PDA

View Full Version : Cracking tyres. Literally.

Johnmed
21st May 2018, 04:23 PM
Anyone ever had this? First time for me. Date code is 2516, had them on since last September. Goodyear Eagles. Having them replaced under warranty (Mytyres) as I type.

Not seen rubber crack like that since my old BMX.

tintin
21st May 2018, 05:09 PM
Anyone ever had this? First time for me. Date code is 2516, had them on since last September. Goodyear Eagles. Having them replaced under warranty (Mytyres) as I type.

Not seen rubber crack like that since my old BMX.

Nope, but now I'll have to go and check mine :-( They're in my garage and not used atm, 'cos I think the lateral traction on them is v. poor, but i'll still need to check them now :o. They're also 2016, I think...

ainarssems
21st May 2018, 05:40 PM
Yes, my F1 Eagles are like that and have been for a year or 2. 2 manufactured 2012, 2 in 2013. But it's only the tread cracked not the carcass so I have not been worried about that, I am more upset about the lack of grip.

tc4332
21st May 2018, 06:19 PM
I did a four day tour in Snowdonia, across the river from George III last weekend, stayed in Barmouth. Took them to most of the preserved railways, really good for me. Just meant I had to drive a tri-axle through the lanes.
Before I left home I checked my tyres.
Fronts Continentals, 1 year old, looking good
Rears, Dunlops Super Sports, 4 years old, both close to the bone.
Collared my tyre man this morning and the prices have rocketed. Four years back the Dunlops cost me £160 each. Last year the Continentals cost my boss at the time £180 each.
Today,

Dunlop £205 each
Pirelli £210 each
Bridgestone £220 each
I'm going to try the Pirelli, put them on the front and move the Contis to the rear. I always believe that when not replacing all four; put the newer ones up front.
Tyre size is 275/35 ZR 20 (102Y) Extra Load

Joe2.0E
21st May 2018, 07:21 PM
You may be better off buying them online, all of those brands are around £150 to £175 each delivered to your door.

tintin
21st May 2018, 07:51 PM
Just checked - there's no signs of cracks in the one of four tyres that I can see, as the other three are wrapped in cellophane.

Johnmed
21st May 2018, 08:24 PM
Wonder what is causing it? Have the same tyres on the rear (different supplier), no cracks.

briang9
21st May 2018, 11:30 PM
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/summer/t=1/car/p=3/bridgestone,dunlop,pirelli/r=1/275-35-r20#&&_wEXDgUOcGNrX1RyTFNTc25JZHMFATEFFXBja19Mc3RTU29ydF BhcmFtZXRlcgUCMTAFCnBja19UckxTUEYFAzE1OAUVcGNrX1Ry TFNTb3J0RGlyZWN0aW9uBQExBQlwY2tfVHJMU1IFA-KUpAUHcGNrX0lQUAUCMjQFCXBja19UcjQ4aAUD4pSkBQpwY2tf VHJMU1BUBQMyNDcFDXBja19UckxTVlRJZHMFATQFC3Bja19Uck xTUk9GBQPilKQFB3Bja19DUGcFATEFDHBja19UckxTU0lkcwUD NTIxBQpwY2tfVHJMU1NMBQIzMQUMcGNrX1RyTFNQSWRzBQwyM-KUrDI54pSsNDWTo1O1uzfzWbSaFFUucxaaFwndFw==

local fitter here charges £10 a tyre to fit+++

Dezzy
22nd May 2018, 07:25 AM
I did a four day tour in Snowdonia, across the river from George III last weekend, stayed in Barmouth. Took them to most of the preserved railways, really good for me. Just meant I had to drive a tri-axle through the lanes.
Before I left home I checked my tyres.
Fronts Continentals, 1 year old, looking good
Rears, Dunlops Super Sports, 4 years old, both close to the bone.
Collared my tyre man this morning and the prices have rocketed. Four years back the Dunlops cost me £160 each. Last year the Continentals cost my boss at the time £180 each.
Today,

Dunlop £205 each
Pirelli £210 each
Bridgestone £220 each
I'm going to try the Pirelli, put them on the front and move the Contis to the rear. I always believe that when not replacing all four; put the newer ones up front.
Tyre size is 275/35 ZR 20 (102Y) Extra Load

:Confused: the tri axle is on a 20in rim? I thought it would be 22.5 or it was when I was tyre fitting on all that big rubbish, coaches are the worst, they're rubbish :)

tc4332
22nd May 2018, 08:12 AM
:Confused: the tri axle is on a 20in rim? I thought it would be 22.5 or it was when I was tyre fitting on all that big rubbish, coaches are the worst, they're rubbish :)

Sorry Dezzy, the 20 inch are for the 8, the coach ones a little bit bigger!!!!

Thanks Brian & Joe.
My fault with everything going on here I did not think straight and just went with a bloke I've been using for years. Now I know better.

tintin
22nd May 2018, 08:20 AM
Thanks Brian & Joe.
My fault with everything going on here I did not think straight and just went with a bloke I've been using for years. Now I know better.

There's always the option of DM Tyres Ray, if you're interested...;)

tc4332
22nd May 2018, 08:31 AM
Sorry All,
Gwen's having a few bad days and it's throwing me of balance.

ainarssems
22nd May 2018, 03:30 PM
If I bought mine new and they cracked within year or 2 I would not be happy and would ask for replacement or refund, with second hand tyres there is not much you can do.

I never considered that safety issue, I have passed MOT several times on different cars at different MOT places with similarly cracked tyres and it does not even show as advisory.

roberto
24th May 2018, 02:22 AM
dont get me started on expensive tyres
been using these for 10 years never had any issues ever and never a crack
so thats why i never pay what i think is daft money for rubber

www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/summer/t=1/car/p=1/accelera/r=1/275-35-r20

Johnmed
24th May 2018, 12:14 PM

If they did them in 19s I think I’d consider a set Robert. Know you’ve been a fan of them for a while.

tc4332
24th May 2018, 04:57 PM
Now I am upset.
I've been paying these stupidly high prices and now I see a cheaper way, maybe.
What sort of wear and ride do you get Ropberto?
I have a tyre fitter some ten minutes away that is listed on this site.
Am I mistaken or did I really read that bit that said "free fitting"?

I remember some six years back this tyre fitter sold & fitted two tyres for me at £36 each. I arranged to return the following week for two more at the same price but the bloke was on holiday. His father was running the show and he did not look happy, muttered all the time about the price.

H-M3
24th May 2018, 11:39 PM
https://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s327p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_19_inch_R19_inch_-_255_40_19_255_40R19

ainarssems
26th May 2018, 10:07 AM

I will need to replace my tyres soon as the Good Years I have now are wearing out very fast now that I am driving S8 more as A6 is off road and as they have lost grip they are sliding around a lot more causing more wear. Fronts have probably gone from 3mm to 2mm in couple of weeks so I need to swap front to rear to get some more life out of them but I do not see them last to end of summer.

My experience with budget tyre has been somewhat limited but generally dry grip has been OK, wet grip very good in most cases but they always seemed to wear out very fast.

So would like some more feedback from Roberto about his recommended tyres, in 245/40R19 they are £54 so about the same price as second hand set of premium tyres. Goodyears have been very poor for me, low grip and lasted for less than 6k miles. I was gong to get a set of second hand Michelins next as they have provided excellent grip for me before and seem to last very well - 20k going from 7.5 to 3mm

So how hard do you drive Roberto as I find myself on the limit of grip most of time in turns and roundabouts, how long does Accelera tyres last for you in terms of years and miles.

roberto
1st June 2018, 09:49 PM
i do drive hard sometimes
years and mileage i cant say on the 8
but on all my other vehicles all i can say is they are excellent value

like i say i have been using them for years and i change my vehicles a lot or have done
255 40 19 are about £60 each

for the money you wont get michelin use
but dont forget you can buy 4 tyres for the price of 1
also i would never buy part worn tyres you just dont know the history of use