A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 4th January 2017, 02:32 PM

Default Apple AMI Cable

I'm currently using a USB cable with a 16gb stick in my AMI and it works fine, no issues really but I'm keen to use either my iPhone or iPod.

Mainly because of Amazon Music or at least the theory I have of Amazon Music.

My Theory is that I'll be able to play the downloaded songs from Amazon music without having to unplug the device.

I've recently bought 3 genuine Audi cables, 2 for the iPod (old 30pin connection) and one for lighting connection(4F0051510AC).

I bought two cables for the old 30 pin as apparently there are two different types, 1 for 2g and 1 for 3g.
One cable didn't work and the other did work for about 5mins, then stopped working and never worked again.
I've tried this on other AMI and other A8s but it didn't work. So I have up.

Work gave me a new iPhone and I bought the lighting cable (4F0051510AC) and tested that.
That didn't work.

Is anyone using an apple product with their AMI, how is it going?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 4th January 2017, 05:20 PM

There was a firmware update for the AMI that sorted some Apple compatibilty, especially with the newer IOS versions. Problem is AMI has not been updated for a few years, so may not be compatible with the latest iOS version.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...nline-DOWNLOAD
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 4th January 2017, 05:25 PM

I went through a number of them that didn't work, then finally found the one that did. For the life of me, I can't remember what colour the collar was on that one!

At the moment, I'm using the 30-pin AMI cable and an Apple 30-pin to Lightning converter.

I'm convinced it doesn't sound as good as the AMI lightning cable that did work, but it seemed a wasteful amount to spend at the time, so i returned it in favour of the cheaper option (which is distinctly unlike me!)

2008 Audi S8
Old 8th January 2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
There was a firmware update for the AMI that sorted some Apple compatibilty, especially with the newer IOS versions. Problem is AMI has not been updated for a few years, so may not be compatible with the latest iOS version.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...nline-DOWNLOAD
Various complications with A8 AMI iPod cables have arisen due to not having the latest/last version of firmware in the AMI. I've seen reference to this USB version of AMI code that Mannyo references, but it's not needed, as far as I am aware, for the A8 AMI.

The final firmware version - 0850 - originally came on the 5150 MMI CD and was on the 5570 one too. A VCDS scan for an AMI at the final level should like like this:-

Address xx: Media Player x (R199) Labels: 4E0-035-785.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 035 785 F HW: 4E0 035 785 C
Component: SG ext.Player H20 0850
Revision: 00000000
Coding: 010000

xx and x vary depending on which optical bus interface the AMI is connected.

Without access to VCDS you can check the SW part number and the level number - 0850 - using the 'red screen' in the MMI

If you're not at SW 4E0 035 785F, which is the part number for the 0850 firmware, you need to update the AMI. For cars at 5570, this is not normally a problem if the AMIs been in the car a long time but a retro fitted AMI may not be at the correct level.

Regards - Julian

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!
Old 8th January 2017, 07:24 PM

thanks for the link Manny.

I've got 2 different 30pin cables, 2 usb cables and 1 lighting cable.
Only the USB cables work.

I'm not sure what version my AMI is. I bought it from Audi direct about a year ago.
What's the chances of that having the latest version?

I'll try Manny's link and see if I can update via USB.

I don't have a CD player any more.
Any ideas if the USB don't work?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 8th January 2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD3 View Post
I'm not sure what version my AMI is.
The 'Red Menu' is a useful general diagnostic for the MMI and its attached devices and shows ALL the connected units with their MMI BUS ID and Hardware [HW] and Software [SW] versions (with dates).

With the MMI started, you need to press and hold 'Setup' and while continuing to hold 'Setup' press 'Return' as well. After about 5 secs, the Red menu appears and list all the car's devices. Scroll down to the AMI [see 0 Config-b]and press the big button and you'll get a screen of info [see 8 AMI].

Julian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8 AMI.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	15378   Click image for larger version

Name:	0 Config-b.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	15379  

Old 8th January 2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianHicks View Post
The 'Red Menu' is a useful general diagnostic for the MMI and its attached devices and shows ALL the connected units with their MMI BUS ID and Hardware [HW] and Software [SW] versions (with dates).

With the MMI started, you need to press and hold 'Setup' and while continuing to hold 'Setup' press 'Return' as well. After about 5 secs, the Red menu appears and list all the car's devices. Scroll down to the AMI [see 0 Config-b]and press the big button and you'll get a screen of info [see 8 AMI].

Julian
Cool.
i'll do that tomorrow.
Old 13th January 2017, 05:41 PM

Finally checked the red menu on my AMI and its at 0850 already.

Could be a faulty cable.
The iPhone doesn't show a charging symbol.
Old 14th January 2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD3 View Post
Finally checked the red menu on my AMI and its at 0850 already.
Good; at least you know it's not the AMI level now.

[Someone else on this forum had trouble with various cables until we found out his AMI was downlevel - there were at least 3 versions of AMI firmware. Updating to the 0850 code solved his problems].

Julian