A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 13th August 2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
If the DIS is showing that boot is open maybe there is a piece of luggage stuck between boot and body putting too much pressure on the lock so that it does not unlock or open.
Or something broken/jammed in the mechanism. Either way a really good push/slam on the boot may "force the issue".
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th August 2016, 10:23 PM

No luck yet. No one is working here tomorrow (Sunday). Will try to call ADAC 1st thing in the morning.

I'm trying all possible combinations to try to open boot lid as you guys suggested.

Does anyone know if I remove the rear bumper will I get access to two screws/bolts/nuts that hold the part of the latch mechanism that is permanently attached to chassis? Kind of П-shape bracket? Can someone post a ETKA/ELSA picture here or a photograph of the area looking from below the car with rear bumper removed?

Cheers

Last edited by notorious; 13th August 2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 14th August 2016, 10:14 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

What happens when you try to use the key to open the boot?

I found that the lock on my boot wouldn't open with the key a while ago. Couldn't even get the key all the way in. Turned out it was just gunked-up with dirt. I sprayed lots of lubricant into the lock, repeatedly pushing the key in and out, and eventually it freed up.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 14th August 2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Does anyone know if I remove the rear bumper will I get access to two screws/bolts/nuts that hold the part of the latch mechanism that is permanently attached to chassis? Kind of П-shape bracket? Can someone post a ETKA/ELSA picture here or a photograph of the area looking from below the car with rear bumper removed?

Cheers
Unfortunately not - it's held on from the inside by a couple of bolts in to captive nuts inside the box-section of the rear panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d2_bootlid.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	13963  
Old 14th August 2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
What happens when you try to use the key to open the boot?

I found that the lock on my boot wouldn't open with the key a while ago. Couldn't even get the key all the way in. Turned out it was just gunked-up with dirt. I sprayed lots of lubricant into the lock, repeatedly pushing the key in and out, and eventually it freed up.
This would be my approach also. Risky approach to get more leverage is to open the key half way, so it is L shaped (assuming flick key)....... Got me out of a similar issue once before, but did feel as though it could have just ended up with a broken key also!!!!
Old 14th August 2016, 03:15 PM

Good luck. Someone we know with a VW Phaeton (back when they were new) got to a hotel and the boot wouldn't open because the strap of an overnight back was trapped. The AA were called out and used two airbags that slid under the lower lip of the boot and blew it open. It didn't even damage it and worked normally afterwards.
Old 14th August 2016, 03:35 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Guys, he's got it sorted!

There was a solution on a Russian web site Which Se grey will post when he gets home. Basically, he removed the number plate a drilled a hole in a specific place which allowed him to insert a screwdriver to pull the rod on the lock mechanism and open the boot.

When we get the finer details, I think I'll drill that hole just in case!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 14th August 2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 14th August 2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
When we get the finer details, I think I'll drill that hole just in case!
Me too. I'll be taking all that stuff off and drilling a hole for the reversing camera cable so it makes sense to do that as well.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd August 2016, 06:59 PM

Solution: drill a hole behind the number plate to access tensioning rod that drives the latch.
In my situation the latch itself was fine.
It was the 'button' mechanism which failed to pull the rod to unlock the latch.

Drill a hole of at least 6mm in diameter in order to be able to put screwdriver through the hole.

Position of the hole:
- 92mm from the seam between plastic number plate surround and aluminium boot lid cover.
- 400 mm from the right hand side boot lid cover edge (the seam between the lenses).

Schematic drawing:

On picture below notice the black 'T', which is the intersection of two black maker lines after the exact measurement:

Now drill the hole. You will have to drill through the plastic number plate surround and trough the aluminium boot lid cover.
In that particular area there is only one sheet of aluminium, which is about 1mm thick.

Through the hole you will see vertical metal rod (it will actually look like two metal rods sitting together side by side).

Insert a screwdriver so that it will sit to the left of the vertical rod and push the rod rightwards.
The boot will open.

You can then paint edges of the hole and insert rubber cover.
Here is the area after proper repair. Larger hole in the plastic surround to provide finger access to tightly sitting rubber cover.

I used rubber cover that lives on the inside edge of the boot lid cover (can be ordered from A8 Parts ):

If it'll happen again life will be much easier

Here is how the area looks like from the inside.
Edges of hole are painted and hole is sealed by rubber cover.
The vertical 'double rod' is the one that you push with screwdriver rightwards.
I know this last picture makes little sense, but after you remove internal boot trim everything will become bleeding obvious.

Good luck! Any questions -- shout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v12gut.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	14033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5398 (1).jpg
Views:	818
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	14034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5399 (1).jpg
Views:	865
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	14035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6853.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	14036   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6851.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	14037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6852.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	14039  

Last edited by notorious; 24th August 2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 23rd August 2016, 07:57 PM

Great write up and very useful to know if you need it.
From a security point of view, would it be better removed from an open forum and offer to PM the info to any members on here that need it ?
Maybe theres no point if it is easily found on a russian website.