A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 11th November 2015, 01:43 PM

Does anyone know what the third option shown does on the terraclean link posted.

It claims to be a system for cleaning DI engine like the fsi engines.

Even if it does, where does all that crap go, if it loosened a big lump of carbon that would have to go past the valves get compressed during compression stroke then fired out the exhaust and then meet the cat's???

I do think mechanical cleaning is the only sensible way to go and I may invest in a setup to blast the posts in mine.

It also allows the access to determine the health of the change over flaps at the same time.

Old 11th November 2015, 08:02 PM

Mitsubishi do a machine for cleaning the backs of the valves for there GDI engines that suffered with valve carbon build up , it is a air fed pressure nozzle that uses .... wait for it ...... crushed nuts .... crushed Brazil nut cases to be exact , close the valves give em a blast then vaccum out any debris .

Don't want dirty valves or dirty manifolds ?? Get rid of the Black Death maker ..... EGR
Old 12th November 2015, 09:17 AM

My end of October MOT only had one advisory and that was verbal:-

"PUT YOUR BLOODIE FOOT DOWN, your wife is killing it on these school runs"

SWMBO has been shown how to hold it in first on the local dual carriageway.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 12th November 2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
They do have electrical heating element in them so should be getting up to temp anyway.
The sensors do, but he was referring to the exhaust gasses they measure, as in the engine doesn't run really hot for long periods, which I understand, guilty as charged

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 12th November 2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
My end of October MOT only had one advisory and that was verbal:-

"PUT YOUR BLOODIE FOOT DOWN, your wife is killing it on these school runs"
Pretty much the same as me, but no wife and no school runs to blame.......guilty as charged

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 12th November 2015, 09:52 AM

Hmmm
Last month I did 278miles
My trip to work is lesst then 5 miles one way
I bought a petrol to avoid flaps, dpf,egr problems
Whole scenerio is weird....don't buy a diesel if you do short runs now even petrol !!!!!
Come on it doesn't make sense
I'm not really a fan of put your foot down idea-in my opinion this is when things go wrong with the car
Need to buy a Punto ha ha
Old 12th November 2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcanico Lee View Post
Mitsubishi do a machine for cleaning the backs of the valves for there GDI engines that suffered with valve carbon build up , it is a air fed pressure nozzle that uses .... wait for it ...... crushed nuts .... crushed Brazil nut cases to be exact , close the valves give em a blast then vaccum out any debris .

Don't want dirty valves or dirty manifolds ?? Get rid of the Black Death maker ..... EGR
Crushed walnut shells was the standard way of cleaning the main engine gas turbines (2 x Olympus and 2 x Tyne) on Her Majesty's war canoes fitted with that GT propulsion systems. Fired through when the GT was running at idle. Got rid of salt and other deposits on the turbine blades. Its a pity they didnt use chestnuts then we could have had roast chestnuts..... As a matter of interest the turbines were run on marine diesel not aviation kerosene.
Old 12th November 2015, 04:42 PM

So we can run the crushed walnut through the engine when its running, that will save me buying the blasting kit.

Just invert the air inlet and pour in

Old 12th November 2015, 05:00 PM

Something to do with all those Christmas time walnut shells left over.... don't bin 'em... crush 'em up and stick 'em up your intakes... just don't stand by the exhausts or you'll get sandblasted..