A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 14th November 2010, 09:07 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Default Fitting aftermarket HIDs

Today I was mostly fitting some after-market HIDs that I bought because I gave bum advice. (Don't feel guilty Darren! ) Turns out that they would not fit the dipped beam on the projekt but would replace the Fogs. So here goes. This process is also the same for any after market HID.

To make this easy just remove the bumper and trims below the headlights.

2 bolts in the lower outer grills here:

This is the kit I am using and the pair of LED sidelights next to them I got here. I already have a pair of these on the S8 along with after market HID dipped beams.

Remember to ease out the inner wing liners or the bumper will not come away. Once it's off you have unfettered acces and a great mounting point for the ballasts.

As you can see I have cable tied mine in place with 4 butch ties. The kit comes with mounting brackets but as I used this method on the S8 and have had no issues, I have done it again. When I get the HIDs for the dipped beam I will mount alongside or maybe piggyback.

The rear cover of the cluster neads a hole cut in the bottom for the wiring.

Once done you can see the difference with the side lights

The fogs:

A couple of tips.

A. The ballasts need a lot of voltage and only one would fire if the engine was not running. Took me a while to realise this. The fogs would splutter and then only one would light on the battery alone.

B. Fitting the bulbs was fiddly and in the end I removed both clusters. The first came off to repair and had gone back on before I started the HID. The bulbs have a plastic moulding and are thicker than the metal ones that they replaced, so a little bit of judicial bending was required to get the locking spring back in.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 14th November 2010, 08:05 PM

but remember folks...aftermarket HID is for show use only. I'm fed up of being blinded by dodgy HID's bolted onto a large selection of chav'd up wonders around my area. To be legal HID's need headlamp washers and auto levelling, of course, no one on here would ever consider running HID's pointing at pluto.
Old 14th November 2010, 08:28 PM

They are needed in the PF D2 though.. those lights sucked.

Another method of fitting the ballasts is to take the headlights out and you can reach down to the same brace Mike used above and cable tie them on (that's how I did it).

I know.. I know..

Old 15th November 2010, 08:38 PM

mike can you have front fogs on with dipped beam on the pf ? sometimes i drive with dipped beam and hid fogs as it give very good light on dark roads without blinding oncoming traffic
Old 16th November 2010, 06:24 PM

Yes you can Darren, my PF fog lamps are able to be turned on at the same time as the headlamp dip or main.

HTH

I'd agree that the standard lighting needs upgrading, previously on other vehicles, I've fitted the likes of H4 130/90w's, which have considerably improved visibility, especially on the 'bike, but am in a bit of a quandry with my S8, as they're wierdo modern fittings and I so far haven't found any suitable replacements at sensible money....... any suggestions?

Also..... Mike, I like the sidelights you have fitted, are they the 15 led ones?

regards,

Richard.

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!

Last edited by Night Train; 16th November 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 16th November 2010, 07:15 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Yes they are; and they don't cause bulb faults on the DIS.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.

Previously
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:28 PM

Brilliant - literally

Thanks again Mike...

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
Old 17th November 2010, 01:12 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@fink View Post
but remember folks...aftermarket HID is for show use only. I'm fed up of being blinded by dodgy HID's bolted onto a large selection of chav'd up wonders around my area. To be legal HID's need headlamp washers and auto levelling, of course, no one on here would ever consider running HID's pointing at pluto.
Technically, legally and morally correct! But then the best things in life are either illigal, immoral or fattening.

A well set up aftermarket HID does more good than harm. I can see far better at night with them.
Washers only work when used and you have to stop and get out of the car to see if thay have been effective. Self leveling only works when you are 'not level' for more than a few seconds. So the bump/pothole will momentarily blind the oncoming driver no matter how good the self leveling system. Of course if you fill the back of your car with lead from the church roof and put the three well built thugs who helped you remove it in the back you should (morally) adjust your headlights before making your getaway!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,

Previously
Old 17th November 2010, 06:13 PM

which is the best kind of correct
Old 9th December 2010, 03:11 PM

Hi Mike, I fitted a pair of the LED sidelights, they really do make a difference to the front end aesthetics, they stand out more than my dip, fog or main beams which now look decidedly yellow when lit up......

Damn it, I'm just going to have to convert the dip beams to HID, I've seen a 55w (rather than the 35w) 6000k kit with 'digital' ballasts from HID's4You... any comments?

Thanks...

Other vehicles

Tags
fit