A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 30th March 2019, 10:19 PM

Default What's in the workshop this week? Jim's black Final Edition

Its that time again Jim (The Laird) brought his spotless black FE down for new cam tensioners as they are rattling on start up. I'm going to pull the engine and re-seal everything as it has a few leaks, plus a general tidy up and fettling in the engine bay as it's on 180K miles now.

Here's Jim's (left) next to Stephen's (What was in the workshop last week) before it came in to the workshop:

First job on Thursday was to remove the bumper and headlights in preparation for pulling the front end. I left the front panel in place as I needed to move the car off the lift on Friday, but then got back on it today

A small pile of bits starting

>> to today:

Split front snubber mount - that's pretty standard so I keep them in stock.

So this is how its going to be then? Two snapped bolts taking the front panel off I'll deal with these later.

One of the oil cooler bolts in the rad too. This is going to be fun I can see a special tool in my future...

A bit grubby under here after 180K miles

We can fix that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	20999   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	21000   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	21001   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	21002   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	21003   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	1128
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	21004   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	21005   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	21006   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	21007   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	21008  

Old 30th March 2019, 10:27 PM

Ick - the traditional D2 oil leaks...

Definitely due a timing belt - this gap is 5mm with a new belt:

Everything on the top disconnected:

The standard broken junction box. I keep those in stock too

Ready to come out:

Lift the car off the top:

Pick it up with the crane and remove the trolley

Put it to one side for tomorrow. I need to park 2 more D2s in the workshop overnight so Jim's has top bunk on the lift.

Ready to mount to the separating table tomorrow

Up in the air while I do the engine

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	21009   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	21010   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	21011   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	21012   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	21013   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	21014   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	21015   Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	21016   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	21017   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	21018  

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	21019   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	21020   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	21021  
Old 30th March 2019, 10:33 PM

Amazing work that will be one happy owner when its returned!
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 31st March 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Its that time again Jim (The Laird) brought his spotless black FE down for new cam tensioners as they are rattling on start up.
Is this the 'death rattle' on the D2s that has been mentioned over the years?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 31st March 2019, 09:21 AM

Yeah that's it. The chain tensioners use oil pressure to keep the chain tight between the two camshafts on each head. As they wear inside (I think its o-rings) they develop a tendancy to leak away residual oil pressure while the engine isn't running and they lose their push on the chain so it gets loose. When the engine starts again, the inlet cam is pulled so far by the driven exhaust cam, but then when it gets over-centre on a lobe it jumps forward, pushed by the valve springs. It then pulls the chain tight and slaps it on the tensioner pad - that's the noise that makes the rattle. After a few rotations of the engine there is enough oil pressure to tighten the chain and it stops making the noise.

It starts with rattle on cold start, but Jim's had got to the point where it would rattle on hot-start too so the tensioners are losing pressure quite quickly so need changing asap since the slap of the chain obviously doesn't help the life of the plastic pads.

I've tried changing the oil retention valves which keep oil in the heads on shutdown but they have no effect. Its oil pressure leaking past the piston in the tensioner that is the problem.

I did have an idea about using a thing called an 'Accusump' which is basically an oil pressure accumulator used on race cars. This would collect oil under pressure while the engine is running, store it while it's off, and then release it all when the key is turned. Theoretically this would put pressure in to the tensioners before the engine fires and therefore stop the slap. This would be cheaper than replacing the tensioners (£576 each!!), but wouldn't actually fix the problem of the tensioners bleeding off oil pressure. I think it might actually mask it such that you wouldn't know there was an issue until they bleed so much pressure that the engine has an oil pressure problem.

I did see someone post on FB about rebuilding the tensioners with new o-rings which is worth investigating. I can't see how they come apart in a fashion where they can be put back together but I have some dead ones which I can cut in half. At some point we're going to run out of new ones so we need to find a solution of some sort!
Old 31st March 2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
It then pulls the chain tight and slaps it on the tensioner pad - that's the noise that makes the rattle. After a few rotations of the engine there is enough oil pressure to tighten the chain and it stops making the noise.
A brilliant explanation that even I can understand from a non-mechanic mind.

One more question before getting back on topic with Jim's car. I'm assuming this is why the tensioner pads wear excessively, and why you replace them (although it doesn't resolve the underlying issue)?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 31st March 2019, 11:21 AM

The tensioner pads wear simply because they're made of plastic and are pressing against a steel chain running over them at considerable speed. It's designed obsolescence - almost all of them made it through their ten year warranty and they're now exceeding their 15-year expected lifespan. Audi don't care if they all explode at this point.

The pads are made of nylon 4.6. If they wanted them to last longer, they could have used a different material like UHMW polyethylene, Acetal, even PTFE, and provided an oil feed to the wear surface to further reduce friction. This would have been more expensive though. Nylon 4.6 lasts longer than the warranty so it will do.

Once the pads are sufficiently worn, they crack and fall apart whereupon the engine shreds itself. A loose chain slapping on worn pads makes them more likely to shatter, but is not the cause of the wear in the first place.

I replace the pads on non-rattly tensioners to avoid them shattering, but the tensioners will still wear out eventually.
Old 31st March 2019, 01:15 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Great work MJ

Good to see my car's twin getting some attention

I need to arrange to get mine down to you some time in the near future for a bit of TLC and a few relatively minor jobs, but mainly for the tensioner pads, even though I have no start-up rattle .... yet! (130K miles). In my ten years of ownership I have always changed the oil far more frequently than is necessary though ... I mean obsessively frequently. Whenever it goes into the garage for anything, I usually ask them to drop the oil again. So sometimes it'll get 3 or more oil changes in a year, even though I'm averaging at just 5K-6K miles annually. I wonder if that's helped the tensioner seals to last a bit longer?

Quote:
At some point we're going to run out of new ones so we need to find a solution of some sort!
If there's any risk that new ones are going to become NLA, please order some for mine. I'll pay you in advance for them.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 31st March 2019, 01:52 PM

Great to see how you are turning back the clock (metaphorically) on Jim's car MJ. Excellent tread.
Jim, I bet you're looking forward to getting back into it again. I know I would be.
Old 31st March 2019, 04:17 PM

Mark, I just checked if they fit anything else and they are also used in the D3 so we should have supply for another 5 years in theory.