PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Failure

David's8
16th September 2015, 07:11 PM
On removing all 4 wheels for my various brake issues (see other thread) I found that the inside wall of three of my Kumho KU19 tyres had splits. The splits looked like tears rather than cuts (see photo). Two of the tyres were about 2 years old and had 5mm of tread and both had splits whereas of the other 2 (approx 3 years old and which had 3mm each) only one had a straight split high up on the wall. The photos just shows one of the tyres but the other tyres had similar damage. I took them back to my local tyre guy who after much discussion with Kumho agreed to replace all 4 tyres with kumhos at £69 a tyre inc fitting. If I had wanted to change tyres they would not have offered a bean. So, whilst it was another unexpected cost, I thought I was going to have to change at least two of them anyway so it didnt end too badly. JUst another few hundred quid to add to the thermostat failure/timing belt+pulleys/output shaft seal/exhaust repair/rear brake caliper refurb undertaken over the last few weeks!! :(

Architex_mA8tey
16th September 2015, 07:16 PM
Who on earth flogged you this troublesome car in the first place? :rolleyes:
Crikey that's some trail of issues you've had David but at least all of the things you've had done are investments in future longevity of the car. I feel your pain having spent £4200 on replacing my gearbox and MAF plus an MOT a couple of years back but it's a judgement on "do I want to keep the car long term" at the time and of course hopefully ensures that if and when you do sell the car that it's still in tip top condition to get the best possible speed of sale and price +++

David's8
16th September 2015, 07:42 PM
Who on earth flogged you this troublesome car in the first place? :rolleyes:
Crikey that's some trail of issues you've had David but at least all of the things you've had done are investments in future longevity of the car. I feel your pain having spent £4200 on replacing my gearbox and MAF plus an MOT a couple of years back but it's a judgement on "do I want to keep the car long term" at the time and of course hopefully ensures that if and when you do sell the car that it's still in tip top condition to get the best possible speed of sale and price +++

:ROFL: I have this week just exceeded the amount that The Laird spent in his time with the car. I am still winning the "its about normal for annual running costs and, of course, there is little capital depreciation to worry about...." with SWMBO . BUT, she hasnt seen the expenditure spreadsheet!

Adrian E
16th September 2015, 08:34 PM
Potential material defect there - presume the tyres are being returned for examination?

There is guidance on what you can do and what you should expect to happen here:

http://www.btmauk.com/consumer-complaints-tyres/

Keep an eye on the replacements and at the first sign of any similar behaviour get them checked out.

David's8
16th September 2015, 09:32 PM
Potential material defect there - presume the tyres are being returned for examination?

There is guidance on what you can do and what you should expect to happen here:

http://www.btmauk.com/consumer-complaints-tyres/

Keep an eye on the replacements and at the first sign of any similar behaviour get them checked out.

Thanks Adrian. I discussed the option of going down the btma route with the local guy and, given the amount time it would take; the amount of tread left (which determines the amount they might pay out) and the fact that nothing would be done for the fourth, un-damaged tyre with 3mm left, it appeared that the offer of 4 tyres at a good discount was the best option. But I WILL be checking the tyres regularly - especially the inside wall!

mannyo
17th September 2015, 07:18 AM
Are you sure you have not run over anything like broken glass, the damage could simply be caused by running over a large volume of sharp objects at speed.

David's8
17th September 2015, 10:55 AM
Are you sure you have not run over anything like broken glass, the damage could simply be caused by running over a large volume of sharp objects at speed.

Both myself and the tyre guy were sure that the damage was not caused by such things as glass. The tears were in the walls and were ragged just as if they had been pulled apart rather thans sliced.