A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 10th October 2020, 10:18 PM

Default One more try (puddle and door lights)

At first my overhead auto-on wasn't working, but my door/puddle were. Also my door open/close indicators were messed up but those are all fine now too. But now, my red door panel (for open door) warning lights + puddles are kaput. Like I said, they were working, then at some point (putting my pass door panel back on?) they would flash on for about a second, then go off. Now, they seem to be dead. I took the pass frnt door panel back off to check connections all fine there. All fuses are good checked multiple times, inspected the wire bundle near the hinges and can't find anything wrong there, also rattled them while watching for a flicker of the lights, nothing. Everything else in the cabin is good, reading lights, alarm (door lock push/pull led), trunk lights basically everything else is fine except the afore mentioned. Any suggestions appreciated fore I hand this one off to professional. Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 01:31 PM

If it's just the one door, then I suspect that it's an issue with a microswitch. In the diagram of the door lock, there is a switch on the lock mechanism (1). In the other diagram, there are two switches in the door handle (24 and 25), 24 is for the anti-theft and 25 for the heated lock cylinder. Of these, I would suspect the microswitch in the door lock mechanism.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8D2DoorHandle.png
Views:	306
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	24146   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8D2DoorLock.png
Views:	303
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	24147  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th October 2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
If it's just the one door, then I suspect that it's an issue with a microswitch. In the diagram of the door lock, there is a switch on the lock mechanism (1). In the other diagram, there are two switches in the door handle (24 and 25), 24 is for the anti-theft and 25 for the heated lock cylinder. Of these, I would suspect the microswitch in the door lock mechanism.
Hi, all of the (4) red squarish warning door(open) lights are inop, as well as both rear puddle lights. My micro-switches seem to be fine now, all registering correctly on the dash indicator, screen.
Old 12th October 2020, 09:36 AM
Banned

I had a very similar issue in my Octavia except that the door lock also wasnt' working. The loom inside the rubber boot 'looked fine' but when i did a continuity test for every single wire in the loom it turned out that half of them were rotten inside not making the circuit.

So do a continuity test between the plugs inside the door and wherever they plug in inside the car and go from there.
Old 12th October 2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I had a very similar issue in my Octavia except that the door lock also wasnt' working. The loom inside the rubber boot 'looked fine' but when i did a continuity test for every single wire in the loom it turned out that half of them were rotten inside not making the circuit.

So do a continuity test between the plugs inside the door and wherever they plug in inside the car and go from there.
Thanks Ronin, I do suspect it is a wiring issue. I don't have the patience for that, so am letting someone take a look at it on Thurs. They have ways of finding continuity failures which should make short work of it, here's hoping anyway.
Old 13th October 2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel155 View Post
Hi, all of the (4) red squarish warning door(open) lights are inop, as well as both rear puddle lights. My micro-switches seem to be fine now, all registering correctly on the dash indicator, screen.
Very odd. When I was changing the rear door cards on mine, I don't seem to recall anything specific about the wiring to the red lights, but that was six years ago!

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 14th October 2020, 09:31 AM

I have problems with FL, FR and RR door puddle lights, and I have partially found a solution.

All microswitches work, they can tell when the door is open or closed. However, the puddle and red square lights don’t light up. However, when I take a wire and ground the puddle light minus end to, for example, door hinges with some bare metal, the lights turn on!

So, the problem is with grounding. Now I need help, where to find grounding points for puddle lights?

I have tried to look schmatics but don’t know how to read them right. Help!

S8 quattro 6-gang PF / 200 quattro 20V / 944 Turbo / 500 SEC

Instagram @hptalli
Old 16th October 2020, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heksi View Post
However, when I take a wire and ground the puddle light minus end to, for example, door hinges with some bare metal, the lights turn on!
Good info there thanks. I hear you on the schematics btw, and man tearing apart old plastic is nerve-wracking. Me, I'd probably just make a new ground point (bad me).
Old 17th October 2020, 12:00 AM

Default puddool lights update (shop says)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heksi View Post
I have problems with FL, FR and RR door puddle lights, and I have partially found a solution.

All microswitches work, they can tell when the door is open or closed. However, the puddle and red square lights don’t light up. However, when I take a wire and ground the puddle light minus end to, for example, door hinges with some bare metal, the lights turn on!

So, the problem is with grounding. Now I need help, where to find grounding points for puddle lights?

I have tried to look schmatics but don’t know how to read them right. Help!
Well shop tells me that it's the central locking module, they seem quite certain. I just happen to have one on hand, does anyone know if it needs to be programmed/coded? Also, Heksi... while I'm at it, do you happen to have the wire's color that you grounded? I guess I should be able to pop the red lens out and see that tho... Thanks

Last edited by Shel155; 17th October 2020 at 12:56 AM.
Old 17th October 2020, 06:40 AM

Stranger and stranger. Well I hooked up my spare central lock module, and get the exact same thing. Found a couple odd things tho, one is that when it's doing it's "puddle lights on for a second then back off", if I open and close any door several times, I can get them to stay on- any door. Then I'll shut it again and it will go back to on...off, then I can repeat the openings and get them to stay on and it will do this with either lock module, just that with the spare, the remote won't work (needs coded). Oh and if I get one door to stay "on" I can then open any of the other doors and get that one to work with no problem also. Second odd thing is, I found if I leave the yellow connector disconnected on the module (middle of three) the puddle lights all work fine, they stay onwith either module, plug it back in and they all revert to on...off. Two bad modules? So I guess my options are, I can try this: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ial_Procedures ? And/or I can try a third module. Repair the circuit board on one of them? I'll look around a bit on that. Does seem somehow to be the module, all of my grounds checked out fine.