PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 TDI - front suspension overhaul

centurion
3rd November 2015, 02:46 PM
afternoon,

I'm at that stage in my car's lifetime that I need to replace front suspension on both side hence was wondering could you provide us with any guidance on where to source parts and which make to go for?

in addition, could anyone share with us how to gain access to ETKA or any other similar parts catalogue to get the OEM part numbers?

cheers.

Delboy
3rd November 2015, 03:36 PM
http://garageforum.org/Forum-VAG-Group-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-Bentley

AS for parts I use TPS and play one of the other to get the best price.

centurion
3rd November 2015, 04:51 PM
http://garageforum.org/Forum-VAG-Group-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-Bentley

AS for parts I use TPS and play one of the other to get the best price.

cheers Del... tried the link but it does not take me anywhere.

Is there an online version of etka I could look up on?

tc4332
3rd November 2015, 05:28 PM
Hi Del,
The link took me to a webpage.
What do I do to download/use ETKA?
Cheers
Ray

mattylondon
3rd November 2015, 05:34 PM
Is there an online version of etka I could look up on?

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/eu/

mattylondon
3rd November 2015, 05:36 PM
Hi Del,
The link took me to a webpage.
What do I do to download/use ETKA?
Cheers
Ray

You have to download the ZIP file. Within it there is a text file with the URL's where to download ETKA +++

Delboy
3rd November 2015, 07:49 PM
What Matt said^^^^^

tc4332
5th November 2015, 08:58 AM
OK , I'm starting to stagnate :o
managed to download the zip files, extracted them and landed up with a "ETKA" file on my C drive.
Tried to follow the instructions,

Says "Install Hardlock.exe". Duh, I double click on the file and up comes "Lizensierung" which I think is asking for a registration number.
Says "Run Emulator.exe". Up comes a window with start button, click this and it says already running.

I have given up.

Now SWMBO is demanding that I drop everything and take her shopping.
We are in London this weekend, marching at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.

Adrian E
5th November 2015, 09:12 AM
The hardlock emulator gets around the requirement for a dongle, which official users have as part of their licence. It only works on 32 bit OS so if you have a 64 bit PC that may be the reason for the error. The workaround to that is to install ETKA in a Virtual Machine (I use VMWare Workstation) with a 32 bit operating system installed. Anything beyond XP in a 32 bit flavour will do.

If your OS is 32 bit, try manually disabling the hardlock emulator and restarting it.

Run: ETKA\PROG\hldrv32.exe
Run: ETKA\PROG\emulator.exe Stop (bottom button)
Reboot
Run: ETKA\PROG\emulator.exe Start (top button)

tc4332
5th November 2015, 10:14 AM
Thanks Adrian,
You have just hit the nail right on the head.
I'm using a 64 bit laptop, so I will have another go next week when we are back from London.
If I was going to be on my own I would arrange a meet with you but SWMBO and two 14 year old granddaughters will be with me. Driving down on Friday hoping to be away by 11:00 and in the hotel well before tea time. Leave the car at the hotel and catch the tube into town for dinner and a wander. Saturday will be kicking and screaming being dragged round Oxford Street.

snapdragon
5th November 2015, 10:41 AM
Also have a look at mister-auto.
My original parts were TRW, so I bought TRW from mister-auto, when they came they were genuine VW/Audi but with the logo ground off.

centurion
5th November 2015, 01:33 PM
thanks guys...

Originally I was planning to bought the stuff of Mister Auto and either go with Lemforder or TRW which I suppose cannot go 'wrong' quality wise.

What do you think of Febi Bilstein as some of their rods/control arms are 10-15% cheaper which would save us some money that can go towards labour cost. e.g. any good?

rgds

Adrian E
5th November 2015, 02:46 PM
Try allgermanparts.co.uk but don't bother trying to use their web site as it looks like it's being rebuilt. They're pretty good by phone/e-mail.

Worth asking for prices on Meyle HD stuff and comparing to the best prices you can get from TPS for OEM parts.

tipptop
5th November 2015, 11:52 PM
Can't you just use this..?

http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?i=cat_vag_models

Is there some reason to download and mess with emulators? Can you put in a VIN then?

Adrian E
6th November 2015, 05:43 AM
You can - that's based on Etka page dumps, but not sure how often it's updated?

I've used Etka offline for years and find it useful - especially as I have the updated price files so always know in advance whether a quoted price is a decent discount or not.

centurion
6th November 2015, 02:55 PM
cheers guys.

I know that TPS only does B2B and was wondering how could I get in touch with them for quotes as i'm a 'C' customer... or is there anything we could do through A8Parts?

Rgds

Adrian E
6th November 2015, 03:51 PM
TPS will deal with anyone generally - if there's one local just pop in with the car and give them the reg and they'll give you prices. My local one is extremely helpful

Duffy
20th November 2015, 12:35 PM
I use Murrays at Hatfield, it's all OEM and way cheaper than Audi or TPS, their service is excellent as well