PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Replacement - Correct Load Rating

Joe2.0E
26th January 2016, 08:24 PM
I need to replace the tyres on my 2011 D4 3.0TDI. When I bought the car last year, the tyres on it had a load rating of 104, the size is 255/45 19. Can anyone confirm if 104 is correct or what this model left the factory with.
A lot of 255/45 19 Tyres for sale have a load rating of 100.
In terms of tyre brand, Im thinking Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric XL or Pirelli Pzero XL ?

Architex_mA8tey
26th January 2016, 09:38 PM
Enter your car registration at this website -
http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating

It will then tell you the choice of sizes that were available on your car and when you select the right size it should give you what you need +++

Dezzy
27th January 2016, 06:48 AM
You could go down as far as 92 i would think depending on how loaded your 8 is. I can't remember the max weight of an 8 now 2500 kg's something like that.

load 100 = 800 kg's per tyre, 104 = 900 kg's

paulrstaylor
27th January 2016, 07:48 AM
104 seems to be the standard load index on a D4 +++I've been looking at a few again recently :mad:

Lee S
27th January 2016, 11:09 AM
Yep. I use 104 on my D3 4.2TDI. That's what it left the factory with I believe.

Pug
27th January 2016, 11:56 AM
PM me the registration and I will check with our tyre supplier. They give the original spec the vehicle would have had from new. Or I can check on VAG's VMS at work.

Joe2.0E
27th January 2016, 02:03 PM
WN11ZYL Thanks.
Joe

Architex_mA8tey
27th January 2016, 04:17 PM
its 104 using your registration and the link I posted at the top
either
255/45R19 Y 104
(or 265/40R20 Y 104 for 20" wheels) +++

Joe2.0E
27th January 2016, 06:11 PM
104 is pretty over specced as that would cover a car with a gross weight of 3600kg !!
All said though, I think its best to go with 104 in case of any issue with insurance etc. The price difference appears to be negligible anyway.
Thanks for all the input.

Glync
27th January 2016, 06:35 PM
Just had two new goodyear f1's fitted to mine which were what was fitted from the factory 265/40 R20 Y (104) whilst the car was in for a service.

I get great mileage from these these are only the second pair I have had fitted at 34k miles. They handle well and are rated the quieter of the premium brands.
+++

Joe2.0E
27th January 2016, 09:18 PM
Decision made then I think on the Goodyears, they are slightly cheaper than the Pirellis anyway. Thanks again for the input.

Lee S
27th January 2016, 09:33 PM
I use the Pirelli P Zero with Noise Cancelling System for Audi (R01). Best tyre I've used to date. Beats the Contis, Dunlops, Bridgestones etc. Not tried the Goodyears but I believe some have had premature wear issues with them. I normally get about 18k-20k a set out of my Contis, but the last lot (Dunlop SP SportMaxx) were dire... Only got about 13k before they'd gone oval or flat-spotted and made the car sound like all the wheel-bearings had gone. We will see how the P Zeros go. They just eat up wet roads like no other tyre I've tried. They go through standing water like it's not even there. I guess as they are OE for the Audi RS6 and Bentleys and R type Jags they must be quite good. The NCS (Noise Cancelling System) is basically foam rubber glued to the inside of the tyre, but they are very quiet in the cabin. Probably the quietest I've had so far too. YMMV.

Goodshot
30th September 2016, 12:17 PM
I use the Pirelli P Zero with Noise Cancelling System for Audi (R01). Best tyre I've used to date. Beats the Contis, Dunlops, Bridgestones etc. Not tried the Goodyears but I believe some have had premature wear issues with them. I normally get about 18k-20k a set out of my Contis, but the last lot (Dunlop SP SportMaxx) were dire... Only got about 13k before they'd gone oval or flat-spotted and made the car sound like all the wheel-bearings had gone. We will see how the P Zeros go. They just eat up wet roads like no other tyre I've tried. They go through standing water like it's not even there. I guess as they are OE for the Audi RS6 and Bentleys and R type Jags they must be quite good. The NCS (Noise Cancelling System) is basically foam rubber glued to the inside of the tyre, but they are very quiet in the cabin. Probably the quietest I've had so far too. YMMV.

I have P Zeros as well. How do I tell if I have Noise Cancelling ?

Joe2.0E
30th September 2016, 03:36 PM
I suspect the only way to be sure is have one taken off and a have a look for the "foam". I would'nt be too concerned as the Cabin in the D4 is very quiet and tyre noise is unlikely to be an issue no matter what the brand. P Zero's are great to last, I had several sets on my old D3 over the years and was always happy with them.

Lee S
1st October 2016, 12:59 PM
I have P Zeros as well. How do I tell if I have Noise Cancelling ?

There is an "NCS" badge on the side of them somewhere.

Here are some photos of NCS tyre I have spare.

One shows "R01" decal which is Audi OE
One shows the "foam" inside
One shows "PNCS" Pirelli Noise Cancelling System decal.

Hope that helps.

tintin
1st October 2016, 01:45 PM
The NCS (Noise Cancelling System) is basically foam rubber glued to the inside of the tyre, but they are very quiet in the cabin. Probably the quietest I've had so far too. YMMV.

Bear in mind that this noise cancelling design makes them harder to repair in the event of punctures. I've had both KwikFit - who normally are very flexible with me - and NTS both telling me that foam-lined tyres (in my case ContiSilents) are difficult/uneconomic to repair. So if you get a nail in the tread body, you may be told you need a new tyre, rather than a £10 repair.

Lee S
1st October 2016, 01:52 PM
This is true, but that's why I have that spare tyre in the garage. I had a nail go through one of my rears but it was about half an inch from the sidewall so it couldn't be repaired anyway so I bought a new pair. I will keep this one for a spare. +++