A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st August 2017, 07:43 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Just found out that the electricity at my workshop is now 14p a unit compared to 8p in 2015 when I last had a bill That means my 980 has earned £21 and used £19 of electricity doing it, and since I have 2 years of electricity to pay for now (cos the landlord forgot about it until I reminded him last week) I'll have to sell the card to raise some cash (unless demand for Ethereum goes up considerably after the fork - seems unlikely?)

It also renders the S9 somewhat pointless since it'd take a year to break even, although I guess it'd have some resale value since it would become unprofitable for me a lot sooner than someone with free electricity! How the L3+ would work out remains to be seen, since I don't believe the sales calculator on Nicehash.

Bonfire somewhat rained on

Just switched tariffs at home and got 12.8p

That sucks. 14p/kWh is about the same as I pay.

I'm paying nothing for my Antminer's electricity because that's at my customer's premises but I have a growing number of GPU miners in my home/workshop. In the cooler months they effectively cost nothing to run because I need less/no additional heating. At this time of year they're probably not very profitable (at the present Bitcoin price) but then that doesn't really matter to me because I'm using them to accumulate cryptocurrencies that I believe will be worth substantially more in the not-so-distant future. Also, I can claim a proportion of my electricity bill as a business expense. I have been considering investing in some solar panels too though ...
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 1st August 2017 at 07:48 AM.