PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Keyless entry door handle sensor

IT
4th October 2016, 01:03 PM
Like the D3, C6, 4L Q7 and probably others, the keyless entry / lock system seems to fail as a matter of course.

However, Audi have finally recognised this and helped a little by making the electrical parts separate to the cosmetic handle itself.

So, no more painting a whole new handle. Instead, it is now an electrical insert into the original handle, and with a little skill can be swapped in sub 20 mins.

Note, its the same part number (4G8 927 753 B) for all 4 doors, which makes its it even easier. Available from a8parts here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-D4-Door-Handle-Keyless-Entry-Sensor-New-Genuine-4G8927753B-/131959559641?fits=Car+Make%3AAudi&hash=item1eb96715d9:i:131959559641

Firstly, lets assume you've used vagcom to identify the faulty door handle. 9 times out of 10 its the drivers door, as is mine.

Second job, remove the rubber bung that is covering up the screw we need:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14516&stc=1&d=1475584580

Under here is a Torx 20. You need to screw it all the way out until it comes to a stop, anti clockwise.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14517&stc=1&d=1475584580

Now, this gets a bit more interesting. You have to hold the handle out a little way and push the torx screw in. This pushes a mechanism inside the handle that locks the handle in this position. If you get it wrong and the handle doesn't lock out, use a set of needle nose pliers to pull the torx screw out and try again.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14518&stc=1&d=1475584580

At this point, the mechanism that you pushed in to lock the handle ajar, has also released the key part of the handle and it will now come out easily. Take it easy as it has an extension on it for operating the lock:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14519&stc=1&d=1475584580

Locking part out:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14520&stc=1&d=1475584580

Now, the main part of the handle will slide back a few mm and lift out very easily. Feed it carefully out through the front hole noting its shape in the photos below. Disconnect the two cables carefully and it is free.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14521&stc=1&d=1475584580

See below for the inserts. The newer one is visibly cleaner and a different (improved?) design.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14522&stc=1&d=1475584580

Unfortunately, my photos dry up here. Getting the insert out is a fairly straightforward case of unclipping the cables (1 for keyless, 1 for handle illumination if fitted) and then carefully removing the plastic insert from around the handle where the cables come out, and the lighting is.

Looking at the photo above, the insert would pull out to the left, pulling the cable through the length of the handle before emerging.

Refitting is very much the reverse:

After inserting the new sensor into the handle, and securing the cables back into place connect the two cables back up and feed it slowly back into the front most hole in the door where it came from. Insert the rear part of the handle in, and slide the whole handle forward a couple of mm again so it is back in place. Remember that it is still locked out ajar so shouldn't sit flush at this stage.

Carefully offer the key lock part of the handle back in, ensuring the locking pin engages. This should be sat flush.

Screw clockwise the Torx 20 bolt back in until it stops. This will secure the keylock and release the main handle to sit flush with the door again.

Test the door lock works before shutting the door, just in case ;)

When all looking good, pop the rubber grommet back on, shut the door and lock it keylessly. Stand back and smile smugly.

Probably worth clearing any error codes in vagcom too, but won't stop it working +++

Johnmed
5th October 2016, 10:45 PM
Nice work Ian. Always great to do a job when you've seen how it's been done prior.

My NSR is inoperative (D3) and I just live with it. At least with the D4 the process seems a whole lot simpler and logical.

Joe2.0E
6th October 2016, 07:10 PM
Great write up, I'm sure we'll all get to use it at some point if they fail as often as the type fitted to the D3's. The part seems pricey though at £119.

IT
7th October 2016, 07:40 AM
The part seems pricey though at £119.

Seems like a bargain to me. For a new D3 handle, painted and fitted you were looking at the best part of £300...... +++

mondie
7th October 2016, 03:43 PM
Thanks, this is a fantastic post. Our D4's drivers door sensor has failed too, now I just need to decide if I have the nads to tackle this job myself :)

mondie
4th December 2016, 02:08 PM
Anybody know if I can buy one of these OEM sensor replacements and install it myself without needing to reset the ECU?

Thanks Simon

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-Exterior-Door-Handle-Bar-Sensor-4G8927753-Fit-for-AUDI-A1-A4-A5-A6-A6L-HOT/201515385102?_trksid=p2055119.c100022.m2048&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D37313%26meid%3D97c0f896fc524511b7d50c586c5d d130%26pid%3D100022%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D1319 59559641

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exterior-Door-Handle-Sensor-Pin-Switch-4G8927753-for-Audi-A4-A5-A6-A7-A8-Q5-New/162116570881?_trksid=p2055119.c100022.m2048&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D37313%26meid%3D97c0f896fc524511b7d50c586c5d d130%26pid%3D100022%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D1319 59559641

Adrian E
4th December 2016, 07:51 PM
As long as they're the right part number then no problem - they're clearly straight from the Chinese factory at that price, but if they're all marked up with Audi logos on arrival then almost certainly the same thing minus the box! Plenty of people use them OK.

No coding involved to fit - IT just suggesting clearing any hangover logged faults from a dead sensor

IT
4th December 2016, 08:32 PM
In my case, the keyless didn't operate again until I cleared the faults from the memory.

If you replace the handle, there may be a very small chance it might right itself, but its rather unsatisfying to wait on the off chance +++

mondie
9th December 2016, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the confirmation, I will go ahead and order one and try my luck.

Cheers

paulrstaylor
3rd January 2017, 12:40 PM
How did you get on with this Mondie?

I've ordered two form China last week - not much risk at £9 each but still keeping fingers crossed +++

mondie
3rd January 2017, 09:10 PM
The part arrived last week Paul, it all looks legit but have not had it fitted yet.

paulrstaylor
3rd January 2017, 10:02 PM
Will be good to hear how you get on as mine is literally on the slow boat from China :ROFL:

HPsauce
3rd January 2017, 10:12 PM
mine is literally on the slow boat from China :ROFL:

Might be on the medium-speed train... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38497997 .... to Barking! ;)

paulrstaylor
3rd January 2017, 10:52 PM
Impressive...... I can but hope +++

Mechcanico Lee
5th January 2017, 02:17 PM
The d4 handles are a lot easier than the d3s to get out for sure +++

paulrstaylor
14th January 2017, 02:57 PM
I completed this today on the front passenger door of my car using the park linked on ebay earlier (slightly faster train from China I guess?), all working but took a lot longer than expected due to a screw dropping inside the door.

In the instructions from IT it stated

Now, this gets a bit more interesting. You have to hold the handle out a little way and push the torx screw in.

ETKA is slightly different (when I checked after the event)

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15412&d=1484409046

The TORX screw is a screw in a splined insert that is a friction fit into the plastic holder "part 3", so pushing on it has the effect of moving the plastic holder, unless you push a bit hard when the friction fit fails and you are left with a screw in the bottom of the door.

Door card off, speaker removed, fortunately the screw was steel in an aluminium door so 20 mins of blindly fishing with a magnet and it was found.

Also seems that I do have the handle lights installed, but they must have all failed (I assumed that they were not fitted) - going to order four of those from China I think :D

Still cant complain, keyless locking fixed for less than a tenner +++

mondie
16th January 2017, 12:17 PM
Great to know thank you Paul, at a little over £10 for the part its a cheap fix thats for sure. +++

mondie
24th April 2017, 05:24 PM
Had my local garage fit the new sensor today since the car was there to have the winter tyres swapped over (while it was snowing outside :-()

Anyway, with a bit of fiddling around he got the sensor changed over and working but by the time it got home it had stopped working. Frustrating and no idea what to do now.

paulrstaylor
24th April 2017, 06:12 PM
Odd, I have done two on my car - both working flawlessly - have you got VCDS?

mondie
26th April 2017, 06:33 PM
No i dont Paul but the mechanic does, I will have the car back to him by the end of the week and will get him to check into it. He did go into VCDS after he replaced the sensor so its all a bit strange.

paulrstaylor
26th April 2017, 06:35 PM
It could be that the codes just need clearing, a bad connection, a faulty part - or possibly most likely if my experience rings true, another one is faulty now! I did all four in the end +++

mondie
7th May 2017, 04:42 PM
I will let you know Paul once I get it back to the garage, dnot know when that may be right now.

Cheers

manca
6th October 2017, 02:39 PM
Hmmm thought I would give this a go today as I have a fault on both nearside locks. Only have one sensor at the moment with a couple more on their way from the far east. Thought I'd start with the front door as the rear is further recessed so would be better when I knew what I was doing. Undid the torx screw as far as it would go but I can't get the door handle to lock open. I get it into the position as shown in Ian's picture but the slightest touch and the handle closes which clearly isn't correct. Curses...curses

manca
14th October 2017, 02:53 PM
Hmmm thought I would give this a go today as I have a fault on both nearside locks. Only have one sensor at the moment with a couple more on their way from the far east. Thought I'd start with the front door as the rear is further recessed so would be better when I knew what I was doing. Undid the torx screw as far as it would go but I can't get the door handle to lock open. I get it into the position as shown in Ian's picture but the slightest touch and the handle closes which clearly isn't correct. Curses...curses
Admitted defeat. Third attempt today but can't get the passengers front door handle to 'lock' in the correct position. I have faults on both nearside doors so will find somewhere localish who can swap these out for me when I have a couple of days off next month....disappointed as it looked so straight forward and I miss advanced key.... heyho

Adrian E
14th October 2017, 03:58 PM
I’ve done 2 now on my Sportback if you want a hand? It’s a fiddle and not intuitive at first look - I used string round the handle to get it located properly on 1st go but for 2nd I used Ian’s method successfully

manca
15th October 2017, 01:15 PM
I’ve done 2 now on my Sportback if you want a hand? It’s a fiddle and not intuitive at first look - I used string round the handle to get it located properly on 1st go but for 2nd I used Ian’s method successfully
That's very generous Adrian, I'm sorely tempted if only to find out what I'm doing wrong.

mafi0s0
8th September 2020, 03:27 PM
Hello,

I was going to replace the keyless entry door handle sensor, but some problems occurred.
- First I removed the rubber grommet and unscrew the Torx 20 until it came to a stop.
- Then I held the handle a little way up, and gave the Torx 20 a firm press to release the key part of the handle. Handle locked up and I think I did it right.
- After that I tried to remove the key part of the handle, but it did not come out.
- Then I thought that maybe the handle was not locked properly earlier and I decided to start again from point zero and screwed the Torx 20 clockwise in the starting position.
- I repeated same steps couple times and got the handle locked up. Still the key part of the handle did not come out.
- I was going to repeat steps once again, but noticed that the Torx 20 was loose and I was not able to screw or unscrew it. It looks like that it's just lies in the little chamber freely as you can see in the picture enclosed.

Have anyone faced this kind of problem and how to solve it? I tried to pull Torx 20 backwards with pliers but it did not help.
The door still opens and closes fine, so I suppose that the handle mechanism is still in the correct position.

Thanks in advance.

paulrstaylor
8th September 2020, 07:00 PM
Be careful, if it doesn't lock in properly and you back the screw in and out, it can come loose and end up dropping into the door, which is a massive pain to get back out..... I spent about two hours stripping the door card and fishing with a magnet :-(

Sadly, I can't offer much advice as to how to get the handle off, three of mine were as per the instructions, one was a pain and I still to this day am not 100% sure how it came out :ROFL:

mafi0s0
9th September 2020, 04:57 PM
Thanks for your kind reply.

Should there be some kind of additional part for the torx screw, outside of the plastic part? Maybe I have dropped it already and did not notice it.

Is there any guide how to disassemble the door card?

steamship
10th September 2020, 10:35 AM
Thanks for your kind reply.

Should there be some kind of additional part for the torx screw, outside of the plastic part? Maybe I have dropped it already and did not notice it.

Is there any guide how to disassemble the door card?

Check out the following thread. It's quite long but the door card removal is right at the start.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?p=151305

tc4332
10th September 2020, 03:34 PM
Check out the following thread. It's quite long but the door card removal is right at the start.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?p=151305

Sean is becoming the book part of our MJ

nickmason
19th February 2021, 08:08 AM
Hello,

I was going to replace the keyless entry door handle sensor, but some problems occurred.
- First I removed the rubber grommet and unscrew the Torx 20 until it came to a stop.
- Then I held the handle a little way up, and gave the Torx 20 a firm press to release the key part of the handle. Handle locked up and I think I did it right.
- After that I tried to remove the key part of the handle, but it did not come out.
- Then I thought that maybe the handle was not locked properly earlier and I decided to start again from point zero and screwed the Torx 20 clockwise in the starting position.
- I repeated same steps couple times and got the handle locked up. Still the key part of the handle did not come out.
- I was going to repeat steps once again, but noticed that the Torx 20 was loose and I was not able to screw or unscrew it. It looks like that it's just lies in the little chamber freely as you can see in the picture enclosed.

Have anyone faced this kind of problem and how to solve it? I tried to pull Torx 20 backwards with pliers but it did not help.
The door still opens and closes fine, so I suppose that the handle mechanism is still in the correct position.

Thanks in advance.

I've run in to the exact same problem - torx screw is just flopping about. Can't get it to either tighten or undo. Door opens, closes and locks fine.
Did you ever get this resolved??

I did the front doors fine in no time at all.
Point for others to watch for - I saw some slight green corrosion on one of the contacts in the socket. Cleaned with GT85 and a pin!

Keyless all working again.

Just need to resolve the spinning torx in the rear door - help!! Please!!

nickmason
23rd February 2021, 03:58 PM
I managed to re-engague the torx. The key (sorry about the pun) was holding the handle out in the fully open position (used a fibre cloth) in order to get the alignment right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMglDa-dWxM

mafi0s0
12th June 2021, 12:19 PM
I managed to re-engague the torx. The key (sorry about the pun) was holding the handle out in the fully open position (used a fibre cloth) in order to get the alignment right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMglDa-dWxM

Sorry for my late response. I ended up to get my car to dealership where they replaced the sensor. They also faced some problems and it took almost 3 hours to get the job done.

It's great that you found the solution to this problem. I think that I should have been trying to re-engage the torx similar way as you did. Hopefully your video helps others when struggling with the rear door torx screw.

Last month my front right door sensor got broken and keyless entry was not working anymore. I replaced it according the instructions in this thread and now it's working again. I had to use a thin steel wire (fishing line would also work) to pull the door opening mechanism behind the counterpart of the handle when putting it back into its place. After that the refitting was easy. Still I think that the front door sensor is a bit easier to replace than rear door sensor.:)