PDA

View Full Version : Alternator on 97 4.2 quattro

Fraz
2nd February 2010, 10:28 AM
Hi battery went flat on car so replaced with a new battery - car started first time. Left overnight and it was flat as a pancake in the morning.

Jump started the car and drove 5 miles to local garage. Garage has diagnosed as alternator - the 120 alternator which was on the car. I assumed that as the car is the 4.2 model the alternator would be the larger 150? anyone know for certain?

Also if the alternator is knackered - is it right that I could jump start and run the car without it cutting out on way to garage? i assumed it would have cut out if the alternator was shot?

any advice greatly appreciated. Regards Fraz

entwisi
3rd February 2010, 09:58 AM
depends on how much charge is in teh battery, when my alternator went whislt setting off from work I managed 35 miles before it went critical on me and started shutting everything down. luckily for me I was 1/2 mile from motorway services so managed to limp into them and off teh side of teh M way.

I used www.westlancsautoelectrics.co.uk for a replacement. Be carful though as the standard reference gide listed an incorrect model for mine 97 4.2 QS and they actually ended up completely rebuilding my old one in 3 hours whilst I went shopping in preston centre.

They were a good price as well, I'd highly recommend them.

Fraz
3rd February 2010, 12:35 PM
ok thanks for the pointers - just out of interest what 'power' was your alternator? my mechanic has checked with audi who are saying it's the 120 i need - and it's cheap as chips from GSF £80! So i'm just hoping it's the right one now!!

entwisi
3rd February 2010, 07:37 PM
150 IIRC

was a big heavy sod I'll tell you that! :D