PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper removal tool

Oli18
10th January 2010, 09:51 PM
Hi,

I'll be removing the front bumper next weekend to replace a parking sensor.

Just wanted to check if this is the tool I need?

Hexagon Allen Key (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hexagon-Allen-Key-Wrench-Tee-Handle-10mm-Flat-Ended_W0QQitemZ160387550913QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_B OI_Industrial_Tools_Construction_Tools_ET?hash=ite m2557d7cec1)

Thanks,

Oli

Conan_the_Librarian
10th January 2010, 09:55 PM
Not required. Any Allen socket (8 or 10mm) on an extension bar with a 3/8 drive will have it off in a Jiffy.

thebluewhale
11th January 2010, 06:11 PM
Unless it's my car :D

The car is in the bodyshop being repaired today, except they can't get the front bumper off.

Two guys bouncing on a wrecking bar trying to remove a seized bolt. :(

Would've loved to have got a pic of that :D

sutherland
18th January 2010, 11:35 AM
Can anyone point me to instructions for removing the front bumper (02 car)? I'm sure I saw some somewhere, but now cannot find them.

My wife got the front bumper caught on a kerb and nearly ripped if off when she reversed, so I want to take it off and fix anything that's broken. It's created a gap under the headlights and at the wing. What might I expect to find? Will it just be a cause of straightening up some brackets or might I need to replace something?

Thanks.

Conan_the_Librarian
18th January 2010, 12:38 PM
Here's an exploded view of your bumper.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=664&d=1263821628

Remove the bolts (35), there are 2 x M12, and ease the ends of the bumper off of the inner wheel arches. The bumper will now slide forward and off. Careful as you do as you need to disconnect the fog lights and parking sensors first.

I doubt that you will have damaged the front crash bar (3) or the front impact shock absorbers (26). What's most likely happen is that the fasteners that secure the upper and lower bumper to the front crash bar (22) have ripped out. They are only plastic.

This should set you on your way. :)

sutherland
18th January 2010, 12:57 PM
That's helpful. Thank you. I take it that to get to the bolts (35) I really need a ramp and to remove the undertray?

PsYcHe
18th January 2010, 01:41 PM
A ramp would be better, but it could be done with a couple of axle stands.

You may need to undo some clips in the front wheel well that holds the liner to the bumper.

Conan_the_Librarian
18th January 2010, 05:56 PM
A ramp would be better, but it could be done with a couple of axle stands.

You may need to undo some clips in the front wheel well that holds the liner to the bumper.

Ooops forgot the undertray. 2 x clips on each wheel arch and 4 at the front.

sutherland
19th January 2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks again. I take it would be a good idea to have some of the clips (22) to hand before dismantling? And does the bumper actually have to be removed to get to these clips?

Conan_the_Librarian
19th January 2010, 05:42 PM
Take it off first as there are about 22 clips and there are a few shillings each so you don't want to buy to many. Should take 24 hours for Audi to get them.