A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 6th May 2016, 09:59 PM

Question Radio reception weird

Hello, this is my first post on this forum so please be kind..
Ive brought mysef an audi A8 d2 2002 and have some faults with it that iam tying to sort a i go along.The most annoying one is no reception on the radio, its a symphony with the front loading cd multiplay.
When the car (radio) is cold the recepton is fine but as the radio gets warm with use after about 10 mins or so the reception fades out till its gone completely.
I have checked all conections at the back of the radio and all are ok.
I have changed the diverstiy switch in the n/s c pillar with one i got from A8 parts but still no joy.
Any help would be cool? Many thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 07:29 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

It might be a component fault in the head unit itself.

If the head unit is pulled out but still connected, as far as the cables will allow, does the fault still occur? If it does, you could try locating the fault by cooling parts of the set with 'freezer spray':
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SERVISOL-20...dp/B000ZZSPRK/

You could use the freezer spray initially to determine whether or not the fault lies in the head unit. If it appears that the head unit is faulty, the simplest route might be to source a replacement head unit. Or, if you're feeling ambitious, you could continue, with the lid off the head unit, to try to locate the faulty component.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th May 2016, 09:21 AM

Depending on where you're located, I've got a spare Symphony head unit taken out of our C5 A6 when the internal CD changer died. The radio was working perfectly so you could potentially swap over and see if the symptoms go or not?

If they do you should be able to swap the fascia and CD changer internals from your unit to the working radio from this one?

Just a thought

I picked up a refurb symphony head unit for under £200, but to be honest if it's bricked it may be better to fit a modern double DIN head unit with bluetooth and nav to update the interior if the car's a keeper?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 8th May 2016, 12:08 AM

Default Still wierd?

Yeah i'll prob go down the aftermarket route if i cant sus'it this weekend. Going to check the power to the diverstiy switch tomorrow, hopefully its not a fauty unit i've brought?
Does anyone know where to get a aftermarket radio adapter trim from, will the A6 one fit??!
Old 8th May 2016, 07:52 AM

You can trim a C5 A6 one to fit - it's how you get an RNS-E into an S8

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 8th May 2016, 08:31 AM

Watch out if the D2 has the Bose sound system, going aftermarket is not straight forward due to all the speakers being driven by an amplifier in the boot.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 8th May 2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
Watch out if the D2 has the Bose sound system, going aftermarket is not straight forward due to all the speakers being driven by an amplifier in the boot.
Not that hard:

Autoleads PC9-410 - connects pre-outs on an aftermarket head unit to the original harness to drive the Bose amp
Old 9th May 2016, 07:23 AM

Default PC9-404 half amp

Ordered audi a6 c5 fasica and a pc9- 404 adaptor with aerial amp and these should be with me by wenesday.
Just going to fit a sony single din for now but is quite a good spec unit tbf.. the fascia that i ordered will fiit single and double din, so can upgrade later on...

Tags
diversity, radio, reception, symphony