A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 27th December 2017, 12:44 PM

Default leaky rear light

One of my rear lights (boot mounted one) leaks - it leaked before so i replaced the light unit, but it leaks as well, albeit not as bad. Every couple of months i need to take it off and empty it out then dry it etc etc. Bit of a pain.

i was thinking about drilling a couple of small holes in the bottom of the plastic out of sight so that any water getting in would just drain out again. Are there any reasons why this would be a bad idea?

I have tried to water proof the lamp unit as best as possible, siliconing up the rear cover, where the wires go in etc but I think its the tiny cracks in the light surface where the water is getting in, so short of replacing the lamp again im stuck with the leak for now.

The only other solution is to never open the boot lid so the water doesnt slosh back onto the electronics which makes the car kill the power to the light. This is of course impossible as I need to disconnect the battery at least twice a day to reset the blacked out mirrors!
1990 Land Rover 90 factory county station wagon with all the luxury additions, such as a clock and a tape player.
2007 A4 3.0TDi s-line cabriolet quattro
2000 A8 D2 2.8 quattro, looking for a new home - gone
2003 A6 3.0 quattro, in the way... anyone want any parts? - gone
Old 28th December 2017, 01:17 AM

Make sure your actual drain gutters are clear, I think there is one on the rear right arch (under) also use a long bristle fine brush and some general purpose cleaner and clean all the top corners of the rear bumper when you have opened the boot lid. If that makes sense. You don’t want any water build up as that’s the cause of ingress into lights.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub