PDA

View Full Version : Final Edition - Official Citations?

moltuae
25th January 2016, 08:31 AM
Something I was thinking about the other day which got me wondering ...

We all frequently talk about FE D2s and I think we all pretty much agree what signifies an FE and how to spot one, even if we don't all agree whether an FE is more desirable or less desirable than an non-FE S8.

BUT, is there any official Audi documentation (sales literature, etc) that defines or sets apart those latter cars as 'Final Editions'?

Incidentally, when I purchased my own FE almost 5 years ago now, I did so in complete ignorance of FEs. At the time I was simply looking for a good late D2 S8; it was some months later that I learned what an FE was and that I now owned one. Had I known what an FE was at the time though, I think I would've still set out to find one.

IT
25th January 2016, 08:43 AM
Released March 4, but effective February 28, 2002, Audi has announced two special edition versions of the S8 model as part of the run-out activity of the A8 and S8 model ranges.
The two special editions are available in two colours, the Ebony Black version priced GBP 58,815 and the Avus Silver version priced GBP 59,815, both including delivery.

Additional items for new special editions:
- 8.5x20" highly polished 9-Spoke alloy wheels with 255/35 ZR20 tyres
- a boot mounted six-disc CD autochanger
- a BOSE audio-system
- xenon plus bi-xenon headlights
- telephone preparation with hands free function
- TV and Teletext reception
- coloured enhanced Leather pack II (seat upholstery, lower dashboard & centre console sides in Fine Nappa leather from quattro GmbH)
- coloured Controls pack (handbrake & gear lever in Fine Nappa leather)
- coloured leather sports steering wheel with tiptronic transmission controls
- dark Myrtle wood fascia, centre console & door trim

Upholstery options for new special editions:
- Avus Silver - Brilliant Red or Mauve leather upholstery & controls
- Ebony Black - Brilliant Red or Silver Grey leather upholstery & controls

Released April 10, but effective April 5, 2002, Audi has announced the availability of further S8 Special Editions due to the success of initial versions.

Audi has added two new colour-ways to the S8 Special Edition range:
- Misano Red with Silver Grey leather upholstery
- Aqua Blue with Morning Dew leather upholstery

The S8 special Edition in Aqua Blue, is priced GBP 58,815 and the Misano Red edition, priced at GBP 59,815, both including delivery.

Conquistador
25th January 2016, 08:59 AM
Good definitive guide. Thanks +++

We can now direct all those ebay sellers who list their cars as Final Editions to justify a premium of £4,000, to this page :D

moltuae
25th January 2016, 09:08 AM
Excellent! +++

But where is that info copied from?

i.e. Citation Please :D

IT
25th January 2016, 09:24 AM
I'm pretty sure it came from the Audi website at the time of launch, literally copied and pasted. It has survived on various forum posts for years.

I have never seen any evidence to dispute the statements here, although the exact implementation of the extended leather does vary sometime - Some cars are more red than others for example, but the colour combos are definitive in my eyes.

moltuae
25th January 2016, 11:37 AM
I'm pretty sure it came from the Audi website at the time of launch, literally copied and pasted. It has survived on various forum posts for years.

I have never seen any evidence to dispute the statements here

I'm sure there's no reason to dispute it, but I was hoping there may have been some verifiable official evidence somewhere; in a sales brochure perhaps, a leaflet, or even just a screenshot of Audi's website. Without any of that, it's just hearsay.

I'd love to see some proper evidence. I'm a man of science; without proof, it didn't happen.

IT
25th January 2016, 12:21 PM
I'm sure there's no reason to dispute it, but I was hoping there may have been some verifiable official evidence somewhere; in a sales brochure perhaps, a leaflet, or even just a screenshot of Audi's website. Without any of that, it's just hearsay.

I'd love to see some proper evidence. I'm a man of science; without proof, it didn't happen.

Agreed, but it just doesn't exist.

Take the current, Audi A8 Edition 21 for example:

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/limited-edition-audi-a8-marks-21-years-of-progress.html

This is the text from the website, just like the D2 final edition..... That's about as scientific as I can make it +++

I doubt for a run of 121 cars, its worth even making a brochure... ;)

moltuae
25th January 2016, 12:30 PM
Agreed, but it just doesn't exist.

Take the current, Audi A8 Edition 21 for example:

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/limited-edition-audi-a8-marks-21-years-of-progress.html

This is the text from the website, just like the D2 final edition..... That's about as scientific as I can make it +++

I doubt for a run of 121 cars, its worth even making a brochure... ;)

True.

Ah well, shame nobody thought to get a screenshot of the website at the time.

Just had a look on archive.org, which goes back far enough, but the cached pages from 2001/2 don't seem to work :(

The_Laird
25th January 2016, 01:31 PM
I have never seen any evidence to dispute the statements here, although the exact implementation of the extended leather does vary sometime - Some cars are more red than others for example, but the colour combos are definitive in my eyes.

And some don't have the extended leather at all.

IT
25th January 2016, 01:36 PM
And some don't have the extended leather at all.

An FE with no extended leather ?.

Not sure about that....

The leather was both exclusive (not run of the mill colours) and also extended to include the transmission tunnels, lower dash and door cards.

I would seriously question the true 'FE' ness of any car not having this ?

IT
25th January 2016, 01:41 PM
I should add of course, it is possible a genuine FE has its interior transplanted thus removing the extended leather....

I know for sure there was an avus silver FE floating around that had its red interior swapped for a swing grey, and lost its enhanced leather in the process....

tintin
25th January 2016, 02:49 PM
I should add of course, it is possible a genuine FE has its interior transplanted thus removing the extended leather....

I know for sure there was an avus silver FE floating around that had its red interior swapped for a swing grey, and lost its enhanced leather in the process....

...and an Ebony Black FE with extended red leather that the owner was considering swapping to grey, but changed his mind ;)

Adrian E
25th January 2016, 04:09 PM
I seem to recall there's variations based on interior colour as to how much extended dead cow you got - can't remember the details, or if I'm talking ballcocks!

We should create an FE register of members just to see how many are actually around - do we know how many were even sold?

tintin
25th January 2016, 05:08 PM
We should create an FE register of members just to see how many are actually around - do we know how many were even sold?

OK, here y'go...

1. Tintin's FE - Ebony Black with Red Leather Extended ("EL pack 3?" - lower dash, steering wheel and gearstick - i.e. everywhere).

IT
25th January 2016, 05:30 PM
Leather pack 2 only on the FE.

Leather pack 1 is alcantara uppers, Leather pack 2 is extended leather, and leather pack 3 includes both.

No Final Edition ever had alcantara, which is a real shame imo given that the C5 RS6 that was launched at roughly the same time came with alcantara as standard and really finished it off nicely....

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12373&stc=1&d=1453746495

The_Laird
25th January 2016, 06:35 PM

Hmmm, a transplant complete with steering wheel and gear shift into a 'poverty spec' car, but not the lower dash leather (which is probably the easiest bit) - why?

Oh, and I have the rear blind, but not heated rear seats

IT
25th January 2016, 06:48 PM
Hmmm, a transplant complete with steering wheel and gear shift into a 'poverty spec' car, but not the lower dash leather (which is probably the easiest bit) - why?

Sooooo....

Are you saying your D2 hasn't got heated rears or extended leather.... ?

Which makes it either

a) a high spec 2002 model, and not a final edition

b) some spectacular failure in translation when the car was ordered, and the extended leather bit was missed off the FE order. It would be interesting if the supplying dealer can verify was actually ordered / delivered.

Extended leather was a bit fundamental to the FE in my eyes....

Adrian E
25th January 2016, 06:54 PM
OK, here y'go...

1. Tintin's FE - Ebony Black with Red Leather Extended ("EL pack 3?" - lower dash, steering wheel and gearstick - i.e. everywhere).
2. Adrian E - Avus silver with mauve leather everywhere. Slightly softened with more fake wood on door switch trims and less purple!

moltuae
25th January 2016, 08:37 PM

Mines the same; rear blind but no extended leather, no heated rear seats.

In fact, given that mine has the same exterior/interior colours too, I think our cars probably left the factory with an almost identical spec Jim.

tintin
25th January 2016, 09:32 PM
No heated rear here….

The_Laird
26th January 2016, 07:00 AM
So, my thoughts so far are that the FE spec was, indeed, variable, at least with regard to extended leather and heated rear seats. That's 3 cars so far with out of the ordinary spec, surely too many to have all been transplants or errors?

IT
26th January 2016, 09:24 AM
That's 3 cars so far with out of the ordinary spec, surely too many to have all been transplants or errors?

Agreed....

Interesting that heated rears is part of the enhanced leather pack 2, but there's no mention of it on FE spec, so I'm quite happy to forgive that absence.

But I can't get past the lack of extended leather. I just can't believe it would have been much of a special edition without it.

Given the timing, where in 2002 Audi was only just really getting to grips with the idea of exclusive leather, if the launch of the Final Edition made customers (and salesmen) realise the potential, and in fact what you got was a number of 2002 cars that were simply exclusive leathers, but not full Final Editions, and therefore presumably slightly cheaper ?

Or a batch of ex demo / show cars perhaps ?

I'm not looking to put down anyone's claim to owning a 'Final Edition' here, just trying to reach a solid conclusion....

Does anyone have a car with an actual sales invoice that says 'final edition' ?

Adrian E
26th January 2016, 11:06 AM
My FE definitely has all the extended cow, but no heated rears. I suspect what was an extended leather package didn't apply to the FE?

IT
26th January 2016, 11:11 AM
My FE definitely has all the extended cow, but no heated rears. I suspect what was an extended leather package didn't apply to the FE?

Yup, certainly looking that way....

I'm comfy that yours is likely a prime example of a definite 'FE' Adrian - Can you pm me your reg and when I get a mo I'll do a bit of digging.... +++

Conquistador
27th January 2016, 08:44 AM
LHD spares/repairs Final Edition.... apparently. The seller reckons for £97, it could be put good again, why not just do that then?? :Confused:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-S8-D2-2002-LHD-left-hand-drive-spare-repair-/111885859655?hash=item1a0ceabb47:g:VowAAOSwqYBWpnW r

The_Laird
27th January 2016, 09:41 AM
LHD spares/repairs Final Edition.... apparently. The seller reckons for £97, it could be put good again, why not just do that then?? :Confused:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-S8-D2-2002-LHD-left-hand-drive-spare-repair-/111885859655?hash=item1a0ceabb47:g:VowAAOSwqYBWpnW r

Definitely not an FE!

briang9
27th January 2016, 12:14 PM
and an ABS Sensor is nearer £100 IIRC:tuttut:

Architex_mA8tey
27th January 2016, 04:09 PM
I chatted to the owner briefly a couple of days ago, he would let it go for £3600 but i told him that it was still a high figure for a car with that mileage. he said that the gearbox had been replaced at 150K miles. Its got alcantara headlining and the dark maple wood which is nice but its certainly not a final edition, just a late car.

Got a feeling he wont get what he's looking for and will break it which would not necessarily bring him the same money.

IT
27th January 2016, 04:32 PM
I chatted to the owner briefly a couple of days ago, he would let it go for £3600 but i told him that it was still a high figure for a car with that mileage. he said that the gearbox had been replaced at 150K miles. Its got alcantara headlining and the dark maple wood which is nice but its certainly not a final edition, just a late car.

Got a feeling he wont get what he's looking for and will break it which would not necessarily bring him the same money.

Full enhanced leather pack 3 actually. It has the bits of cow trim Andrew is missing to turn the low mileage Silver S8 into his ultimate moo wagon. Albeit the wrong colour.

Still, good luck selling an alcantara headlining with no sunroof as all UK cars came with one +++

LHD, high miles, and ABS + engine faults. 3K at best imo.

Architex_mA8tey
27th January 2016, 07:50 PM
Full enhanced leather pack 3 actually. It has the bits of cow trim Andrew is missing to turn the low mileage Silver S8 into his ultimate moo wagon. Albeit the wrong colour.

Still, good luck selling an alcantara headlining with no sunroof as all UK cars came with one +++

LHD, high miles, and ABS + engine faults. 3K at best imo.

I know, you cant even use the "perfect condition wood trim" for a RHD car it will mostly be wrong. I did actually say to him £2500 to £3000 max and I feel that would only be with the outstanding issues solved and proof of the gearbox and belts sorted for a while

The_Laird
28th January 2016, 12:39 PM
So, my thoughts so far are that the FE spec was, indeed, variable, at least with regard to extended leather and heated rear seats. That's 3 cars so far with out of the ordinary spec, surely too many to have all been transplants or errors?

And possibly another FE with no extended leather or heated rear seats.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8886

Goran
28th January 2016, 01:02 PM
I'd buy all his trims, it would fit my non-sunroofed LHD car perfectly.
Also save me ordering huge bits such as black dashboard from Germany.

IT
28th January 2016, 07:03 PM
And possibly another FE with no extended leather or heated rear seats.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8886

Yup, even I'm on the verge of conceding that with that colour combo that must surely be a FE, yet no extended leather...

hmmm..

Can + worms + lid won't shut :rolleyes:

The_Laird
28th January 2016, 08:39 PM
This last one is odd as the lower dash doesn't even match the seat colour, which it does in mine and Mark's.

Adrian E
28th January 2016, 09:10 PM
Yup, even I'm on the verge of conceding that with that colour combo that must surely be a FE, yet no extended leather...

hmmm..

Can + worms + lid won't shut :rolleyes:

Neil's old car had done a lot of miles so bits may have been changed - it's definitely the aqua green interior FE that I've seen a couple of other times on different cars but must admit to not paying that close attention to the differences in trims

IT
19th February 2016, 07:24 AM
So, I was coming round to the theory that red and purple FE interiors have extended leather, and the rest do not.

and then, in my photo archives I found this on an Avus Silver (FE??)

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12462&stc=1&d=1455870004

Not seen a Red FE interior with platinum in the door handles / lower glovebox since. Note also grey gearshift + handbrake.

Wonder if the extended leather was an option (or maybe a cost saving deduction) from the spec?

I do love extended leather, but confess I do prefer this interior which is not quite as full on as the extended leather red ones...

HPsauce
19th February 2016, 08:29 AM
Could that have been some sort of transplant? The coloured parts of the door panels look non-standard too, but what do I know........

moltuae
19th February 2016, 08:32 AM
So, I was coming round to the theory that red and purple FE interiors have extended leather, and the rest do not.

I was beginning to think that the manufacture date may have had something to do with it.

Jim's and mine, which seem to have left the factory with identical specs, are both 05/02 - No extended leather.

So, Adrian .... yours is 04/02, right, with extended leather? Hmmm :Confused:

IT
19th February 2016, 08:52 AM
Could that have been some sort of transplant? The coloured parts of the door panels look non-standard too, but what do I know........

No, pretty sure it was pukka. It was originally used by a director at an Audi dealership that spotted it on our website one day when they were looking to offload some parts overstock. Had a chat about it. Its all genuine unmodified to the best of my belief. This photo is from Feb 2008, so the car wasn't that old at that point.....

IT
19th February 2016, 08:56 AM
I was beginning to think that the manufacture date may have had something to do with it.

If everybody on this thread wants to PM me their 'FE' reg, I'll do a full look up on them all and compare the build dates and specs to see if anything leaps out.

I need as many as possible to stand a chance of a pattern emerging.

Please state in the PM your reg, whether you have extended leather and the paint / leather colour combo.

Ta +++

Adrian E
19th February 2016, 02:40 PM
If everybody on this thread wants to PM me their 'FE' reg, I'll do a full look up on them all and compare the build dates and specs to see if anything leaps out.

I need as many as possible to stand a chance of a pattern emerging.

Please state in the PM your reg, whether you have extended leather and the paint / leather colour combo.

Ta +++

Ian

Did I send you enough info with my reg?

A

The_Laird
19th February 2016, 03:42 PM
Sent mine too. Did you get it OK? Always difficult sending a PM to someone with only 2 characters as the forum doesn't seem to recognise you.

Lee S
19th February 2016, 03:59 PM
If you click on the red "IT" next to the avatar/picture in the top left corner of any of Ian's posts, then a little sub menu drops down and you just select "Send a private message to IT". Simples... +++

IT
19th February 2016, 04:43 PM
Yup, all good guys. Maria and I have dug up some old regs and other stuff as well and I've just printed about 8 out to compare.... +++

tintin
19th February 2016, 04:48 PM
Now THAT'S a geeky Friday evening activity +++ Looking forward to seeing your conclusions ;)

IT
19th February 2016, 05:23 PM
Well,

My (rather quickly derived) theory is that one of the most decisive build code in the equation is:

S3G - Vehicles with Special conversion/installation

So far, I have 6 'FE's (imo) that all sport this build code, backed up by the Audi parts system confirming they are a GMBH special build.

I have 3 2002 S8's with good, but non FE (imo) specs that do not have this.

To further entertain all, all 6 of the 'FE's have extended leather - But - To different degrees.

1 of Build code:

YYA (extended leather pack 1, Fine nappa)
OR
YYB (extended leather pack 1, Valcona leather)
OR
YYD (extended leather pack 2, fine nappa)

are present on _all_ 6 of the FE's, but not on my 3 control subjects...

I've not got Adrians car included in here as annoyingly I'm not sure exactly where I left the print out of his spec... dur :D

I'm now going to sit back, and amuse myself with the thoughts of S8 owners scurrying around reading build codes and reporting back on what their car says..... +++

Adrian E
19th February 2016, 06:15 PM
I've not got Adrians car included in here as annoyingly I'm not sure exactly where I left the print out of his spec... dur :D

D'oh! And that's definitely 100% an FE lol

My service book includes S3G code

The data print out I have (unknown source) says mine was built 22/4/2002 and delivered 27/9/2002. V5c says registered 28/11/2002.

I have YYD (extended leather pack 2) on the printout, although it isn't listed in the service book codes.

The wood trim code is given as YXH → wooden trim inserts: dark myrtle, light bird's eye maple, polished Vavona, amber which is weird as that appears to be any of 3!

HPsauce
19th February 2016, 06:35 PM
My (definitely NON FE) build date is 04/02 on the sticker, delivered 160903! :eek2:

None of the above codes on the sticker. :Confused:

Edit: Date of production 10.04.2002
VA6 Two cushions/pillows (missing!)
FQ0 Standard production wheels (so not an FE)

IT
19th February 2016, 08:00 PM
It's worth noting all the final editions I've seen so far we're built April, May or June 2002, however I also have a d2 s8 built July 2002 that isn't an fe...

So, er, the final edition wasn't the last thing built by the looks of it...

Architex_mA8tey
19th February 2016, 08:04 PM
It's worth noting all the final editions I've seen so far we're built April, May or June 2002, however I also have a d2 s8 built July 2002 that isn't an fe...

So, er, the final edition wasn't the last thing built by the looks of it...

VFE? (Very Final Edition) :rolleyes:

The_Laird
25th February 2016, 09:33 AM
I have YYD (extended leather pack 2) on the printout, although it isn't listed in the service book codes.

The wood trim code is given as YXH → wooden trim inserts: dark myrtle, light bird's eye maple, polished Vavona, amber which is weird as that appears to be any of 3!

My build sticker also lists the wrong wood code and the wrong leather code (platinum instead of silver grey). Waiting to see what Mark's says as our cars appear to be identical spec and produced in the same month.

IT
25th February 2016, 10:34 AM
My build sticker also lists the wrong wood code and the wrong leather code (platinum instead of silver grey). Waiting to see what Mark's says as our cars appear to be identical spec and produced in the same month.

Interior trim code for all FE's seems to come up as WF - The platinum refers (I believe) to the colour combination of the lower trims, dashboard and carpet as per the brochure. The leather colour isn't specified specifically to the best of my knowledge, but a standard leather colour would apply to a specific interior code - unless it was exclusive / gmbh modified.

In my eyes, the FE spec is still very much the same as the one that has been published a number of times.

Ebony Black with red or mauve
Avus silver with red or mauve
Aqua Blue with Morning Dew
Misano Red with Silver Grey

With Cd Changer, Bose, Xenon plus, 20" wheels, Phone Prep, TV, Coloured controls pack, coloured steering wheel and dark myrtle wood.

I think some of the confusion in the past has arisen over the extended leather pack 2, which whilst present to some degree in all FE's, isn't the same as the one in the brochure, and has universally been proven not to include the heated rear seats, but does have rear blinds.

I suspect 2002 saw Audi experimenting with the exclusive packages for the first time, yet they hadn't got as far as putting the nice 'exclusive' badge on the door card, so its not been readily obvious what is an exclusive D2, and what is a final edition....

I know the FE is special, but I'd personally rather have a higher spec, exclusive D2 any day....

I'm quite happy to post up the PDF's with the full build spec of these cars, with the permission of the relevant owners, and then you can all have a peruse.... ?

The_Laird
25th February 2016, 10:37 AM
In my eyes, the FE spec is still very much the same as the one that has been published a number of times.

Ebony Black with red or mauve
Avus silver with red or mauve
Aqua Blue with Morning Dew
Misano Red with Silver Grey

Nope - Ebony black with red or silver grey! :tuttut:

The_Laird
25th February 2016, 10:39 AM
My build spec can be posted if it's of interest

IT
25th February 2016, 10:44 AM
Nope - Ebony black with red or silver grey! :tuttut:

whoops ;)

just checking you were awake.

Interesting though, I've definitely seen a Black D2 with Mauve interior. Looked quite nice to be honest....

I wonder if the final edition was created as Audis first attempt to publicise the availability of the exclusive trims. It would make a lot of sense...

IT
25th February 2016, 10:47 AM
My build spec can be posted if it's of interest

Attached....

Adrian E
25th February 2016, 10:55 AM
Happy for mine to be posted too Ian

I suspect a lot of confusion is also resulting from original owners maybe wanting to tone down the leather packs on steering wheel and gear selector, so asked the dealers to swap them.

Plus there's all of us that are happy to get stuck in personalising and updating the cars as we go along.

Mine's definitely 'OEM+' with the factory RNS-E/bluetooth/hybrid TV and also personalised with the change from the mauve painted door trims to the dark myrtle wood effect.

I seem to recall a post on FEs on tyresmoke that gave more detail on the respective extended leather packs which seemed to relate to the interior/exterior colour combo?

moltuae
25th February 2016, 11:05 AM
You can post mine too please Ian :)

tintin
25th February 2016, 11:28 AM
Feel free to post mine too - I think it may also have this same spec component as Jim's - "8Z5 Not hot country" ;)

The_Laird
25th February 2016, 11:54 AM
Ian, thanks for mine - that's loads more information than the build sticker and I'm delighted to see 'S3G' and YYA, but note that the latter is 'exclusive' and not 'extended' leather.

Appreciate your efforts and skills with this! +++

IT
25th February 2016, 01:25 PM
You can post mine too please Ian :)

+++

IT
25th February 2016, 01:26 PM
Feel free to post mine too - I think it may also have this same spec component as Jim's - "8Z5 Not hot country" ;)

+++

IT
25th February 2016, 01:32 PM

I'm just awaiting yours to come back to me electronically as I only have it printed out at the mo, so in the meantime I've attached 2 others,

Both Avus silver FE's with red leather that have passed through a8parts.

The_Laird
25th February 2016, 01:36 PM
Mark and I are developing a theory! :)

As a marketing guy, I know that press releases are often simplified, condensed and 'pumped up' for the media, so the Audi 'special edition' press releases might not be fully accurate.

Instead of saying words to the effect of .."some of the special editions have this, some have that, some have something else..." and so on until the press are too bored to publish it, they may have just said that the special editions had a single, all encompassing spec (which was, of course, the most extensive).

So, I'm prepared to accept the colour combinations in the press release were right and that the 'extras' list was largely correct, but the extent of the unique leather clearly varied with time and/or colour combinations - so here the press releases were inaccurate.

IT
25th February 2016, 01:41 PM
Mark and I are developing a theory! :)

As a marketing guy, I know that press releases are often simplified, condensed and 'pumped up' for the media, so the Audi 'special edition' press releases might not be fully accurate.

Instead of saying words to the effect of .."some of the special editions have this, some have that, some have something else..." and so on until the press are too bored to publish it, they may have just said that the special editions had a single, all encompassing spec (which was, of course, the most extensive).

So, I'm prepared to accept the colour combinations in the press release were right and that the 'extras' list was largely correct, but the extent of the unique leather clearly varied with time and/or colour combinations - so here the press releases were inaccurate.

I considered this, however the inexplicable price differences suggested in the release, don't reflect your theory me thinks....

Ebony Black and Aqua Blue @ £58815
Avus Silver and Misano Red @ £59815

A grand difference.... Unless the grand difference was supposed to be the extended leather, and its really quite a spectacular muddle up....

It would make more sense if it were the Silver and Morning dew cars @ £58815 with no extended leather, and then Red and Mauve @ £59815 with extended leather ?

Now that's a good theory.... I'm liking that.

IT
25th February 2016, 01:44 PM
furthermore,

If you read the release in that context, it would be very easy for the top spec and price to be correct (with full extended leather on the red and mauve interiors)

and then a simple omission of bothering to mention the refreshed spec for silver and morning dew underneath missing out the extended leather....

The_Laird
25th February 2016, 01:57 PM
Yep, that's sounding plausible. Extended leather cost more, the press release was either inaccurate or edited, and 'special' or 'final' editions varied with regards to the leather.

IT
25th February 2016, 02:22 PM
So, the current position: (?)

Released March 4, but effective February 28, 2002, Audi has announced two special edition versions of the S8 model as part of the run-out activity of the A8 and S8 model ranges.
The two special editions are available in four colours, the

Ebony Black version with Red leather priced GBP 59,815
Avus Silver version with Red leather priced GBP 59,815
Avus Silver version with Mauve leather priced GBP 59,815
Ebony Black version with Silver leather priced GBP 58,815

Additional items for new special editions:
- 8.5x20" highly polished 9-Spoke alloy wheels with 255/35 ZR20 tyres
- a boot mounted six-disc CD autochanger
- a BOSE audio-system
- xenon plus bi-xenon headlights
- telephone preparation with hands free function
- TV and Teletext reception
- coloured enhanced Leather pack II (seat upholstery, lower dashboard & centre console sides in Fine Nappa leather from quattro GmbH) on red and mauve leather only
- coloured Controls pack (handbrake & gear lever in Fine Nappa leather)
- coloured leather sports steering wheel with tiptronic transmission controls
- dark Myrtle wood fascia, centre console & door trim

Upholstery options for new special editions:
- Avus Silver - Brilliant Red or Mauve leather upholstery & controls
- Ebony Black - Brilliant Red or Silver Grey leather upholstery & controls

Released April 10, but effective April 5, 2002, Audi has announced the availability of further S8 Special Editions due to the success of initial versions.

Audi has added two new colour-ways to the S8 Special Edition range:

- Misano Red with Silver Grey leather upholstery
- Aqua Blue with Morning Dew leather upholstery

Both priced at GBP 58,815

Spec as above, with the noted exception of Leather pack II

IT
25th February 2016, 02:23 PM

+++

IT
25th February 2016, 02:25 PM
And for comparison, here is a high spec, but non FE from Hpsauce +++

HPsauce
25th February 2016, 02:28 PM
Thanks, Ian. Interesting that my build date is the day before your "Avus 1" FE above.

Oddly, despite the various nice add-ons it doesn't have Bose and how does the PL1 (extended range of leather upholstery with additional Alcantara features) differ from the other extended leather packs? (It's not on the build sticker :Confused: )

moltuae
25th February 2016, 03:05 PM
Thanks Ian +++

How reliable is that build date info? Mine states June but the build sticker says May :Confused:

IT
25th February 2016, 03:14 PM
How reliable is that build date info? Mine states June but the build sticker says May :Confused:

Well, until you said that, I'd assumed it was accurate ?..

Anyone else seeing differences ?

HPsauce
25th February 2016, 03:25 PM
My build sticker says April, so that's consistent. +++

The_Laird
25th February 2016, 06:08 PM
Same as Mark's. Build sticker says March, this complete list says June.

And the wood colour is wrong on both.

HPsauce
25th February 2016, 06:20 PM
I wonder if they built some cars then sent them back in for a "retrim" to FE spec?

Adrian E
25th February 2016, 06:40 PM
Mine's bang on for dates - note there's 3 of interest:

Build (I assume at factory)
Delivery (to UK?)
Registration

mikes2
1st March 2016, 07:07 PM
Not been on here for a while.

Interesting reading as the Avus silver S8 I had came with grey leather and i was led to believe it was a final edition.

IT, can I send you the details to check this ?

IT
1st March 2016, 09:02 PM
Not been on here for a while.

Interesting reading as the Avus silver S8 I had came with grey leather and i was led to believe it was a final edition.

IT, can I send you the details to check this ?

You can......

.... or just out of curiosity, was it MA52 BYO per chance ?....

tintin
1st March 2016, 09:35 PM
You can......

Now that's got me thinking...I bet you could do a great "A8 forum family tree" for quite a few plates/chassis numbers from members on here.

You know, a bit like the old "Rock Family Trees" like this one.

That'd be fun to see..:D

IT
1st March 2016, 09:48 PM
Now that's got me thinking...I bet you could do a great "A8 forum family tree" for quite a few plates/chassis numbers from members on here.

You know, a bit like the old "Rock Family Trees" like this one.

That'd be fun to see..:D

So, I basically put me in the middle and draw a line out to most peoples cars? Its more of a bush than a tree :ROFL:

mikes2
1st March 2016, 10:08 PM
You can......

Yes - that was the car

IT
1st March 2016, 10:14 PM
Yes - that was the car

Post 36 of this thread,

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost.php?p=106767&postcount=36 is the same car.

We removed the red interior for a customer that bought it, and wanted a more conservative look.....

It was replaced with a swing grey interior, which I trust was still all working well when you had it....

It was indeed a final edition, probably the only one that had had its entire interior swapped.....

Forgive me. Seemed like a good idea at the time... :rolleyes:

mikes2
1st March 2016, 10:22 PM
Thanks for confirming.

I probably wouldn't have bought it with the red interior. Everything was fine with the interior while I had it.

The car went to Ireland

The_Laird
3rd March 2016, 06:21 AM
Well, I dropped an enquiry to Audi media Center a few weekes ago and this is their reply:

"Dear Mr. Greaves,

Thank you for your e-mail to AUDI AG.

We regret that we could not get back to you on an earlier occasion.

After discussing your request for more information regarding the "Final Edition" of the D2 S8 released in 2002 with our colleagues at Audi Tradition, who searched the company archives, we can inform you that this special car was only offered in the UK.

As the distinction to the "normal" S8 is to be found in the vehicle equipment, which was mainly part of the quattro GmbH product line, the S8 "Final Edition" is not considered as an own model but a campaign offer. Unfortunately our archive does not contain
any information on this sort of offer, especially as the S8 "Final Edition" was an offer from our general importer Audi UK.

We regret that we cannot meet your expectations in case. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us
again.

Yours sincerely,

i. V. Christian Zipfel i. A. Andreas Ek

AUDI AG
International Customer Services
85045 Ingolstadt
Fax +49 (0) 800 329 26 2834
+49 841 89 38889
mailto:service@audi.de
http://www.audi.com"

I think we know more than they do! Perhaps Audi UK would be more helpful? Dies anyone have a contact there?

steamship
3rd March 2016, 10:34 AM
I think we know more than they do! Perhaps Audi UK would be more helpful? Dies anyone have a contact there?

Afraid not Jim. I've been following the thread (even though I don't have a S8, never mind a FE), and noticed no one mentioned contacting Audi UK, so I emailed them several weeks back. The response I got was a lot more abrupt, along the lines of their archive didn't have any information on the FE. I had thought of contacting Audi DE, but never got around to it. The response I got from Audi UK below:

--------------------------------------

Subject: AU-2016/01-052456

Dear Mr Wilson

Thank you for your recent email regarding official documentation for a Final Edition A8/S8 model from March/April 2002.

Having liaised with our Product Marketing Department, they have advised that we do not hold any documentation within Audi UK
that meets the requirements you have specified.

I am sorry I am unable to provide a more positive response on this occasion.Thank you for taking the time to contact us,
allowing me the opportunity to reply.

Kind regards

Hannah Bourke
Customer Relations Advisor

--------------------------------------

moltuae
3rd March 2016, 11:36 AM
Disappointing responses, but interesting that the FE was a UK-only thing. I didn't realise that.

Perhaps the last chance would be any UK Audi dealer who might still have some old marketing material and would also be willing to sift through it to find any relevant information. As an incentive, I suppose we could offer to pay them for any official FE related material they may find.

MikkiJayne
3rd March 2016, 02:47 PM
I'll ask Exeter Audi to see if they have anything.

Not surprised the FE is a UK thing - same with the Corrado and Scirocco Storms.

tintin
3rd March 2016, 03:04 PM
Interesting...a number of non-UK based car manufacturers carry out "localisation" in country, but as far as I know this doesn't normally extend to such major components as full interiors, including seating.

My gut feel is that this was simply leftover interiors that they were just matching with leftover body shells before switching to full D3 production - which could explain the lack of consistency - but that's not a very flattering explanation for these "special ones" - one of which I've got :o

IT
3rd March 2016, 04:48 PM
It all makes perfect sense to me.

The Sales model / brochure is a completely separate entity to the car that can/is actually built. Just like all UK D2's have a sunroof. That was the brainchild of the brochure people that designed the spec for the UK D2. they also decided that the 2.8 & 3.7 prefacelift would be front wheel drive, where other countries enjoyed the lower performance and economy of Quattro from the outset +++

The Final edition is just a bundle of build codes and colours that have been marketed as a 'Final Edition' in this country.

Get yourself on a factory tour. Every seat, dash, piece of trim is made to order and installed just as required. There is no surplus trim to be getting rid of. If you order exclusive leather, it'll be dyed and stitched 'just in time' (as they call it) to be installed.

I still think the vivid FE trims were Audis attempt to advertise not very subtly that exclusive was now here and you could have something more exciting than black, grey or cream.

I see no difference between this and the Edition 21 which is currently a special edition available of the A8.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were no such thing as a Final Edition brochure. It is after all a collection of readily available build codes, with no distinguishing feature or even a plague. Press release material may be the best to hope for.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it, back trace where and how the current edition 21 came about, and ask the very same people about the D2 FE +++

Conquistador
3rd March 2016, 05:56 PM
I see no difference between this and the Edition 21 which is currently a special edition available of the A8.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it, back trace where and how the current edition 21 came about, and ask the very same people about the D2 FE +++

Contact details on the Edition 21 press release as follows for anybody interested:

For further information please contact:
Robin Davies Telephone: 01908 601407
Product Affairs Manager e-mail: robin.davies@audi.co.uk

Alex Fisk Telephone: 01908 601980
Digital Press Officer e-mail: alex.fisk@audi.co.uk

Jo Davis Telephone: 01908 601629
Media Relations Manager e-mail: joanne.davis@audi.co.uk

Camilla Scanes Telephone: 01908 601688
Press Events Executive e-mail: camilla.scanes@audi.co.uk

Jon Zammett Telephone: 01908 601455
Head of Public Relations e-mail: jon.zammett@audi.co.uk

barzya8
29th July 2016, 01:32 PM
Hi Ian,
Not sure if you got my PM asking if you could check my newly acquired 2002 FE build code, they way you checked other guys.
Mine is a Avus Silver with Red Leather.
I do not have extended leather, like Adrian, but do have the colour coded steering and gear knob.
Neither do I have heated rear seats.
My registration is MK52FFE.
I believe the build date was June 2002, but not registered until September 2002
This would be interesting to see what comes up for mine, as my build sticker does not contain some of the codes you mentioned in previous post.
Hoping you can do this for me.
Regards,
David :Confused:

Ameiseuk
29th July 2016, 04:31 PM
Leather pack 2 only on the FE.

Leather pack 1 is alcantara uppers, Leather pack 2 is extended leather, and leather pack 3 includes both.

No Final Edition ever had alcantara, which is a real shame imo given that the C5 RS6 that was launched at roughly the same time came with alcantara as standard and really finished it off nicely....

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12373&stc=1&d=1453746495

I'm printing this out to see what 'extended leather' pack I've got! :Confused:

barzya8
29th July 2016, 08:10 PM
Thanks for this. I did see this on an earlier post from IT
Ian (IT) did a separate print out for some guys direct from Audi I believe, from their data base, which shows the entire build codes, date of production and registration date by using the registration number. The full print out is what I am after, if its still available to download electronically.
Thanks
David +++

barzya8
29th July 2016, 08:14 PM
Hi Ian,
Not sure if you got my PM asking if you could check my newly acquired 2002 FE build code, they way you checked other guys.
Mine is a Avus Silver with Red Leather.
I do not have extended leather, like Adrian, but do have the colour coded steering and gear knob.
Neither do I have heated rear seats.
My registration is MK52FFL.
I believe the build date was June 2002, but not registered until September 2002
This would be interesting to see what comes up for mine, as my build sticker does not contain some of the codes you mentioned in previous post.
Hoping you can do this for me.
Regards,
David :Confused:

Sorry IAN, I published the wrong registration number it is MK52 FFE

IT
19th August 2016, 10:57 AM
Sorry, been away on hols. Will sort it for you asap +++

IT
19th August 2016, 11:49 AM
Sorry IAN, I published the wrong registration number it is MK52 FFE

That plate doesn't seem to exist, are you on a private plate ??

Adrian E
19th August 2016, 12:00 PM
If it didn't come off a private plate with the previous owner, it's certainly being moved on to one. Might be mid-process? Am sure David will be along with a selection of alternative plates +++

tintin
19th August 2016, 12:11 PM
If it didn't come off a private plate with the previous owner, it's certainly being moved on to one. Might be mid-process? Am sure David will be along with a selection of alternative plates +++

"Sorry IAN, I published the wrong registration number it is MK52 FFE" - is there an MK52 FFS plate ;)

mattylondon
19th August 2016, 12:13 PM
"Sorry IAN, I published the wrong registration number it is MK52 FFE" - is there an MK52 FFS plate ;)

:ROFL: There is

MK52 FFS is a Black 2002 Audi A4 Tdi Se with a numberplate first registered in Manchester between September 2002 and February 2003. This Saloon was first used on the road on Friday 13th September 2002.

barzya8
21st August 2016, 08:10 AM
Hi Ian,
The original plate was MK52FFE.
I have in the last week changed it to my private plate, which is now E8 DRB.
It was on the old plate when I first sent you the request.
Sorry for the confussion.
David