A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 16th November 2016, 06:31 PM

Default S8 D3 coilovers?

Just thinking out loud here...

Newbie so don't shoot

Can the OEM suspension be removed and converted to coilover suspension?

Mine has a leak, and the previous owner has tried a number different fixes, new struts, new compressor, still slow leak on the front...

I'm thinking if I have no joy, what are my options??
Old 16th November 2016, 06:37 PM

I have never looked into it personally, but how about the distribution valve in the passenger wheel arch near the A pillar??
Damaged air line?? If it's a driver side front then air line for it runs along the steering rack on the back/bottom ish of the engine bay
Have you got any proof of the actual strut and compressor being replaced to try and rectify the problem ??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 16th November 2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N11LS_J View Post
Can the OEM suspension be removed and converted to coilover suspension?
The short answer is yes, it can be done. I've heard of it and seen it done, on another forum a while ago I think it was. I'd imagine it won't be cheap (I'm thinking Bilstein or Eibach). If you want it done properly I'd consult AMD in Essex personally. Good guys and they know what they are doing when it comes to custom set ups.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 17th November 2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
I have never looked into it personally, but how about the distribution valve in the passenger wheel arch near the A pillar??
Damaged air line?? If it's a driver side front then air line for it runs along the steering rack on the back/bottom ish of the engine bay
Have you got any proof of the actual strut and compressor being replaced to try and rectify the problem ??
I've not looked into it just yet as the car is still off the road, but I believe the previous owner had a nightmare trying to rectify this slow leak, so dreading what I come across!
Old 17th November 2016, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
The short answer is yes, it can be done. I've heard of it and seen it done, on another forum a while ago I think it was. I'd imagine it won't be cheap (I'm thinking Bilstein or Eibach). If you want it done properly I'd consult AMD in Essex personally. Good guys and they know what they are doing when it comes to custom set ups.
Nothing's listed anywhere on the net about a off the shelf kit being available, so like you suggest a custom setup might be the only way...
Old 17th November 2016, 09:42 AM

The few threads I have seen about this being done ends up being a pain in regards to the car complaining that the level control system is malfunctioning. And they were never able to code it or do otherwise to fix it. Also things like headlight level control is tied to it. So worth keeping mind if your going to down that route.

Old 17th November 2016, 10:11 AM

I have seen it on American forums with photos but not something I would consider so didn't note the details but it is out there somewhere.

EDIT* Are you using Bing?
http://pbbrakes.com/audi-a8-d3-coilo...nsion-kit.html
http://www.strutmasters.com/products...onversion-kit/
Old 17th November 2016, 02:01 PM

Can you see that it has new front struts as these are fortunes of the dealer ....perhaps second hand ones ??

Use the lift function and put the car to full height ....then activate jacking mode to lock the settings in ......do not lock the car up as it may knock it out of that mode .

See if the car drops now , what this does is move the rolled edge of the air bag to another area away from the place where they crack and become pourous .

If it does not drop that rules the pipe work out from leg to corner valve .....if the pipe work is chaffed it will still drop .

We do alot of land rovers with air legs .....on them i put them to full height and remove battery lead as even dormant the car can still intevene and lower the other legs to the leaking legs height to keep the car equal and balanced .........thats why one leg leaking can have the affect of dropping the whole car on its arse ......then the compressor has to works its arse off to get the car back to ride height thus over working the compressor till it gives up .
Old 17th November 2016, 02:20 PM

Under the aluminium cover on the air legs it like this

When you go to full height the strut sits on a 'new ' area so the cracking is not as exposed .

Gone off on a tangent here as your on about coil overs ....I wouldn't want to take the air suspension off ...when it's good you cannot beat it ....self levelling and the ride quality and so on
Old 22nd January 2017, 04:34 PM

Stumbled across these and remembered this thread.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121969965516

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White