PDA

View Full Version : New Windscreen - bad news!

The_Laird
28th July 2015, 07:52 AM
Well, I got an advisory on my MOT for chips in the windscreen, so I asked my insurance company if they'd replace it. That was fine, just £75 and no impact on my NCB. But it wasn't going to be an Audi screen and had to be fitted by Autoglass.

All the arrangements were brilliant. I made an appointment to get it done at home, they confirmed the time slot and the 'technician' called to say exactly when he'd arrive.

BUT - the screen doesn't fit flush in the top offside corner and they've marked the interior trim on the A pillar (see photos).

A "more experienced technician" is coming again on Friday!

tersono
28th July 2015, 09:31 AM
Oh dear. FWIW I had autoglass replace the screen in my old D2 and it was fine. I've had issues with them for other cars, though - not all of their installation guys are up to to the job.

Hope the 'more experienced technician' sorts the problem!

PsYcHe
28th July 2015, 09:36 AM
And hopefully he brings a replacement A pillar cover too as that stuff usually soaks in a bit.

Dezzy
28th July 2015, 10:12 AM
Did he walk away from it like that?

They don't remove the old gunk just cut it back, put the new gunk in and drop the glass on top. The nozzle of the gunk has a groove cut into it and that makes the gunk go to a point.

When i first had the 8 my car pass used to wedge in between the screen and the pillar, but after having a new one fitted it won't as the screen is further out than it used to be. But not to that degree.

+1 for the trim panel, i'll be surprised if that stuff will come off.

Goran
28th July 2015, 11:37 AM
Jim tell the next Autoglass guy he better not scratch the paintwork facing the glass when he takes the screen out again, you don't want any chance of corrosion under there. I heard that's what happened to someone on here.

notorious
28th July 2015, 05:13 PM
Only install Audi genuine windscreen and only use people who know what they are doing.

This auto glazing industry is in complete mess. Full of amateurs. Professionals don't work for companies like Autoglass. They work for themselves. I'd advice to avoid Autoglass.

When they do the work watch like a hawk. One untreated scratch and consequences will be dire.

David's8
28th July 2015, 05:39 PM
Sorry to hear that Jim. I guess being FE that it wasnt a heated screen? I am surprised they didnt tape the linings off to avoid getting the gunk over it!

moltuae
28th July 2015, 06:53 PM
:(

I hope they're going to compensate you for the damage and inconvenience, or at the very least not charge anything for the new windscreen.

The_Laird
29th July 2015, 06:56 AM
No. it's not a heated screen and I'm going to phone the insurance company this morning to let them know how unhappy I am about the quality of the work.

One other point - if you look at the photo of the ill-fitting screen, does the rubber look in pretty poor shape too? And should they have replaced that?

Dezzy
29th July 2015, 07:42 AM
Yes Jim, that bit of trim is supposed to be replaced but they don't and didn't on mine. They had ordered one in and had it in the workshop but they reused the old one saying that it wasn't damaged when removing.

I'm sure someone posted a Audi process for windscreen and included that trim piece and something to do with spacer blocks too if i remember wrongly.

The_Laird
29th July 2015, 08:35 AM
Yes Jim, that bit of trim is supposed to be replaced but they don't and didn't on mine. They had ordered one in and had it in the workshop but they reused the old one saying that it wasn't damaged when removing.

I'm sure someone posted a Audi process for windscreen and included that trim piece and something to do with spacer blocks too if i remember wrongly.

Thanks Dezzy et al for the input to this.

If anyone can find the Audi process, I'd be much obliged (I've been looking for ages!).

I've phoned the insurance people who have called Autoglass with my concerns. I'm waiting to hear back from Autoglass, but they have agreed to pay the £75 excess already.

Dezzy
29th July 2015, 08:59 AM
Have a look at this one Jim CTL comes good (http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2118&highlight=windscreen) Know i'd seen it somewhere.

David's8
29th July 2015, 11:07 AM
Thanks Dezzy et al for the input to this.

If anyone can find the Audi process, I'd be much obliged (I've been looking for ages!).

The Tech Dump has everything..... look at "Service Manual General Body Assembly Exterior Group" Section 64.

The_Laird
29th July 2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks David :)

The_Laird
31st July 2015, 10:36 AM
Well, the 'experienced technician' has just been and gone. It needs a new outer trim strip and he was only given a new screen!

Apparently, he thinks that it's the trim strip that doesn't fit right as it was probably bent during removal/refitting, and the rubber is an integral part of this.

To add further insult to injury, after I washed it last night (as a flock of giant killer seagulls had left a series of calling cards whilst it was parked at work yesterday), I noticed a scratch on the n/s wing which wasn't there a week ago. Nothing I can't polish out, but I am getting a bit p***ed off with this.

So, I'm now waiting for a call from the warranty team....

notorious
31st July 2015, 10:58 AM
Jim, my advise: Stop engagement with Autoglass before you have more damage to pitchweld and internal trim.

Find a good private glazing technician who takes pride of this work.

FIY my last windscreen change budget:

£575 -- genuine Audi heated windscreen (backorder from Germany)
£200 -- genuine Audi trim (backorder from Germany)
£3 -- genuine Audi spacers to make windscreen sit at the right depth, so the trim sits as it should (optional, as I a knowledgeable tech can create the same spacers on the spot).
£175 cash -- fee of a private glazing guy. It took him 3/4 of a day to to it properly. The most time consuming part is CAREFULLY cutting without scratching/damaging pitchweld + priming small dots and chips that were still there with acid based primer.

I withdrew £110 cash from Aviva after showing them receipts. NCB not affected.

BUT very very happy.

The_Laird
31st July 2015, 11:05 AM
Hmmm, around £750 net for a windscreen? I think I'll give Autoglass one more chance - they've already paid the £75 excess.

notorious
31st July 2015, 11:10 AM
That's heated one. Simple windscreen is cheaper.

Watch that they bring genuine windscreen.

ainarssems
31st July 2015, 12:17 PM
I had windscreen replaced at Audi Northampton on A6 for £330, insurance paid me back £230.