PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding plastic clips

HPsauce
5th May 2016, 03:34 PM
My front undertray, the big flat panel that goes rearwards from under the front bumper, is coming adrift. Not sure if that's what it's called though.

I think it's been missing a few retaining clips for a while and catching it over a kerb hasn't helped either. :o

I can see that some clips are loose or missing from underneath and also where it joins the front lower edge of the wheel arch liners.
There also seems to be a couple of the (same/similar?) clips missing from the wheel arch liners.

I presume these are mushroom-shaped retainers with some sort of central peg that is pushed in after fixing to make it secure.

Does anyone know the Audi or VAG part number, or whether generic trim clips can be used, if so what type and size?

mattylondon
5th May 2016, 03:46 PM
It shows two pins are used. Not sure if it's both or one type depending on year?

8D0805121 (6X18MM silver) & 4A0805121A

HPsauce
5th May 2016, 04:01 PM
Thanks for that, those are the push and turn to lock type which I didn't realise.

One of those is metal to use with speednuts, the other plastic for a different type of clip. Guess I need to go and look closely.

MikkiJayne
5th May 2016, 04:01 PM
Etka calls it 'sound deadening', but everyone else uses undertray :) There are a few different clips n things that hold it on - 1/4 turn steel fasteners for underneath, and plastic ones on the arch liners.

The steel 1/4 turns are 8D0 805 121 'Grip pin'
They are held to the tray by 4A0 805 137 'Rubber washer'
The clips they go in to are 8D0 805 960 'snap nut'

I think there are six these in total, but mine is in bits still so not 100% on that. I know there are two on the little brackets which hang off the front panel, and two at the back of the tray. Most other models also have some at the edges of the front panel but Etka isn't clear on that.

The plastic ones are 4A0 805 121A 'grip pin'
Held in place by 4A0 805 137A 'lock washer'
Clip in to 4A0 805 163 'clip'

Four sets of these, two in each wheel arch.

:)

HPsauce
5th May 2016, 04:16 PM
The plastic ones are 4A0 805 121A 'grip pin'
Held in place by 4A0 805 137A 'lock washer'
Clip in to 4A0 805 163 'clip'

Four sets of these, two in each wheel arch.

:)

Ah, thanks a lot, those are the ones I couldn't identify at all, currently using cable ties!. +++

There's also a fixing missing on the arch liner itself a few inches above that, any idea what that is?

steamship
5th May 2016, 04:26 PM
Here are the eBay numbers for the ones I bought.

Plastic ones - 171655323682 - £2.99 for 10 pairs
Metal ones - 221683540588 - £5.19 for 5 pairs

HPsauce
5th May 2016, 04:34 PM
Cheers Sean, just the ticket. :cool: Ordered both. +++

MikkiJayne
5th May 2016, 04:57 PM
Ah, thanks a lot, those are the ones I couldn't identify at all, currently using cable ties!. +++

There's also a fixing missing on the arch liner itself a few inches above that, any idea what that is?

Thats a plastic rivet - 4D0807300. 81p each.

Good prices on those ebay listings - the plastic ones are £2 odd for each piece.

Oh, and I just checked - there are only four of the metal ones. Two at the front, two at the back, and then two of each plastic one at each side. The one instance I've found so far of a D2 being simpler than B5 or C5 :rolleyes:

HPsauce
5th May 2016, 05:16 PM
Thats a plastic rivet - N101 312 03. 81p each.Cheers, I've got a selection of similar trim fixings so one of those will probably fit, if not I'll get some from the local VAG dealer parts department next time I pass. :cool:

steamship
6th May 2016, 10:43 AM
Thats a plastic rivet - N101 312 03. 81p each.

I've a few of these missing, but didn't know what they were called. Just looked on eBay and came across this item number - 351433052422

They have a large selection of fittings, but would I be right in saying that the correct one that Andrew is looking for (and me) would be the 'Push Rivet 8mm (63)'?

10 for £2.99, and since they break when you try to remove them, it's handy having a few spares.

MikkiJayne
6th May 2016, 11:30 AM
They are closest to 'Push Rivet 8mm (33)' I think. I'd need to check the size though.

I think I have the part number wrong though as Google comes up with an upper control arm bolt which I also have on the same invoice. I'll verify this evening and also measure the rivets I have :)

HPsauce
6th May 2016, 12:47 PM
Cheers, I've got a selection of similar trim fixings so one of those will probably fitAnd they did. +++ I had a look at the head of one that wasn't missing and found a similar-looking one in my stock.
It's like a mix of #40 and#63 so either would probably work. #33 seems too long.
It worked fine for the wheel arch liner. :cool:

Architex_mA8tey
6th May 2016, 01:11 PM
I've stickied this thread now as a useful reference resource thanks everyone +++

HPsauce
6th May 2016, 01:19 PM
Worth noting, as eBay listings are rather "ephemeral" to say the least that the items referenced above are listed as "Audi trim clips".
This is the sellers shop front: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Car-Workshop-consumables and as they have sold nearly half a million items I guess should be around a while.

MikkiJayne
6th May 2016, 01:55 PM
The correct part number for the rivets is 4D0807300 :)

HPsauce
6th May 2016, 02:45 PM
Those look identical to what I used - no idea where I got them though.
Picture from ECP:

HPsauce
7th May 2016, 05:00 PM
Interesting, today I decided to look at the undertray having sorted out the wheel arch liner the other day.

It looks like the main fixings are secure, nothing moving in the centre, though I can't get underneath to check in detail.
It also appears that the rear of the bumper has been fixed (screws?) across the centre to the front of the undertray. So that is secure if not "correct", anyone know what that "should" be?

But the connection at the bottom of the wheel arches (two each side) has just been lashed with cable ties and is pretty loose! :tuttut:

Groping around I could feel some sort of retaining clip, but not as large as the ones I ordered as specified above, so I cut the cable ties and had a closer look.
Extracting one of the retainers it was clear it had been broken at some time in the past, so could not do its job as intended - the section that the pin locates in and locks by turning was missing!
But it does confirm that we have identified the correct parts. +++

So tomorrow I'll have a go at fitting it all together properly with the correct fasteners. :cool:
See photo which shows the new pin and clip with the old (part-missing) clip alongside.

steamship
7th May 2016, 07:50 PM
It also appears that the rear of the bumper has been fixed (screws?) across the centre to the front of the undertray. So that is secure if not "correct", anyone know what that "should" be?

The front of my undertray is free floating, having nothing holding it in place, other than being on top of the lower bumper panel. Going by the size of the holes, I think it should be secured with the same type (plastic) as the ones in your photo.

HPsauce
7th May 2016, 08:20 PM
Well I'll have whatever I don't use with me when we tour Ireland in June......

MikkiJayne
7th May 2016, 08:57 PM
The front of my undertray is free floating, having nothing holding it in place, other than being on top of the lower bumper panel. Going by the size of the holes, I think it should be secured with the same type (plastic) as the ones in your photo.

I've been wondering about this today. It looks like the undertray should have another five of those plastic 1/4 turn fasteners at the front of it. The tray has slots for the receptacles to sit in, and the bumper has matching holes. So in total it has 9 of the plastic ones, and 4 metal ones.

HPsauce
7th May 2016, 09:22 PM
I'm pretty sure I ripped that connection apart on a kerb (on this S8 and the previous one), so the garage screwing it together closely makes sense, there's not much hanging down now to catch next time.
But that's probably why there are 10 connectors in a pack.

HPsauce
8th May 2016, 11:53 AM
Job done, though it's a pig to fit those little retainers as they have to be inserted from behind and squeezed to pop through the rectangular (near-square) hole.

Sod-all access, tough plastic popping back and crushing fingers, but makeshift tools and various spiky metal things helped get it done in a few minutes. Had to swing the steering from side to side a couple of times to improve access, but generally its easier with the wheel pointing in on the side you're fixing, which may seem illogical. The wheel out actually gets in the way of your arms which need to get into some strange positions.

For reference the holes in the undertray for the wheel-arch connection are "vertical" rectangles so the clips have to be squeezed sideways to insert from the back.
The retaining pins/pegs are then inserted with the slot horizontal and turned 90 degrees clockwise to lock with the slot vertical.
I found it best to insert the retainers at an angle so that the "ledge" on one side was caught then push from behind and squeeze against the other side until it popped in. Which side first depended on where and how you get access to squeeze, it was much easier on the inboard ones. And the nearside outboard one was the worst, I think there's just more "stuff" behind the wheel arch liner limiting access and movement.

Obviously the "correct" way is to have the car on a lift and fit all the retaining clips while the undertray is off the vehicle. Then fit the main metal supporting retainers and finally the plastic connectors at the edges.

I currently have 6 spare pins and 7 spare clips. And no intention of investigating the (currently screwed) front edge connection to the bumper.

HPsauce
8th May 2016, 06:51 PM
Just a couple of pictures:
Nearside showing the OEM wheel arch liner pin (I replace the missing offside one) and the new outer undertray connector.
Offside showing both new inner (dark!) and outer undertray connectors at the front bottom of the wheel arch.

steamship
8th May 2016, 11:28 PM
Just a couple of pictures:
Nearside showing the OEM wheel arch liner pin (I replace the missing offside one) and the new outer undertray connector.

That's the ones I'm missing from various locations on the car. Just as well I ordered up 20 of them.