A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 8th April 2011, 11:39 AM

Default How to unblock washer jets A8/S8 D2/D3

Been reading alot of forums over the years and a common problem that seems to reoccur is block washer jets. So cause most A8/S8 have headlight ones as well I thought I'd share the one tip that works every time regardless of make or model of car,

Its really simple all you have to do is dissolve a calgon tablet in some hot water and pour that into the washer jet fluid bottle. leave for approx 10 mins and try your washers. Will work every time.

Saves alot time removing wheel arch covers to get to the washer bottle pump and trying to trace the washer lines. And is totally safe so can be done at winter service time even if jets are not blocked. Prevention is better than cure

Old 1st May 2011, 11:14 PM

has any member tried this yet? just out of interest
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:39 AM

i've tried it once and its works wonders..
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:02 AM

I must be the only person this didn't work for-in fact-it made the washers on my D3 totaly give up the ghost. I need to pull them apart now

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:54 AM

Really?
Did you use the powder version or the tablet form?
Cause once I had a BMW 530d and poured some spoonfuls of the powder stuff straight into the wash bottle just clogged it right up. Had to suck the stuff out again and flushed with hot water. Eventually it cleared and the washers worked brill from then on
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:58 AM

No I dissolved the tablet form in hot water-poured it into the washer bottle, and squirted through-after 10 mins my washe pump is squeeling it's balls off and no water from the jets

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:43 AM

no workie here either. Bah.

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:44 AM

OK, I thought I would update this thread, because I had to diagnose why my washer jets were blocked, and I might save someone the hassle of replacing the washer pump like I did unnecessarily.

If you remove the wheel & carpet half wheel arch liner (o/s), you will have access to the whole washer bottle.
You can see the pump, which can simply be unplugged and removed (you might get a little wet if your washer bottle is full)
Once the pump is out, you will see a little rubber seal (where the pump pick-up was removed from).

Pull this little rubber gromet out carefully-as it has a little plastic mesh filter on it, voila! It'll probably be absolutely clogged like mine was with green algae looking stuff.

I cleaned mine off with an old toothbrush, and while the pump & gromet were off the washer bottle, I stuck the garden hose into the filler and flushed the bottle to remove all the disgusting dirt that had accumulated in the bottom of the bottle.

I fitted a new pump while I was there, but I didnt "need" to.

Re-assemble and you'll probably have nice powerfull washer jets again

Thought I would share this easy peezy 10min fix with you all.

Bex

Last edited by A8L Chick; 2nd June 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:31 PM

Thats what always happens. The pump filter over time gets clogged with algae type substance, due to screenwash and stuff. Thats why using the calgon tablet thingy works to help reduce this build up, reducing the need to remove the wheel arches etc.

You have to watch sometime when cleaning the washer system, cause believe it or not the washer system can harbor legionnaires disease

Glad you got sorted though its a bugger when they dont work
Old 4th June 2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathedral60 View Post
Thats what always happens. The pump filter over time gets clogged with algae type substance, due to screenwash and stuff. Thats why using the calgon tablet thingy works to help reduce this build up, reducing the need to remove the wheel arches etc.

You have to watch sometime when cleaning the washer system, cause believe it or not the washer system can harbor legionnaires disease

Glad you got sorted though its a bugger when they dont work
Indeed, most washer systems carry that disease, I have to be particularly careful in my job.

The calgon tab didn't help at all-in fact it made mine worse lol. But it was only a 10 min job which even the simplest of people can master so I thought I'd share with those who have the same trouble

Bex