PDA

View Full Version : Well this isnt good for a first day

limoncello
12th April 2016, 03:02 PM
Steering suddenly gone very heavy, barely turn it at all

run a scan nothing seems significant, anyone know what i should be looking at

IT
12th April 2016, 03:08 PM
Dare I suggest VCDS in case its some clever steering / drive select thing and it can give you a clue ?

Otherwise you're into mechanicals of steering fluid / leaks i guess ?

:(

kungfupanda
12th April 2016, 03:18 PM
Can you take the engine cover off to see whether the auxiliary belt drives the power steering pump? If it does, check if it's in good condition and not come off any of the pulleys?

Clutching at straws here but it's a simple check to do.

limoncello
12th April 2016, 03:19 PM
tried vcds - cant see anything strange

limoncello
12th April 2016, 03:21 PM
Can you take the engine cover off to see whether the auxiliary belt drives the power steering pump? If it does, check if it's in good condition and not come off any of the pulleys?

wouldnt know what i was looking at

limoncello
12th April 2016, 03:39 PM
if the power steering has gone shouldnt i see something in vcds

IT
12th April 2016, 03:43 PM
if the power steering has gone shouldnt i see something in vcds

Maybe not if its entirely mechanical....

If its really, completely without power, and turns ok at speed, then I would go with earlier suggestion of checking belts.

I would imagine if a belt was off, it would be really quite obvious with the bonnet up and engine cover off if the engine was turning but a belt was off or still..

IT
12th April 2016, 03:44 PM
But if the belt was off, you'd expect it to be driving other things like a/c or alternator. You'd expect to notice that....

Is everything 100% ok bar the steering ?

limoncello
12th April 2016, 04:14 PM
i can see one belt - looks ok and turns while engine on

cant see anything else

havent noticed anything else not working, AC seems ok

was thinking to check power steering fluid, found the cap but it doesnt seem to budge, is this a brute force screw on or is there a trick to it

kungfupanda
12th April 2016, 04:22 PM
Power steering cap might be tough to get off. Does it have a narrow cutout across the top to stick something in to turn?

To be fair, if you've bought from Oscar, I'd presume he'd take it back straight away to put any problems right.

limoncello
12th April 2016, 04:26 PM
yes its got a cross pattern on the top

spoke to Oscar - he said get it down to Audi - which ive already arranged for tommorow.

steamship
12th April 2016, 04:26 PM

Not sure about the A8s, but I had the same problem a few years back on an A4 2.5 TDi. Could barely budge the steering wheel. Belts looked OK visually, but turned out to be one of the tensioners had gone.

Rick
12th April 2016, 04:29 PM
Power steering pump is one of very few things without any sensors. Vcds wont pick it up.

limoncello
12th April 2016, 04:34 PM
makes sense

just happens i did a scan this afternoon a couple of hours before it went , the one after shows no difference

kungfupanda
12th April 2016, 04:41 PM
Good luck with driving it to Audi! I tried to drive my bosses CL63 without power steering and gave up. Just remember to let it start rolling before putting in any steering input!

limoncello
12th April 2016, 05:10 PM
getting it recovered to audi

im not even going to try driving

gninnam
12th April 2016, 07:36 PM
When trying to steer does it make any strange noises?
Any fluid on the floor?

Best if you can get the cap off to check the level.

limoncello
12th April 2016, 07:53 PM
no noises, cant tell if there was fluid it was raining quite heavily

as for the cap, i would like to know too but..
it wouldnt budge, if this is the problem audi can sort it and make sure thers no leaks etc.

i dont have time to try it again before they pick it up

jza8
12th April 2016, 07:55 PM
The power steering pump is not driven by belt. Belt only drives alternator and a/c compressor on 4.2tdi. It's driven by rear chain/gears. Might be the pump I see the part number has been replaced/superseded 3 times.

IT
12th April 2016, 08:07 PM
getting it recovered to audi

im not even going to try driving

I presume Oscar has agreed to pay for it ? Direct hopefully ?

Stupid question I know, but a forum member some time ago suggested they had a lot of grief getting Oscar to compensate for issues post sale.

I've never had issues personally, as I bought a car and drove off trouble free.

Your case does seem clear cut, but would always recommend anyone apply caution when booking anything in for work at a 3rd party where there's a claim involved on a different 3rd party.

Hope it does get sorted easily for you.

limoncello
12th April 2016, 08:11 PM
yes he has offered, well i say that what he said was get it to audi lets see what it is.

IT
12th April 2016, 08:29 PM
yes he has offered, well i say that what he said was get it to audi lets see what it is.

Sounds a little non committed.... I'm sure you'll tread carefully.

Genuinely curious what the issue is. I've just looked and its a spline driven pump like the D3, no belt. It could have failed and affected nothing else.

Jut odd it would be fine, then nothing. That more like fluid loss, but I'm sure you'd notice a big puddle on your drive.

The steering on my D4 is very light, lighter than any D3 I've ever driven. Was yours this responsive when you first got it ?

limoncello
12th April 2016, 08:35 PM
it was virtually the same feeling as the 19000 mile 4.2 i drove a week earlier, everything was fine and then gone.

its been pelting down so it possible if theres a leak i havent noticed.

it was non commital though he did add to get them to speak directly to him.

will reserve judgement, but dont see what choice i have anyway, if he is going to bugger about i still need the car up and running

IT
13th April 2016, 02:48 PM
Any feedback from Audi yet ?

limoncello
13th April 2016, 03:01 PM
not yet, dont even know if they have assigned it yet, got it ther for 10:30/11 so im probably way down the list

kungfupanda
14th April 2016, 09:54 PM
Any news?

limoncello
15th April 2016, 04:52 AM
if its been assigned it was after 5 o clock yesterday, shoould get some news today.

Glync
15th April 2016, 06:57 AM
Good luck with it mate i am sure you will have her back sorted quickly. +++

IT
15th April 2016, 08:56 AM
if its been assigned it was after 5 o clock yesterday, shoould get some news today.

Bit pants to keep an A8 customer waiting so long really unless they have furnished you with a decent loaner. There is only a handful of things that a power steering fault could be so would have expected them to be a bit closer by now...

When do you go on hols ??

limoncello
15th April 2016, 10:13 AM
it was a recovery so they say they have 48 hours to start looking at it rather than being booked in on a day.

no loaner yet, all the cars are out, but not leaving for france until friday so still plenty of time.

spoke to Oscar, says he will cover it

Still waiting for the call from Audi

limoncello
16th April 2016, 09:21 AM
im getting pretty p*****d of now, they have had the car since wednesday morning, and i havent had one call from them. despite being told at 1400 on friday they were looking at it now.
not even a call to say we havent found anything

IT
16th April 2016, 10:04 AM
You might want to give em a call.... Most Audi service Dept. close at lunch on Saturday ?

Or call Oscar, and just demand your money back..... :rolleyes:

limoncello
16th April 2016, 10:12 AM
i have called just now they close at 1300, guys outside with a customer will call me back. dont hold much hope, if they had looked at it they probably would have rang.

we will see
im not that ****ed off with oscar at the moment, this is something that doesnt show up in scans so.....

Whats the law on taking motors back etc, is there a time limit

limoncello
16th April 2016, 11:12 AM
appears i have 30 days to reject it, and the fact that there is finance also on it makes it better in some way, not sure how.

paulrstaylor
16th April 2016, 11:30 AM
appears i have 30 days to reject it, and the fact that there is finance also on it makes it better in some way, not sure how.

Because the finance company will be jointly liable along with Oscar.

limoncello
16th April 2016, 11:37 AM
cool, will see what audi say, if its a good car apart from whatever s wrong now i will be happy, otherwise its going back

guess i will have to hire a car for the holiday in that case, theres another 600 quid

Joe2.0E
16th April 2016, 11:42 AM
I would expect the Vendor to arrange/pay for a replacement vehicle until the car is repaired to your satisfaction. My next phonecall would be to Oscar.

limoncello
16th April 2016, 11:53 AM
mmmm had sudden thoughts of taking that w12 he has in his driveway for a spin to france

Delboy
16th April 2016, 11:59 AM
Why not, make your feelings known to him and get a loaner for your holiday.

limoncello
20th April 2016, 11:12 AM
so the latests

after having to ring everyday, i finally got a courtesy car yesterday,

on Monday they think its the pump, but have to order a tool to test the pump, its in the workshop

Tuesday the cars outside as i collect the courtesy car , he says it will go back in the workshop as soon as the tool arrives

Wednesday (today) i take a drive down there and call him just before i arrive, Its in the workshop being stripped down, ok i need something from the car i will pop in, ok when do you think..., im outside , oh and so is the car, in the same place i last saw it.
now they are awaiting on another undisclosed part that they need to drop the engine down slightly to fit the tool. (this is probably correct procedure)

after 7 days i have no faith that its even been in the workshop, let alone that i will get it back for my holiday on friday.

he was obviously embarrased to have been caught out, and i have rang around moving it from them to someone else wont get it fixed in time so im basically up **** creek unless they pull their finger out.

Johnmed
20th April 2016, 11:18 AM
Bugger. Hate infuriating garages and situations like this. Hope it gets sorted pronto fella.

steamship
20th April 2016, 11:31 AM
so the latests

after having to ring everyday, i finally got a courtesy car yesterday,

on Monday they think its the pump, but have to order a tool to test the pump, its in the workshop

Tuesday the cars outside as i collect the courtesy car , he says it will go back in the workshop as soon as the tool arrives

Wednesday (today) i take a drive down there and call him just before i arrive, Its in the workshop being stripped down, ok i need something from the car i will pop in, ok when do you think..., im outside , oh and so is the car, in the same place i last saw it.
now they are awaiting on another undisclosed part that they need to drop the engine down slightly to fit the tool. (this is probably correct procedure)

after 7 days i have no faith that its even been in the workshop, let alone that i will get it back for my holiday on friday.

he was obviously embarrased to have been caught out, and i have rang around moving it from them to someone else wont get it fixed in time so im basically up **** creek unless they pull their finger out.

Not a great start to your upcoming holiday. I know the Audi garages aren't owned by Audi, but would it be worthwhile contacting Audi UK and asking them to do something to rattle their cage? This isn't the sort of thing you need at this time (or any other time).

Is the courtesy car a D4 A8 (doubt it)? You've planned and paid for your holiday in France with the premise of driving your D4 A8 there in quality and comfort. You shouldn't have to do so in something inferior due to the ineptitude of a dealer who can't be bothered to do their job right.

I hope you get something sorted before Friday so that you can at least enjoy your holiday, even if you don't have your own car, and then pursue the dealer for some sort of compensation on your return.

limoncello
20th April 2016, 11:46 AM
thanks mate, your right its a A4 , but im thinking they wont want me taking that to france, its too small anyway, the a8 gets completely full of gear, an a4 has no chance, ive got this feeling that it hasnt even made the workshop yet, and the pump rubbish they have been giving me is just bull****.

there is a case for calling audi, they could put a rocket up their arse even if they arent owned by them , but will it make it better or worse

supposedly another part they are waiting for will be arriving at 1400, im thinking another drive down there after he tells me its back in the workshop being stripped down yet again. This time i will demand to see some paper work from the workshop.
if theres no proof they have done anything i have grounds to start calling directors and managers and AudiUK.

The_Laird
20th April 2016, 11:47 AM
I know the Audi garages aren't owned by Audi, but would it be worthwhile contacting Audi UK and asking them to do something to rattle their cage?

Good luck with that! I've tried talking to Audi about poor service from a dealer: they don't give a toss!

limoncello
20th April 2016, 12:22 PM
i know how it works, and its kinda ok to buy yourself a little time, if you know its up next, little white lie to keep the customer feeling happy, but this looks like they have done bugger all for days.

you should have seen the reps face when he got caught out, stumbling and talking bollocks.

steamship
20th April 2016, 12:56 PM
Good luck with that! I've tried talking to Audi about poor service from a dealer: they don't give a toss!

I know there are no guarantees with calling Audi UK, but from has been said here, it sounds like he is being messed around by the dealer, and the dealer needs a cattle prod from Audi UK to get it sorted.

On a side note, my first experience of Audi cars was a bad one (but I still love them). The very first new car I bought was a 1995 Audi A4 1.9 TDi saloon. From day one, I had issues with it, and spent 10 months arguing with the dealer about all the problems (from front bumper to back bumper). I was getting nowhere with them, and they just kept palming me off with excuses, so I contacted Audi UK. Two months later, and a £1,000 from me, and I had a new car, the extra cost to me because the new one was specced with a split rear seat and Kingfisher Blue paint. It truly was a Friday 13th car.

Joe2.0E
20th April 2016, 08:21 PM
If it was me, I'd be letting Oscar deal with the workshop as he will be picking up the tab anyway. He's also much more likely to be able to loan you a decent car until it is sorted even if this means taking the loaner to France.

limoncello
20th April 2016, 08:53 PM
Oscar and the garage are now talking, Audi have suddenly diagnosed the issue, so hopefully there is still just enough time to get things done.

Joe2.0E
20th April 2016, 09:04 PM
Thats great, hope it gets sorted for your Holiday.
The one benefit to an A4 Loaner is you will really appreciate your A8 when you get it back

limoncello
20th April 2016, 09:17 PM
well thats for sure, its a manual with stop and go , makes you think youve screwed up the clutch, had to turn it off

briang9
20th April 2016, 10:05 PM
If it was me, I'd be letting Oscar deal with the workshop as he will be picking up the tab anyway. He's also much more likely to be able to loan you a decent car until it is sorted even if this means taking the loaner to France.

I was just thinking that as well, your deal/contract for the car is with Oscar, so I would be chasing them for a loan for your hols, hope it all works out for you and you have a stress free holiday+++

limoncello
21st April 2016, 02:28 AM
good thoughts, unfortunately Oscar is a long way from me, not thast he has offered, and with time running out i dont see it happening.
The way i see it now is, the car has been diagnosed, and quoted, its a 7 hour job, from when oscar says go (if they have the part),

At about 4 on Friday Im picking up a hire car at which point i will be rejecting the car, and getting a refund. If he wants to use some of these hours negotiating a couple of hundred quid off rather than make sure i get the car on time thats up to him.

i am getting quite relaxed with the idea, if i get the car back now, i will be taking a fully loaded car with wife and 2 small kids in a car which ive driven only once and then it failed, on a 2000 mile round trip. one of the main reasons i changed was to have a car less likely to be breaking down in the middle of nowhere in central france, and though there are no garantee's whatever the car, this one doesnt have a great batting average.

gninnam
21st April 2016, 11:06 AM
Sorry about the crap Nick - hope it works out for you the right way, but enjoy your holiday visiting the family :)

limoncello
21st April 2016, 11:14 AM
Thanks Andy, it isnt working out at the moment, i dont see this being done on time. il give it until 2 if i dont hear they have started and are liable to get it to me tommorow, im going for the hire car option.

ainarssems
21st April 2016, 11:40 AM
Feel for you mate, does not give much confidence in the car or the dealers. I know when I have done some work on car I feel uneasy to do a long journey straight after in fear that I might have missed something even if I am always double checking and paying special attention to anything safety related.

It has happened before, did not secure radiator hose properly on Freelander after head gasket replacement and it popped off with a cloud of steam just as wife pulled in work car park 5 miles from home. Not a biggie, went over with the other car, found the issue and was fixed 10 minutes later but if it had happened 100 miles from home it would have been major inconvenience.

I would not be confident taking car to France knowing that dealer might have rushed things to get it done on time. Not before having it driven for at least couple of days locally. The way they handled it does not give much confidence as well.

limoncello
21st April 2016, 11:53 AM
i agree, have just called them and they still havent got started or the part in yet, and havent ordered it until oscar finishes his negotiations, so best will in the world it isnt going to happen by close of play tommorow.

Audi are looking at whether they have a bigger car than the A4 to give me but all the a8s are out (didnt know they had a8s as courtesy cars) they obviously keep them for people with newer 8s than ive had.

i will give him an hour then arrange the hire car, choice looks to be a BMW 530 or something like a seat alhambra
oh well at least the kids get to see the grandparents still

limoncello
22nd April 2016, 09:14 AM
I now have an A6, but a thought occured overnight as to whether these cars can leave the country.

Rep didnt know, no one has asked before, answer is NO

Getting a Hire car to take out of the country is also difficult and costly and only applies to certain vehicles. AND/OR you also need some paperwork from Swansea

I have cover with green flag, but as my cars been in the garage for more than 7 days it doesnt apply. AND you cant take it out of the country.

Last thought - Part coming in today, car could be ready by Monday / tuesday i could just change the date outbound , still get 7 days. but no

No part in stock, no part arriving, part on back order, probably wont know till monday when the part will arrive

so thats it, holiday now officially cancelled

im actually just quite relieved that i no longer have to chase audi to do it on time.

Johnmed
22nd April 2016, 09:17 AM
That's rubbish. Hard to see any positives here.

Architex_mA8tey
22nd April 2016, 09:22 AM
Sorry to hear and yes I agree that's totally useless from both Audi and also Oscar etc.

I have to say I would be surprised that any hire car can be taken easily at no additional cost from the mainland UK over water - when i was looking at travelling to Ireland last summer I needed a Ford Galaxy sized people carrier to carry four of us plus luggage comfortably on our travels and looked at hiring in the UK to then go over to Ireland and it became apparent that it would costs a HUGE amount of additional money ie nearly £1k to do so, it worked out cheaper to just fly out there and hire a car the other end by far - maybe that is an option instead?

Also if you had travel insurance then look at what it can do to help. . .

audifin
22nd April 2016, 09:28 AM
Why they make it so difficult to go abroad? :Confused: Go to Germany or Switzerland or wherever in Europe and there are no restrictions whatsoever to cross borders in a hire car..

Architex_mA8tey
22nd April 2016, 09:31 AM
Why they make it so difficult to go abroad? :Confused: Go to Germany or Switzerland or wherever in Europe and there are no restrictions whatsoever to cross borders in a hire car..

crossing land borders to adjacent countries is much more likely in mainland europe but when you factor in a sea or tunnel crossing it seems to be a completely different kettle of fish, both insurance wise and also presumably their worry about the car never coming back!

HPsauce
22nd April 2016, 09:31 AM
I'd be looking hard at two things:
1. Your travel insurance to see what that will do to help.
2. Hire/ferry/hire following (roughly?) your original route/itinerary.

An international hire company like Avis would surely be able to provide a suitable car to get you to the ferry port (or take a taxi?) and have one available to pick up at the continental port for your holiday.

I've been an Avis Preferred member for many years and their service is excellent and rates reasonably competitive.
(I started out as a shareholder which gave great discounts worldwide until they were bought out by venture capitalists)

limoncello
22nd April 2016, 10:27 AM
travel insurance not helpful as we havent left yet. they provide for things like the coost of flights etc you couldnt take.

looked at flights and then hire car, still about a grand, its not just the money, its the baggage allowances and all the crap that goes with ryan air.

really im just relieved, i will tack on an extra week to the 3 i will already take in the summer, and this week take the kids to peppa land or thomas land etc.#

steamship
22nd April 2016, 11:00 AM
so thats it, holiday now officially cancelled

That just stinks! Feel especially sorry for your kids and the grandparents.

I suppose at least it removes the possible worry of driving a hastily repaired car to France and back, but someone (Oscar or Audi) need to pull their finger out with some sort of compensation.

paulrstaylor
22nd April 2016, 11:22 AM
That sucks, what is the actual fault diagnosis?

limoncello
22nd April 2016, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys

fault diagnosis is a failed steering pump, all in they wanted £2300 oscar got them down to 1800 ish, just shows you can barter it down quite a way

ainarssems
22nd April 2016, 12:50 PM
There are plenty of hire companies offering vehicles for driving in Europe. My friend was looking to get a van for week in May to go to Latvia and bring his tools to UK in it so we looked around for options. 7 day hire was about £700 for LWB Sprinter including Green Card insurance for Europe, European breakdown cover and unlimited mileage, by comparison same vehicle cost about £400 for 7 days in UK and 700 mile limit.

It's more than he wants to pay so he is considering hiring a trailer instead to tow with his Accord or buying a trailer in Latvia and selling it here.

paulrstaylor
22nd April 2016, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys

fault diagnosis is a failed steering pump, all in they wanted £2300 oscar got them down to 1800 ish, just shows you can barter it down quite a way

Is interesting to see you can haggle, but I wonder if he had just approved the work if you would have got your car back faster :Confused:

limoncello
22nd April 2016, 04:51 PM
him not approving made a difference of about 5 to 6 working hours over 2 days, i did have a go at the time, but actually in this case its audi that wasted the days away without doing anything, so the only real difference is the part would be on back order a bit earlier , it still wouldnt be fixed.

jza8
22nd April 2016, 06:56 PM
all in they wanted £2300 oscar got them down to 1800 ish, just shows you can barter it down quite a way
:eek: Just had a look the pump costs around £800, so £1000 is labour.
I replaced the power steering pump on my dad's audi a6 1.9 tdi a year ago paid £60 for the pump, took 30 mins to replace. Just shows the cost of ownership of these beasts, luckily this one not out of your pocket.

limoncello
22nd April 2016, 07:02 PM
yes , dont think oscar was pleased, but he did what he was meant to. not that he had much of a case to dispute it, after only 24 hours of ownershipit would be coming back to him for a full refund. originally they said it was 870 for the pump, probably plus vat so its a grand for that part before you start. plus the work includes dropping the engine so its not something i could do or would attempt so your paying 7 hours labor charges

IT
25th April 2016, 04:07 PM
Crumbs..... Just been catching up after my week away...

Bad news about the planned holiday, but I can understand the relief now of not having to rush around and juggle things. Good to see Oscar seems to be doing his bit.

Obviously it would have been great had it not failed in the first place, but better to fail now, that whilst on hols for sure.

So a couple of positive there, and the new pump will be covered under a full 2 year Audi warranty so if it should fail again, its covered +++

Hopefully it will be trouble free once you get a pump installed and back to you.

limoncello
25th April 2016, 04:34 PM
I certainly hope its going to go well after this

Latest News - Pump on back order Will arrive on the 28th - At the factory in Germany.

I guess im not going to see the car until the 2nd or 3rd at least.

nath
26th April 2016, 12:44 PM
just read the entire thread mate
shocking treatment from both dealer and audi

which engine was this on ?

4.2 or 3.0 ?

limoncello
26th April 2016, 04:48 PM
To be honest this is mostly Audi

Cant believe that these pumps ate so good even the factory doesn't have a spare

Its the 4.2

Mechcanico Lee
26th April 2016, 08:23 PM
What mileage is the car limon ? Is there any known issues with these pumps , have Audi seen failures of the pumps before on the d4 ?

limoncello
27th April 2016, 06:07 AM
95k. According to local Audi so few problems they had to buy a tool specially for me. They hadn't needed one before

Or that may be just more bull

limoncello
3rd May 2016, 12:09 PM
The pump arrived from the factory on friday, not in time to get it completed before the bank holiday of course.

Rang this morning, they have it fitted, But, they cant code it to the car

guess what, i need a firmware update on the convienience module which of course they can do

AFTER Audi send them the software for my vehicle, ie Audi have to create the software encoded to my car with mileage etc coded in.

they have 48 hours to do this but was thrilled to learn they often do it quicker
(sarcasm becoming more prevalant as this 3 week , so far saga continues)

i will note the version number changed to and from after i get the car back so anyone in the future will be able to tell them in advance that it needs to be done.

IT
3rd May 2016, 02:05 PM
I was wondering how you were getting on this morning. I had sort of hoped that the lack of posts had meant all was good / going well.

What a carry on.....

limoncello
3rd May 2016, 02:29 PM
i was hoping so too, been looking forward to tuesday all weekend

steamship
3rd May 2016, 03:36 PM
I was wondering how you were getting on this morning. I had sort of hoped that the lack of posts had meant all was good / going well.

What a carry on.....

A case of 'no news' is 'bad news'. You could sort of understand this if the job was being done by a back alley mechanic, but you would have thought that being Audi, they would know how to fix their own cars. :-(

It never ceases to amaze me how much Audi and their dealer network tarnish their own name.

Johnmed
3rd May 2016, 08:35 PM
A case of 'no news' is 'bad news'. You could sort of understand this if the job was being done by a back alley mechanic, but you would have thought that being Audi, they would know how to fix their own cars. :-(

It never ceases to amaze me how much Audi and their dealer network tarnish their own name.

Audi are not alone in this respect. It has amazed me how bad Honda's dealer network are, over the 10 years SWMBO has had her Jazz. It's especially frustrating as their cars are fantastic, and Honda UK are good too.

IT
5th May 2016, 10:44 AM
Its designed to fail really.

The Audi dealers are all independently owned, with their own accounting, and are simply expected to deliver a service to Audi customers, whilst worrying about their own profit. My own experience with the Audi Approved warranty proves hands down they'll cut any corners they think they can get away with.

Sad really, as like Honda, the cars are well designed from the outset but are let down by an ever increasing technical complexity, leading to more dependence on dealers, who themselves don't know or care how to help.

I wonder if the Tesla model, where the dealerships are Tesla owned and run, give a better experience overall.....

steamship
5th May 2016, 10:49 AM
I wonder if the Tesla model, where the dealerships are Tesla owned and run, give a better experience overall.....

And now; over to our Tesla correspondent for the latest developments; Tintin

limoncello
5th May 2016, 11:37 AM
latest this morning

Still no news of software arriving

i called Audi UK

ME : Can you help find out when im going to get the required software update

AUDI UK: Sorry we cant speed up the process

ME: Can you find out when it will be

AUDI UK: No sorry we cant do that, would you like me to chase the leeds audi management

ME: What for, if you cant do anything what do you think they can do

AUDI UK: I could log your case , someone will call you back next week

ME : Dont bother

The_Laird
5th May 2016, 11:48 AM
This reflects my experiences exactly with Audi dealerships and complaints to Audi UK. The former don't give a to** and the latter don't give a sh**! Haven't used a dealership for years and years after some dreadful experiences. I really don't understand why Audi let their brand get so badly tarnished.

limoncello
5th May 2016, 11:53 AM
Al in all im begining to wish i had taken the Range Rover sport i viewed a week before i bought this A8

IT
5th May 2016, 11:57 AM
Oh......... its gone to Leeds Audi.......

You're lucky they haven't lost the car. That is rumoured to have happened at least once... :rolleyes:

IT
5th May 2016, 12:00 PM
Al in all im begining to wish i had taken the Range Rover sport i viewed a week before i bought this A8

Presumably you must still have the right to cancel ?... Its not like you've had your recent purchase for more than a day, and I don't doubt the finance company would mess about like this collecting their instalments. :(

Whilst its not directly Oscars fault, the situation would make a great comedy sketch if it weren't so painfully true.

limoncello
5th May 2016, 12:18 PM
i do still have the right, but as you say this isnt oscars fault entirely. the 23 days lost so far have been a catalogue of errors by audi

if it goes to the weekend they are going to get me an 8 to drive.

still wont make up for it

IT
5th May 2016, 12:22 PM
i do still have the right, but as you say this isnt oscars fault entirely. the 23 days lost so far have been a catalogue of errors by audi

True, but I do wonder if he'd paid book price for the work if it might have got more of a priority....

if it goes to the weekend they are going to get me an 8 to drive.

Gee. How good of them. I won't believe it until you post a photo of it in the flesh though.

If this were your first ever experience of Audi UK, the A8 and Leeds Audi, why the heck would you ever go back..... :rolleyes:

limoncello
5th May 2016, 12:30 PM
i wouldnt, if it wasnt for the fact that they have been prtty good to me for the last 6 years, i wouldnt go to sytner ever again.

there was a point just before my holiday (that i didnt get) that i was online to the bank, hovering over the accept me button for a loan to buy yours in the meantime.

then common sense got the better of me, 2 identical cars outside the house.

however Oscar has left me with one more problem, i have re arranged my holiday for the end of this month, before that the MOT is due.

"dont worry it will pass no problem" is ringing in my ears at the moment, and if it fails and has to go back in the workshop i may well be coming your way with a fistfull of dollars.

cant help thinking that had he done some pre prep on this car i wouldnt be in this position.

IT
5th May 2016, 12:45 PM
lol, I had considered how good it would be had there been a practical way I could have lent you my car for your holiday, but in reality that would have been a bit messy.

Maybe I should have sold it to you on a sale or return basis for a long test drive ;)

I've driven it twice in the last fortnight, both times to shuffle it a few feet on the driveway. I'm currently in Birmingham, having been to London yesterday, and I still took the TT for the multi-hundred mile journey as the sun is out and I wanted the roof down.... Doh.

I go sunburnt yesterday though. That'll teach me. :D

limoncello
5th May 2016, 12:57 PM
lol, I had considered how good it would be had there been a practical way I could have lent you my car for your holiday, but in reality that would have been a bit messy.

Maybe I should have sold it to you on a sale or return basis for a long test drive ;)

I've driven it twice in the last fortnight, both times to shuffle it a few feet on the driveway. I'm currently in Birmingham, having been to London yesterday, and I still took the TT for the multi-hundred mile journey as the sun is out and I wanted the roof down.... Doh.

I go sunburnt yesterday though. That'll teach me. :D

Very nice of you but i couldnt do that, after the realisation that i couldnt have 2 identical cars i breifly considered buying the range rover, then i considered for a lot longer a family holiday where i get 10 days of her indoors glowering at me becuase i spent 40 grand in a week on 2 cars neither of which in her opinion we needed

IT
5th May 2016, 01:06 PM
her indoors glowering at me becuase i spent 40 grand in a week on 2 cars neither of which in her opinion we needed

I used to get this a lot, but I think she's become immune to it now.... In fact she came with me to get the A8, and is now actively encouraging me to get something more sporty.

Wait. This is downright suspicious come to think of it.... +++

limoncello
5th May 2016, 01:09 PM
you have to let us know how you achieved that, we need a new thread "why i (we) need 2 cars"

Glync
6th May 2016, 10:15 AM
Hi Hope you manage to get it sorted soon mate as they are superb cars, mine was a joy to drive down to Newbury this week, nearly 40mpg and so smooth! She is starting to loosen up now with over 5k on the clock, and the mpg is improving when I don't need to feel that shove in the back :rolleyes:

On the multiple cars thing I have had up to five going at one time and have scaled back to three now +++ I find keeping the other two hidden in the garage helps :) When they were on the drive I was constantly reminded you need to sell some of these cars. But slowly I have converted my wife to allowing me to have more than one or two as she appreciates the benefits of me spending time in the garage and not moaning about the trashy TV she likes to view :ROFL:
I have just had a lift installed and when I proudly showed off the new acquisition she floored me by stating "oh you could fit another car in here now under than one" ....true love :love:

limoncello
6th May 2016, 02:50 PM
DAY 24

The software update arrives from the factory BUT

While moving the car they split a hose

part ordered for Monday

which will be Day 27

i dont know what else to say

IT
6th May 2016, 03:19 PM
DAY 24

While moving the car they split a hose

WTF ?....

That's the best excuse they have left in their black book of excuses ??

So........ You do have an A8 courtesy car now though. Right ?

limoncello
6th May 2016, 03:27 PM
So........ You do have an A8 courtesy car now though. Right ?

No, i didnt even bother mentioning it

IT
6th May 2016, 03:30 PM
and Oscar has left you to do all the chasing ?

Think I would have binned it off by now and just got my money back.

If they are now confessing to breaking a pipe.

What have they screwed up that they're not confessing to.....

limoncello
6th May 2016, 03:35 PM
i was more wondering wether the pipe was to blame in the first place and no pump was even required.

IT
6th May 2016, 03:37 PM
couldn't possibly be.

They tested the pump with their special tool in week 1 didn't they ? ;)

limoncello
6th May 2016, 03:44 PM
they did nothing in week 1 - they tested the pump somepoint in week 2

IT
6th May 2016, 03:45 PM
they did nothing in week 1 - they tested the pump somepoint in week 2

Yeah sorry, I thought I'd given them a little too much credit when I hit submit.... :p

limoncello
6th May 2016, 03:45 PM
oh sorry to be precise in week 1/2 they stripped it down 3 times and put it together again

waiting for the special tool

PsYcHe
6th May 2016, 05:34 PM
Think the workshop is less special tool and more special needs tools

Johnmed
6th May 2016, 05:55 PM
and oscar has left you to do all the chasing ?

Think i would have binned it off by now and just got my money back.

this.

Turbo Tony
6th May 2016, 06:36 PM
What a saga! I can't believe it's not resolved yet!

I'm feeling for you, I really am.

steamship
6th May 2016, 07:21 PM
and Oscar has left you to do all the chasing ?

Think I would have binned it off by now and just got my money back.

Getting very close to the time limit to reject it. I'd be inclined to agree with IT at this stage, and reject it. Having purchased your 'ideal' car, this shouldn't be how you're experiencing it. My worry would be they fix the pump, get it back to you, and then something else fails, and then you're up s*it creek with no comeback. Always liked the cars Oscar has for sale, but for a dealer to leave you doing the donkey work stinks.

Think the workshop is less special tool and more special needs tools

Beginning to think this myself when 'special tool' was mentioned.

Joe2.0E
6th May 2016, 07:40 PM
It's time for a serious chat with Oscar at this stage. He can't undo the past few weeks but he could at least extend the warranty on the car at the very least.

limoncello
7th May 2016, 06:13 AM
There isnt a time limit to reject a car as such, and i am on day 2 (as of monday coming) as far as anyone is concerned. obviously the sooner you reject the better, but im still well within my rights, and the finance company are already aware of the situation which makes it easier for me. and i will be talking to oscar.

But i like to be fair, Oscar is partially responsible by lack of pre preperation on the car etc. I have no doubts i can still reject it easily without to much fuss. and having only had it for 24 hours i havent yet even tried every feature of the car.

these things happen even on brand new cars, the main fault here is with Audi. IF the pump which is very rare according to them has really gone, 27 days to fix is still an unbelievable amount of time.

The current position/excuse is - we were moving the car back in to the workshop to apply the software update and a pipe ruptured (its one of those hard pipes look to be made out of metal) - when there is no pump it puts a much greater strain on the rest of the system and the pipe burst.

Im not an expert on mechanics as most of you know. so whether this is likely or possible i dont know yet. the cynic in me is saying that there is a far greater likelyhood of the pipe being the main (only) cause of the problem and the pump was never at fault.

When you consider that i was driving at the time and it went from normal steering to no steering in a second, no warnings no degradation of steering functions etc. It would seem to me that a pipe off or ruptured is by far much more likely than a steering pump.

what do you think - are my assumptions correct. is there a greater strain on other parts of the system? is what they say posiible/probable.

As it stands i will get the car back on monday after the free MOT being done by them and the new pipe fitted.

Whether or not the pipe or pump is at fault there has been a catalog of errors here . and 27 days

Norretal
7th May 2016, 06:49 AM
When you consider that i was driving at the time and it went from normal steering to no steering in a second, no warnings no degradation of steering functions etc. It would seem to me that a pipe off or ruptured is by far much more likely than a steering pump.

I can only offer limited input but when my power steering pipe ruptured and spilled the contents of the system and reservoir on the road that is the exact scenario I had, one roundabout everything is fine, next one half a mile down the road I realise all is not well and have to wrestle it around the roundabout. D3 obviously, but probably not much different?

I feel your pain on the Audi front too, I was told in August 2014 that there were no inlet manifolds available for the D3 S8, and none would be produced until January 2015. After hearing that news I looked at alternatives (import / repair) and six days later TPS delivered a brand new one to the independent who had my car. Fortunately I'd arranged a repair of mine so told them to stick their £2,500 replacement. The scenario was a bit more complex than explained but it left me thinking Audi and TPS weren't very professional at all, nigh on incompetent in fact

I hope you get sorted satisfactorily, and in a way that suits you best. Personally, I'd have bailed out ages ago and started looking again, I'd never feel confident and comfortable with a car I'd had such an unpleasant start with.

Good luck +++

limoncello
9th May 2016, 02:30 PM
My 1000th post

The car finally has power steering again, havent been to collect it yet just had the call. hopefully its passing its MOT as I write, so will collect today or tommorow morning

unless it fails of course

IT
9th May 2016, 02:37 PM
My 1000th post

The car finally has power steering again, havent been to collect it yet just had the call. hopefully its passing its MOT as I write, so will collect today or tommorow morning

unless it fails of course

Good news, although the sceptic in me will save celebrations for the 1001th post where you post its actually arrived home safe and working..... :rolleyes:

Johnmed
9th May 2016, 02:57 PM
Indeed. Postpone celebrations until you're happy with it, in the flesh so to speak.

limoncello
10th May 2016, 02:04 PM
Post 1001

finally home, been for a drive or 2, happy again, the D4 is a lovely place to be

MMI version seems to be on 0065 which isnt listed on the updates (maybe because it was the first.)

god knows what map version i have, suspect i need to update

put in a giffgaff sim card, but no option for google maps, though the online services works ok. not getting the funnny sign in the display except briefy when i rebooted the mmi.

first mod done - the boot now opens and closes with the key fob

IT
10th May 2016, 02:12 PM
Yay.... +++

I confess I took mine out for a run today too. Harrogate to Birmingham this morning. Was very, very peaceful.... Lovely wafty comfy place to be.

Enjoy +++

P.S. Feel free to document the boot mod.... +++

Johnmed
10th May 2016, 02:39 PM
Excellent.

Adrian E
10th May 2016, 03:15 PM
MMI version seems to be on 0065 which isnt listed on the updates (maybe because it was the first.)

god knows what map version i have, suspect i need to update

put in a giffgaff sim card, but no option for google maps, though the online services works ok. not getting the funnny sign in the display except briefy when i rebooted the mmi.

If you have a P in the firmware version before 0065 then it's the 'Production' firmware that it left the factory with. If it says K then it's been updated at some point.

Post the map database version and it should be possible to work out the age of the maps (I imagine original). I'm on 6.22.4 now

It may be a case of RTFM for Google maps access, now you've inserted a SIM, or it may need a firmware update.

Assuming yours is definitely 3G+ then it should be available.

limoncello
10th May 2016, 03:35 PM
Thanks Adrian

there is a P HN+_EU_AU_P0065

i suspect your right, there is no "google" in the nav settings, looks like i need an MMI update, can i go straight to the latest version or do i have to work my way up.

Nav is 8R0060884R ECE 5.11.6, looks old compared to yours, probably also 2010, as Oscar believes you dont need to update maps anymore, thinks its auto downloaded when you have online services.

Adrian E
10th May 2016, 04:21 PM
I'd go step by step - IT may chip in based on recent experience but generally fairly straightforward to do. A backup power supply is recommended

Don't think you're local as would offer assistance if you were?

limoncello
10th May 2016, 05:05 PM
thats going to be a long job, i count 7 updates in between mine and the latest

:)

Joe2.0E
10th May 2016, 06:12 PM
If its any help, My 2011 D4 had version K0097 when I bought the car. I just got my local dealer to update the MMI to K0770. This took them over 2 hours and was done using the dealer supplied SD card. They billed me for an hours labour which was decent. I have posted the details previously in the D4 Sat Nav section of the forum.
Unfortunately Oscar is wrong about the Sat Nav updates being free. In fact it appears quite expensive to have done which is why I havent bothered.

limoncello
10th May 2016, 06:43 PM
The dealer did it With the sd card ?

so if you were on 0097 (oh yes it is, was hiding), that isnt in the list of ones to update, maybe its possible to go straight up to the latest as your dealer did. I thought if the dealer did it they would use the VAS at least, but if they defo used the sd cards.....

limoncello
10th May 2016, 08:13 PM
been reading around the net, dangerous i know. But

there are some opinions that the route to the latest 0900 is to to go to 0770 first if your current version is less than that.

ie cutting out the requirement for all the earlier versions.

Adrian E
10th May 2016, 08:38 PM
I just wouldn't risk it tbh. I've prob got the full set of updates here and nav maps can be done now too ;)

limoncello
10th May 2016, 08:45 PM
i have the updates, and the new maps, there is a risk to doing any update, for me this will be probably 7 hours of updating, 7 times the risk

naturally im not going to just jump in without hearing that someone has done this already. but i would be very happy with one update to 0770 at the moment.

if theres a risk to it, im quite happy to pay audi an hours work to get it done

i think they owe me a favour anyway

Adrian E
10th May 2016, 08:49 PM
Firmware updates aren't usually that long - I'd wait for IT to chip in when he reads this

limoncello
10th May 2016, 08:53 PM
he is on 770 so im guessing he has done the update

paulrstaylor
10th May 2016, 09:04 PM
if theres a risk to it, im quite happy to pay audi an hours work to get it done

i think they owe me a favour anyway

That isn't a bad shout +++

If not, there is a lot of advice on the A5OC site from people who have done the upgrades themselves - seems there are more A5s with MMI 3GP than A8s, or at least more owners upgrading out of the dealer network :ROFL:

Joe2.0E
10th May 2016, 09:36 PM
The Dealer definitely used an SD card as they had to order it and it took a few days before it came in. The Technician showed me the SD card in its packaging before he started the update.
I think they used VAS to activate it if that makes any sense.
If your Dealer will do it for an hours labour charge, It's not worth the risk.
After the experience you've had, they should be doing it for free.

limoncello
10th May 2016, 09:40 PM
The Dealer definitely used an SD card as they had to order it and it took a few days before it came in. The Technician showed me the SD card in its packaging before he started the update.

i am leaning towards it, dont want it to take 28 days though :). If they used the sd card to update i imagine they used VAS to get rid of the CP. it shouldnt need any other activating.

kungfupanda
11th May 2016, 08:50 AM
Bravo on getting the car sorted chap. Did the car pass the MOT?

Also, as IT has mentioned, any chance of letting us know how you operate the bottled from the key? Is it a VCDS thing?

limoncello
11th May 2016, 09:01 AM
yes finnaly sorted thanks

MOT passed without problem

Boot lid is a vcds thing, simple bit of coding as below

Close your boot remotely using your key fob (and retain the opening feature)
Go to Module 46 (cent convenience), coding, long coding helper and ensure byte two, bit two is ticked it says "Comfort operation: Remote control active".
Then got to module 6D (Trunk Electrics), security access and enter security code "12345".
Then still in Module 6D, click adaptation, channel and there are 4 options in there (among others) called "Activation using rear lid opening button in remote key - Touch function for closing".
Select all four of those options, one at a time, and change the value to ACTIVE and press do it.
Thats it. You still open your boot as normal - press and hold the middle button on the fob,
but to close it, you can now just click the button on the remote (not a press and hold) and the
boot will close and beep to warn you.

i tried it it works but i dint hear a beep

limoncello
11th May 2016, 09:03 AM

im amazed at the parts dealers dont have available, specially things like the latest firmware

limoncello
11th May 2016, 09:05 AM
Yay.... +++

P.S. Feel free to document the boot mod.... +++

Apologies i missed this bit, being way down near the huge number of ex cars you have owned

kungfupanda
11th May 2016, 09:07 AM
Brilliant. Cheers for that.

IT
12th May 2016, 11:17 AM
Apologies i missed this bit, being way down near the huge number of ex cars you have owned

Fair comment.... ;)

IT
12th May 2016, 11:34 AM
Boot lid is a vcds thing, simple bit of coding as below

Close your boot remotely using your key fob (and retain the opening feature)
Go to Module 46 (cent convenience), coding, long coding helper and ensure byte two, bit two is ticked it says "Comfort operation: Remote control active".
Then got to module 6D (Trunk Electrics), security access and enter security code "12345".
Then still in Module 6D, click adaptation, channel and there are 4 options in there (among others) called "Activation using rear lid opening button in remote key - Touch function for closing".
Select all four of those options, one at a time, and change the value to ACTIVE and press do it.
Thats it. You still open your boot as normal - press and hold the middle button on the fob,
but to close it, you can now just click the button on the remote (not a press and hold) and the
boot will close and beep to warn you.

i tried it it works but i dint hear a beep

ah interesting, so its enabling the same functionality that my A7 had out of the factory, only that did beep (annoyingly) as presumably they made the extra effort to factory fit a beeper +++

IT
12th May 2016, 11:50 AM
he is on 770 so im guessing he has done the update

Nope, and nope.... +++

I'm on 0095 I think, having upgraded from the factory 0065.

My next uplift is to 04xx, and then onto 0770. I'd heard going to 0900 is bad as it can nobble the ability to self install map updates (Paul said that I think?)

I've hesitated on the firmware updates as I've been in dialog with Hazy Days over upgrading the radio gear in the MMI, and been incredibly indecisive about whether the A8 is really for me (crappy weather forecast so I drove it this week to Birmingham, it was bloody epic, but really, I still long over something more sporty. I know it makes no sense, so I wont attempt to justify)

When I start any update beyond 0095 I get some scary message (which I have, but not to hand right now) implying really quite specifically there's a good chance its going to corrupt something, in a helpful, if slightly scary way.

Id reached the conclusion that if I did somehow brick it completely, it'd be a reasonably good excuse to simply buy a newer replacement MMI unit, which would already have a later firmware, googlemaps, and 3G radio gear with wireless, and get CP removed and we're away. The cost difference between that and getting Hazy Days to do it is negligible once I factor in taking a day out to travel down south for the work.

But I guess the hassle/risk/cost over very short term gain if I do sell it shortly, has put me off fiddling really, and that old favourite, a lack of time.

Maybe I'll take a look this weekend time/weather dependent.....

limoncello
12th May 2016, 11:52 AM
does the google maps work on 0095

limoncello
12th May 2016, 11:57 AM
Nope, and nope.... +++

I'm on 0095 I think, having upgraded from the factory 0065.

My next uplift is to 04xx, and then onto 0770. I'd heard going to 0900 is bad as it can nobble the ability to self install map updates (Paul said that I think?)

I've hesitated on the firmware updates as I've been in dialog with Hazy Days over upgrading the radio gear in the MMI, and been incredibly indecisive about whether the A8 is really for me (crappy weather forecast so I drove it this week to Birmingham, it was bloody epic, but really, I still long over something more sporty. I know it makes no sense, so I wont attempt to justify)

When I start any update beyond 0095 I get some scary message (which I have, but not to hand right now) implying really quite specifically there's a good chance its going to corrupt something, in a helpful, if slightly scary way.

Id reached the conclusion that if I did somehow brick it completely, it'd be a reasonably good excuse to simply buy a newer replacement MMI unit, which would already have a later firmware, googlemaps, and 3G radio gear with wireless, and get CP removed and we're away. The cost difference between that and getting Hazy Days to do it is negligible once I factor in taking a day out to travel down south for the work.

But I guess the hassle/risk/cost over very short term gain if I do sell it shortly, has put me off fiddling really, and that old favourite, a lack of time.

Maybe I'll take a look this weekend time/weather dependent.....

Thats quite worring specially as i am on 0065, Audi have offered to do it for me when i get back from holiday, im thinking this is the safest bet

hazzydays will do it for £170

IT
12th May 2016, 12:28 PM
does the google maps work on 0095

Nope.

Although I've heard that a 3G data connection is 'needed' for googlemaps.

Recommended for sure, as rich graphics over 2G would be very painful long term, but it will be disappointing if I do go to the efforts of upgrading the firmware and it still doesn't work at all due to poor data connection.

Upgrade from 0065 to 0095 was very simple and quick BTW.

Its interesting how most folks seem to have got Audi to do it. I'm almost tempted to do it myself just to see what happens and how it works for everyone's benefit. Much as I want to, I can't suppose Audi has any more knowledge really than simply following the same instructions that we would, but not caring about the warning and likely just cracking on with it.....

limoncello
12th May 2016, 12:36 PM
Nope.

Upgrade from 0065 to 0095 was very simple and quick BTW.

Its interesting how most folks seem to have got Audi to do it. I'm almost tempted to do it myself just to see what happens and how it works for everyone's benefit. Much as I want to, I can't suppose Audi has any more knowledge really than simply following the same instructions that we would, but not caring about the warning and likely just cracking on with it.....

i dont see 0095 , there is an 0097 that has DAB in the title, there isnt much in it, is that the one you did.

they dont seem to have as much knowledge actually, but if they brick it they can replace it. which would be even better

gninnam
12th May 2016, 12:56 PM
Nice pic :)
So glad you finally got the car back and sounds like you are a happy(ish) bunny again ;)

IT
12th May 2016, 12:57 PM
i dont see 0095 , there is an 0097 that has DAB in the title, there isnt much in it, is that the one you did.

Must have been.....

they dont seem to have as much knowledge actually, but if they brick it they can replace it. which would be even better

Assuming they manage to replace it successfully and within a reasonable timeframe..... :rolleyes:

I think if the A8 were parked outside, I'd have set the update off by now, having convinced myself now that if an Audi dealer can manage it, then really a next, next, next approach to running the update can't be that bad really.

limoncello
12th May 2016, 02:21 PM
ive put the first one on a card

whats putting me off is bricking it before my re-arranged holiday in 2 weeks

i wouldnt be popular at all

how much is the part if you brick it? is it the 5f unit?

where is it located

IT
12th May 2016, 02:27 PM
The MMI unit (afaik) is the single din sized unit beneath the flap where you pop your sim and SD cards in.

The trim around it pulls off, revealing a handful of screws that lets it out from what I've read. Looks a doddle.

That single unit I believe is the cellular radio, wifi (if fitted), media player, bluetooth, MMI head, jukebox, Navigation maps etc, 'the brain'

The crucial difference between the two main variants seems to be whether it has a sim slot (and thus online services) or not. With sim slot should have 1 extra coax cable on the rear that goes to the phone aerial I believe.

Seemed to be looking a little over £500 from German sellers when I last looked.

limoncello
12th May 2016, 02:44 PM
Nice pic :)
So glad you finally got the car back and sounds like you are a happy(ish) bunny again ;)

thanks andy

limoncello
12th May 2016, 02:46 PM
The MMI unit (afaik) is the single din sized unit beneath the flap where you pop your sim and SD cards in.

The trim around it pulls off, revealing a handful of screws that lets it out from what I've read. Looks a doddle.

That single unit I believe is the cellular radio, wifi (if fitted), media player, bluetooth, MMI head, jukebox, Navigation maps etc, 'the brain'

The crucial difference between the two main variants seems to be whether it has a sim slot (and thus online services) or not. With sim slot should have 1 extra coax cable on the rear that goes to the phone aerial I believe.

Seemed to be looking a little over £500 from German sellers when I last looked.

hhmmmm, quite tempting

limoncello
12th May 2016, 05:18 PM
So it should be plug and play, shouldnt it, when it boots it will get info from the can gateway and all should be well

is there a particular partnumber or software revision thats required

Adrian E
12th May 2016, 06:00 PM
So it should be plug and play, shouldnt it, when it boots it will get info from the can gateway and all should be well

...ish. CP will need removing before it works and may need coding

limoncello
12th May 2016, 06:02 PM
if its brand new there shouldnt be any CP should there, anyway not too worried about CP its only £24ish

IT
12th May 2016, 06:40 PM
New you're looking more like £3K for a new unit.....

Those prices were second hand.

Still, a bit of CP hassle is worthwhile given those savings +++

limoncello
12th May 2016, 06:42 PM
oh ok, yep il take secondhand and some CP

damtom85
14th August 2016, 06:21 PM
update like that is very risky and very often end up with RSoD(red screen of death). many units been damaged like that.

YorkshireBloke
19th August 2016, 11:23 PM
you have to let us know how you achieved that, we need a new thread "why i (we) need 2 cars"

Because there is a multiplier of X shoes / handbags (or cameras/ trips to Wembly- must watch the Equal Opps) = Y motors on the drive! ;)

Or in my case I drive You so I need a car to park on the street commuting to Leeds AND a toy... +++

Robert