A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 1st March 2022, 03:06 PM

Default Is there a definitive guide to component protection?

Is there a list anywhere as to what has component protection on a D3?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 1st March 2022, 05:23 PM

The following page has a list of components that have CP:

http://www.audi-resource.com/componentprotection.php

I've copied the relevant text to here just in case that page disappears at some point in the future:

Which modules have component protection

CD changer
SDS module
MMI controller
Can Gateway
Amplifier Modules
Driver Identification module
Air con control
Instrument Cluster

Modules without protection

Radio module
DAB radio
TV tuner
Navigation module
AMI
BT modules
SAP modules
Parking Controller

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 2nd March 2022, 03:43 PM

Thank you that's brilliant. Do you know if the MMI controller is part of the buttons or separate?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 2nd March 2022, 04:12 PM

I think the MMI controller 'is' part of the centre console controls, assuming we're talking about this item:

If yours has a buttons problem, then you could just swap out the circuit board, as from the posts I've read, that's what has the CP on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 D3 MMI Control.jpg
Views:	1224
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	27967  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:21 AM

Yes that's the bit I'm talking about. Buttons are fine (so far), but may play around with a different one at some point so wanted to know if it triggered CP.
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:52 AM

Not sure about A8, but on C6 A6 you can get aftermarket Chinese buttons and fit them without triggering CP. MMI controller is a separate box. I would suspect A8 is the same but cannot say for 100%

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 3rd March 2022, 07:22 PM

A8 mmi cp is in the ecu behind glovebox,i have swapped cp eproms to avoid triggering
Old 4th March 2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattronutter View Post
A8 mmi cp is in the ecu behind glovebox,i have swapped cp eproms to avoid triggering
Great, thankyou. This means the buttons and board for them around the gear lever can be changed without any CP.
Old 4th March 2022, 08:26 PM

Yes they can be swapped over