PDA

View Full Version : Child seat recommendations

pete-p
25th February 2016, 01:18 PM
My little boy is now weighing in at around 9kg so I'm looking for a new car seat for him that will suit/fit the S8. I've noticed that a few of you have children so thought I'd ask for opinions/recommendations.

We'll be popping down to Mothercare at the weekend to try some out but as there are so many to choose between. it's good to have somewhere to start!

Cornershop
25th February 2016, 02:03 PM
Do you have Isofix?

Cornershop
25th February 2016, 02:10 PM
Rear facing too? We've got a maxi cosi priory fix for the CMax which fits fine in the S8. I've a got a forward facing maxi cosi priory that a friend was chucking out which is always fitted - over a Diono seat cover

http://www.kiddicare.com/p/Diono_Ultra_Mat_Seat_Protector.htm?product_id=5609 03&&affiliate=KC-google-shopping&gclid=COSarIGZk8sCFQccGwodEA4KfA

pete-p
25th February 2016, 02:16 PM
Do you have Isofix?

Yes, I have Isofix in mine. I tried using it with the current seat but it doesn't fit as it's too bulky.

Rear facing too? ... over a Diono seat cover

http://www.kiddicare.com/p/Diono_Ultra_Mat_Seat_Protector.htm?product_id=5609 03&&affiliate=KC-google-shopping&gclid=COSarIGZk8sCFQccGwodEA4KfA

Rear facing would be safer although does restrict the range available it seems. Thanks for the link, I'll certainly be protecting the leather! +++

Lee S
25th February 2016, 04:04 PM
I use a Hauck seat protector to protect the leather (which it does very well) and then use a Maxi Cosi 2-Way Fix iso-fix base. We did have the Pebble when she was born but now we use the 2-Way Pearl. That can be rear or front facing. Good quality and very comfy. Recommended. +++

Cornershop
25th February 2016, 05:31 PM
I use a Hauck seat protector to protect the leather (which it does very well) and then use a Maxi Cosi 2-Way Fix iso-fix base. We did have the Pebble when she was born but now we use the 2-Way Pearl. That can be rear or front facing. Good quality and very comfy. Recommended. +++

2 way pearl is actually what we have, not the priory. I found getting the arms to engage the Isofix hoops a bit of a challenge, much easier with the prior fix.

pete-p
25th February 2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks for your recommendations +++ It looks like Maxi-Cosi is the way to go so we'll probably get the Priori although it's not Isofix, we aren't likely to be taking it in and out of the car often.

Adrian E
25th February 2016, 08:47 PM
We had a Priorifix in the S8 - big benefit is the support leg into the footwell to stop rotation

If you're considering a rear facing then BeSafe make really good seats. We have one of their high back boosters at the moment and move it between s8 and s5 as needed

Isofix takes getting used to for install but is much easier overall and won't damage the seat base. I line the arms up with the seams in the seat base and wriggle one side in at a time - you can get your fingers in down the side to find the pins to make sure you're lined up

+1 on a seat protector as well - essential!

Eta - can't see the support leg!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/BX16VALVE/Audi%20S8/P1020539.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/BX16VALVE/media/Audi%20S8/P1020539.jpg.html)

Lee S
25th February 2016, 08:55 PM
Hmmmm... I never have difficulties with the iso-fix either. I extend them first and then lift the base to about 30 degrees and wiggle it through the gap and it clicks in. Then I let it sit flat on the seat and wiggle side to side to tighten and finally extend front leg. Never had any issues fitting or removing. It's easy.

Adrian E
25th February 2016, 09:31 PM
d2 and d3 are very different to do?

Cornershop
25th February 2016, 10:14 PM
Have to add, mine was only a problem with the protective cover with the pearl 2way fix

pete-p
25th February 2016, 10:14 PM
Hmmmm... I never have difficulties with the iso-fix either. .

I think it's something to do with the Isofix base for our current seat, the catches are quite bulky.

pete-p
29th February 2016, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. We spend a few hours in Mothercare and Halfords looking at car seats and thought that the Joie suited what we wanted (Isofix, rear facing), only to be told by the shop assistant that it "hadn't been tested with that year car, only from 2003 onwards. We'll have to call them on Monday and get back to you"

They called back to say exactly what they said in-store, so we've decided not to bother with that and have ordered a Besafe Izi Kid X3 and a seat protector online at a better price. It has good reviews too, just hope the little one likes it!

Adrian E
29th February 2016, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of isofix approvals for older models. Unless they're i-size seats they will fit but the angles and support may not be quite right so you have to make a judgement.

Isofix was supposed to be universal, but ended up as 'semi-universal' or completely incomprehensible depending on your point of view! Our Maxicosi was never approved for the s8 or A6 we had at the time. I worked on isofix during its development and it does cut down significantly on the risk of an incorrect fit, as well as being more secure in the vehicle.

The BeSafe is bloody well made - when you look at high back boosters when you get to that stage the quality is light years ahead of most of the rest. We have the izi up fix for our son, so is nearly 6 and has been in it on weight grounds since he hit the 18kg weight limit on his old seat way before he hit 3!