PDA

View Full Version : Removing rubbing strips from the wings

MikkiJayne
20th September 2016, 08:40 PM
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing these two trim pieces from front and rear wings please? Elsawin is not particularly descriptive ("unclip from bracket") but I don't want to break anything just levering them off!

http://www.corradov8.com/pics/s8/trim.jpg

tonupkid
20th September 2016, 08:57 PM
IIRC they slide off, horizontally, in the direction of thier respective doors

HPsauce
20th September 2016, 09:10 PM
Hmm, I think they are simpler than that.
I once lost one of the front ones when I hit (at fairly high speed) a deep puddle.
Once I'd noticed its absence I worked out how it had gone AWOL and went back to look for it. Found it in a pile of crap at the roadside, cleaned it up and IIRC just pushed it back on over spring clips.
As ever no doubt ELSAWIN will tell all. ;)

Architex_mA8tey
20th September 2016, 09:26 PM
I think the Bentley manual from the states might be more helpful.
By the way I'd love a copy of the Bentley Manual for both D2 and D3 if anyone can help with that? :D

HPsauce
20th September 2016, 10:00 PM
I have the D2 manual on CD, had it for ages, but I'm not giving it away...

tonupkid
20th September 2016, 10:05 PM
Strewth. your four times nearer to HS2 than we are

(swift change of subject, but no less odd)

HPsauce
20th September 2016, 10:20 PM
HS2 will however be in a tunnel here. It was going to be about 50 metres away (and 30 metres down) but the route was revised a while back.

I suspect it will revert back though as the revised route gets very near the surface where our local chalk-stream river feeds the village duck pond. Lots of flak about the likely disturbance to ancient water courses etc.

And by the time it's actually built I'll be pretty old and deaf!

Dezzy
21st September 2016, 08:44 AM
I have the D2 manual on CD, had it for ages, but I'm not giving it away...

Why not?

HPsauce
21st September 2016, 08:52 AM
Because I paid a lot for it, use it for my D2 and it's licensed/protected.
You have to install it on a PC then register and get a validation code from Bentley.

Sadly, due to recent PC changes I don't have it installed at present so can't check what it says about removing those strips.

MikkiJayne
21st September 2016, 09:16 AM
Isn't the Bentley derived from the factory material though? In which case I would doubt it's any more descriptive than Elsawin, which btw has this to say on the subject:

http://www.corradov8.com/pics/s8/rubstrip1.jpg
http://www.corradov8.com/pics/s8/rubstrip2.jpg

I guess just lever them off and hope they don't break...

HPsauce
21st September 2016, 09:21 AM
That looks familiar, so sort of pop them off the clips working from the flat end then unhook where it goes round the bodywork.
I only had to put one back on and it was just a quick press by hand.

tonupkid
21st September 2016, 03:21 PM
And by the time it's actually built I'll be pretty old and deaf!

You missed a comma, from between 'pretty' and 'old' ;)

MikkiJayne
21st September 2016, 03:29 PM
The front one was easy - lever off with a trim tool from the back. Helps if the door strip is already off. Two pins in to rubber grommets.

The rear one less so - tried the same trick and broke the stupid single-use plastic clip which TPS think is NLA :mad: I'm probably going to have to glue the damn thing back on.

I swear the two ends of these cars were designed by completely different teams of sadists who never conferred on anything :tuttut:

The_Laird
21st September 2016, 05:59 PM
You missed a comma, from between 'pretty' and 'old' ;)

No, he didn't. In this case, 'pretty' is being used to describe or quantify 'old' and doesn't require a comma. If he had used one, he'd be describing himself as pretty as well as old and deaf - clearly not the intention! :)

tonupkid
21st September 2016, 07:10 PM
No, he didn't. In this case, 'pretty' is being used to describe or quantify 'old' and doesn't require a comma. If he had used one, he'd be describing himself as pretty as well as old and deaf - clearly not the intention! :)

My bad. I just assumed that Andrew had missed the comma. Understandable error

Dezzy
22nd September 2016, 07:57 AM
Why not?

Because I paid a lot for it, use it for my D2 and it's licensed/protected.
You have to install it on a PC then register and get a validation code from Bentley.

Sadly, due to recent PC changes I don't have it installed at present so can't check what it says about removing those strips.

Ah right, that's the same as "I can't give it away, as I can't get it to work anymore" :snigger:

Isn't the Bentley derived from the factory material though? In which case I would doubt it's any more descriptive than Elsawin, which btw has this to say on the subject:

http://www.corradov8.com/pics/s8/rubstrip1.jpg
http://www.corradov8.com/pics/s8/rubstrip2.jpg

I guess just lever them off and hope they don't break...

I've pulled those little front ones of my PF for repainting the little audi badge and they just pull off, outboard as such no sliding.

HPsauce
22nd September 2016, 08:24 AM
Ah right, that's the same as "I can't give it away, as I can't get it to work anymore" :snigger:Definitely not. :tuttut:
I have just not got round to reinstalling and revalidating it after a recent PC (laptop actually) hardware change and Windows 10 upgrade. :p

VCDS I have reinstalled and that's my last "transfer" I think under the old (inherited from VAGCOM) keyed licence regime. Any further changes and I'll need to upgrade to the hardware-based version, which I don't actually need for a D2.

Dezzy
22nd September 2016, 08:38 AM
Yeah, yeah, it's probably just an age thing Andrew :)

There isn't an I'm fishing smile is there