PDA

View Full Version : Hello all! This is my first communication.

hoskins
14th January 2010, 10:19 AM
Hi guys,

Firstly I would like to say that its an an absolute honour to be part of a community with so many A8 enthusiasts, reading the posts/threads-It sure looks like someone out there can give me suggestions for my dilemna.
I have a lovely 2000 (X) 4.2L quattro with 155k on it, she'd been standing around for a while and when I finally decided to use her, I discovered that the torque converter (so it seems) has gone - Having spoken to a few transmission people, they all suggest that because of the mileage, its best to change the box as well,as its probably had it - This will cost at least £1800. I then called A8 Parts (saviours of our kind!!!) to try and locate a 2ndhand box, unfortunately they dont have one at the minute - My cars codes are AQF EUS FBE - Please can someone possibly advise me on what I can do?
Does safety mode actually prevent serious damage to the box, or it time to bite the bullet?:Confused:

IT
14th January 2010, 10:31 AM
(Post moved to most appropriate area)

Hi there, welcome to the forum, and it is sad news about your car....

Having them stood doesnt normally cause the torque convertor to fail, its more likely to gather condensation or water in the ECU's which can have all sorts of effects - BUT - At 155000 miles the gearbox would be on its last legs, so to that effect the transmissions guys you're speaking to will be spot on, so either way the box will likely need to be rebuilt.

A 2000 car (long wheel base?) is sadly not worth megabux as you know, so unless the rest of the car is pretty spot on, you might find it an unwise investment to put 2K into her to get the tranny going. Having said that, its worth < £1000 as a breaker so you're going to lose money either way unfortunately.

'Limp mode' is a last ditch attempt by the gearbox ECU to throw the box into 3rd so that it will at least move under its own steam to the nearest garage to get attention. Its not designed for every day use.

Sometimes Limp mode comes and goes, but thats still not a good sign and the box is almost certainly going to die altogether soon.

Not good news I know, but you did ask.....

If you want more opinions about whether to save or sacrifice post up some photos / specs and we'll all chip in I'm sure...

hoskins
14th January 2010, 01:08 PM
Need to ponder on it for a bit-she's a beautiful car:love: and has all the bells and whistles already owes me loads,too good to be true.....Decisions,decisions-Is there any serious implications fitting a different type 4.2 5 spd gearbox in it? Suppose all the electrices will need recalibrating though.:-(

Conan_the_Librarian
16th January 2010, 08:51 AM
Hi Hoskins and welcome to the forum.

On the subject of transmissions, you should get a fault code reading done and see what it says. The damp Ian mentions in the ECU/TCU housing could be a factor so having a look would be a good start.

Do you have VagCom? (see the transmissions sticky for more info)

Swapping transmissions is a possiblity. If you can't find the right code transmission another transmission with a different code could do, but you will probably have to swap the rear final drive as well and maybe even the TCU.

Give Ben at AV Performance (http://www.avperformance.co.uk/) a ring. He is a preferred supplier to the A8oc and writes for and advertises in Audi Driver. He is THE Guru on maintaining these cars.

As for spending money on these beauties if there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the rest of the car and you look at it in 'Total Cost of Ownership' terms then £1800 on a transmission that will last you another 150k is not that big an investment. You could buy a brand new Ford!!!!!!
Sorry, only joking! :)

I have heard of the 4.2 doing 400K :eek2:, and stand fast the electrics everything else is at competent mechanic DIY level.

hoskins
17th January 2010, 02:53 PM
+++I'll give it a shot during the week - Your not far off about the Ford bit buddy!
Its the D2 I've always wanted and want to enjoy her to the full, I've already thrown good money away on her, but then again - Done the same with the missus and she still gives me trouble!

Thanks for your response, I'll try and get some pics posted as soon as she's washed, waxed & Valeted. The Car,not the wife!:ROFL:

Regards,Hoskins.