PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cap rubber strap

HPsauce
2nd June 2016, 07:22 PM
Like I suspect many others the rubber "string" that stops the fuel cap falling away has broken on my car.
Does anyone know if this can be acquired separately, it's very easy to replace?

For those that don't know you just push out two small plastic pins (visible when you look closely) to release it from the fuel cap, the other end just clips over the head of the retaining screw/fixing.

I've seen someone online just replace it with nylon "string" but that not exactly OEM. :tuttut:

I know you can live without it, but it just annoys me that it's non-functional. :(

moltuae
2nd June 2016, 08:12 PM
I temporarily repaired mine when it broke a few years ago, with some black wire and heatshrink sleeving. I wasn't happy with the repair though so eventually I just bought a brand new cap (complete with rubber string). Can't remember how much it was, but I don't think it was too expensive.

moltuae
2nd June 2016, 08:19 PM
After a bit of searching, I found when and where I bought if from, but still not sure what it cost ...

I bought it from Stoke Audi Parts: http://www.stokeaudi-parts.co.uk (in November 2014)

In my email to them, I asked for a price for these two items:

1) Fuel cap (including rubber cord). Number marked on the part is: 1J0 201 553 AD

2) Alarm/siren. Number marked on the part is: 8L0 951 60

The quote was £160.68 inc.vat and delivery. So, deduct whatever a siren normally costs and the rest is the cost of delivery and the new fuel cap.

tintin
3rd June 2016, 12:23 AM
Coloured pasta and superglue ;)

paulrstaylor
3rd June 2016, 08:20 AM
This looks worth a go......

http://www.micksgarage.com/ProdDetails.aspx?pid=1446688

moltuae
3rd June 2016, 08:22 AM
While we're interested to know what you had for your dinner Stephen, do you have any suggestions regarding the rubber cord?

:ROFL:

Adrian E
3rd June 2016, 08:52 AM
The current part number is 1J0 201 550BF and RRP is £34.36

There's been about 4 iterations over the years - largely down to REACH compliance for the materials in the cap, by the looks of it

Turbo Tony
3rd June 2016, 07:00 PM
I ended up buying a new one. RRP was thirty something, but I managed to talk myself into a small discount.

notorious
4th June 2016, 08:15 AM
The current part number is 1J0 201 550BF and RRP is £34.36

There's been about 4 iterations over the years - largely down to REACH compliance for the materials in the cap, by the looks of it

Full part number with colour code is 1J0 201 550 BF 9B9

Is it easy to change? Mine is still alive, but wanted to change preventively.