PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Wipers

A8_Tony
9th August 2009, 08:09 PM
Ok guys, this might be premature as I've not had chance to check the car out properly yet, but on the return from AIP, my ruddy windscreen wipers packed up.

I've checked the fuse, and that seems to be ok, but during my attempts to find the correct fuse (bloody manual is confusing, it's supposed to help you identify fuses, not make it more frustrating!!) I've managed to turn my ESP light on permanently.

So, any suggestions as to how I can diagnose the actual fault with the wipers? Cheers fellas :)

PsYcHe
9th August 2009, 08:25 PM
Do the wipers work at all?

Problem I had was:

- Nothing in intermittent
- Dead slow or nothing in normal
- OK in fast

A vigorous squirting of WD40 around the mechanism did the trick :)

Check for voltage at the motor when turned on (keep fingers safe just in case!)

A8_Tony
9th August 2009, 08:31 PM
Do the wipers work at all?

Problem I had was:

- Nothing in intermittent
- Dead slow or nothing in normal
- OK in fast

A vigorous squirting of WD40 around the mechanism did the trick :)

Check for voltage at the motor when turned on (keep fingers safe just in case!)

Not a bloody jot fella. Just went when switching from normal to fast whilst trying to clean my ruddy windscreen :s

CliveH
9th August 2009, 09:14 PM
If the mechanism is the same (or similar) as the S4, then it can get clogged up with sh1te which eventually seizes it up. If it hasn't failed completely, then the solution is to remove it and give it a good clean. A bit fiddly but not difficult.

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow and if it's the same or similar, I'll post up the 'how to'.

As for the ESP light, that's a bit of a mystery unless you've simply dislodged a fuse.

A8_Tony
10th August 2009, 09:24 AM
Checked again this morning, and it's the ruddy linkage. Main arm from the motor has come away from the linkage controlling the movement of the blades.

ESP light was sorted with putting the fuse back in the correct place +++

entwisi
10th August 2009, 10:13 AM
the nut came off where the linkage connect to the motor on mine. a bit fiddly with chunky fingers like mine but got there in the end.... ( took 2 do's to make sure it 'parked' correctly :D ) Now installed with a dab of thread locking compound to make sure it doesn't do it again!

CliveH
10th August 2009, 11:06 AM
sounds like you're you're sorted then Tony +++

A8_Tony
10th August 2009, 11:31 AM
sounds like you're you're sorted then Tony +++

Hopefully fella, now need to work out how to remove the existing 'stud' that connects the two linkage arms, so that I can replace it with a nut/bolt/washer combo :)

Conan_the_Librarian
10th August 2009, 12:27 PM
Hopefully fella, now need to work out how to remove the existing 'stud' that connects the two linkage arms, so that I can replace it with a nut/bolt/washer combo :)

A lump hammer and brick bolster will do it! :p

Architex_mA8tey
10th August 2009, 03:53 PM
LOL ahh the old persuader . . . . :D