights that glow on the door mirrors to advise of cars in the blind spot, turned on and off using button on inside of the drivers door mirror.

Lane assist = button on end of indicator stalk and using camera etc. will monitor the road and alert if you are drifting out of line.

Active lane assist = above + it will perform steering corrections.

They're all fairly unnecessary in fairness, just expensive options that Audi punt out there so Joe public can beta test tech that will presumably, ultimately become essential to fully automated driving....

As you have Adaptive cruise with the camera already, Lane assist should be only a stalk change and coding change i believe. Having read Oscars advert I did think you had it, and it was noteworthy as being the only difference I think between yours and mine....

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:07 AM

i quite like the side assist

but i have no button on the stalk, its not that i cant live without it, i wouldnt bother retro fitting it, it was advertised though.

I think that makes our cars virtually identical, i cant see a difference in the pics you put up and mine. colour, interior , and equipment look exactly the same