A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 16th June 2011, 06:38 AM

I have used spacer plates, i explored options of machining the heads and or the pistons or changing the pistons but met with a brick wall. There is not enough material to consider machining and changing the pistons would be seriously expensive.

The plates were made for me by Ferriday Engineering a few years ago now http://www.ferriday.co.uk/

I wanted an intercooler/charge cooler but the decision taken was that it would restrict airflow too much, in this design there is also very little room to accommodate the cooler.

There is still the possibility of going down the water/methanol injection route but we are going to get the fuelling sorted first and see where we are at. Injectors are on standard duty cycle at the minute with the 1 bar increase in fuel pressure but I am going to be replacing with them as part of the remapping process.. The car still retains the original MAF.
Old 16th June 2011, 04:04 PM
Banned

wow no intercooler at 1 bar boost ? thats quite an amount of boost to be running with out any cooling if you dont mind me saying, will be intresting to see it all come along, how dose the standard maf cope with 1bar boost ? as i looked into the same project and discovered that it will only process readings up to 10psi = a lean mix of fuel to air ratio. oh how think are the decomp plates to lower it down to to that ? are they about 5mm ?

have you made an intake manifold up or a plate adaptor ?

i have been looking into this for a while and im itching to get my prosess started too
Old 16th June 2011, 05:41 PM

MAF is in the air filter box. Looks like he kept air filter with intake and throttle body and then it runs into supercharger so MAF is metering air at atmospheric pressure.
From pictures it looks that supercharger sits upside down in the place of original manifold and a custom made manifold on top of it. 1 bar is quite a bit without intercooler but I guess there is no space to squeeze in supercharger and a separate manifold with decent sized piping to and from intercooler unless You cut a hole in bonnet.
Old 16th June 2011, 06:25 PM

Spot on

I cant recall the thickness of the plates it really has been that long since I had them made, but im sure they are not as think as 5mm, more like 2mm from memory.

I'll post a few more pics later showing some of the build process that may help
Old 16th June 2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

yes that will be great im thinking of starting with an eaton m12 or something similar and running about 5-6 psi boost on standard compression ratio and then when its all up and running maybe think about some plates and upping the boost, im still not sure if id be better off with a centrifugal type charger and mount it where the abs module is and have piping run round through the standard intake but finding a fair priced one is hard second hand
Old 16th June 2011, 07:44 PM

Remember Guy, there may be some differences between yours and matt's, his being a 32v and yours a 40v. But I hear the 40v is easier to do. I bet the car feels silly quick with 450 BHP eh Matt? That was an awesome car already.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 16th June 2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Jagu...7#ht_500wt_949

im thinking of adapting something like this ?? how far off is the inlet manifold from this could a plate to adapt it be made i wander ??
Old 16th June 2011, 08:07 PM

Thats basically the same charger as mine, but expect it to be very hard to fit, it Might not even clear the bonnett with that inlet manifold on it. As Singh said mine is a 32v which is very different from yours, I believe your inlet ports are flat where as mine are angled.

5-6psi is doable as its the same principle that MTM, PES and the likes use.
Old 16th June 2011, 08:13 PM
Banned

yes well i did pdf a format for everything il see if i can find it maybe it will help with things
but yes i think a low boost application is a good place for me to start of course its all going to take months to come together but i can think of nothing better than showing up at one of the future meets with a supercharger on a 40v v8 thats got to be a rarity in the a8 and s8
Old 16th June 2011, 08:20 PM

A few more pics for you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2012   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	2013   Click image for larger version