PDA

View Full Version : Audi A8 D4 4.2L FSI V8 retrofits

v8quattro42
24th October 2020, 09:29 PM
Hi Guys

I would like to share in here what I gonna do with my A8 soon
Then I have already few thinks in my mind and also I bought some parts already
Any one want to say something about a retrofits I will do soon it’s more then welcome , also if you have any questions I’m happy to answer as best of my knowledge
Here is a list of equipment I will add soon or later
1. Heated steering wheel included lane assist
2. Adaptive cruise control included image processor and windscreen camera
3. Stalks acc, lane assist , heated steering wheel button
4. Night vision
5. Head-up display unit included dashboard
6. S8 instrument cluster

There also maybe gonna be some more but at this moment it’s enough 🤪

Also I will attaché few photos right now and with a progress of work I will do in future

I hope that’s will be interest task on that forum
All best

H-M3
25th October 2020, 12:35 AM
Damn your not messing about are ya! I will love to do night vision myself. Parts must’ve cost you an arm n leg.+++

v8quattro42
25th October 2020, 03:48 AM
Parts you need is
1. New instrument cluster
2. NV camera
3. NV washing pipe with t-piece
4. NV grill holder
5. NV loom between camera and a NV unit
6. NV unit and installation box
7. Light switch included NV button

All rest is putting new loom correctly, do proper coding and CP remove

H-M3
25th October 2020, 10:47 AM
Can I ask how much the parts set you back? Also please make a video diary of the install for us numpty. If you need some hand let me know as I am East London.

v8quattro42
25th October 2020, 02:45 PM
Yes you can why not🤷🏻*♂️
At this moment I paid around £2k +- and if you gonna watch a eBay price I think that was a good deal , but maybe not for everyone.

If someone did similar retrofit it will know ✌️

H-M3
25th October 2020, 03:18 PM
Please keep list of part numbers etc. Also is that price for all the stuff or just night vision?

v8quattro42
25th October 2020, 04:17 PM
That price was for all parts you can see on photos.

Part numbers I will provide when I gonna install all

I will update once gonna be fit

H-M3
25th October 2020, 04:29 PM
That’s actually good price for all those item! Did you purchase from UK or abroad? Yes please keep us updated.+++

v8quattro42
1st November 2020, 05:07 PM
Today I prepped a space for lpg fuel tank in a boot.
Battery was moved to right side inside a wing.
Here is a few photos

H-M3
1st November 2020, 05:11 PM
Your not messing about are ya! +++ what LPG kit you installing and when do you plan on doing the night vision?

v8quattro42
1st November 2020, 05:40 PM
I’m gonna install a Stag 400Dpi with Hana gold injectors and KME R2 Twin reducer till 395KM should be enough. I did install lpg before then I’m sure all gonna be fine. It’s just my first FSI engine that’s only different.

Night vision need to wait a bit as I don’t have air bag for a new steering wheel and I want to install few thinks together. I’m still looking for a new dashboard with head up display cut out. Not many for sale on eBay.

Should be with me next week, the we will see.

I’m not rush as I don’t have a lot of time right now , just weekend for my own.

H-M3
3rd November 2020, 01:10 AM
+++

IT D3
4th November 2020, 12:43 PM
that's great to see you're modifying the D4 already!!

As there is a few of us very local we should meet up post lockdown.

We can meet up at beckton triangle/retail park or something near there.

Top work on the retrofits.

I'd be interested to know more about the heated steering wheel retrofit and what's needed exactly.

Also, i remember you car the airbox was damaged?? did you fix that?

paulrstaylor
4th November 2020, 01:27 PM
I'd be interested to know more about the heated steering wheel retrofit and what's needed exactly.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12045&highlight=heated

See post 17, hopefully useful +++

IT D3
6th November 2020, 12:12 PM
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12045&highlight=heated

See post 17, hopefully useful +++

Thank you+++

v8quattro42
12th November 2020, 07:26 AM
Hi guys.
Some small update about my work progress

Then on a first line it’s go a head up display as is quite a lot of work
It was not easy to buy a dashboard for hard up display mounting but it was possible and it cost £300 included delivery. (4H1 857 067B)

Head up display and trim I bought like months ago and cost me £280 (4H0 919 617A) and (4H2 868 061A)

Also we need two plastic brackets, I bought them on Audi device and they cost included screws around £26. (4H2 857 745A and 4H2 857 746A)

10pin connector is necessary to connect that unit to a loom, there is two grand wires, two positive wires na two can wires. (1J0 972 930A)

One think what I did not bought it was a steering column bracket because I did some job on my one. Basically standard one don’t have a attachment for head up display brackets. But is easy to make some by yourself. That’s a correct bracket number (4H2 419 250)

After installation you need to code 5f and 19 address by vcds for head up display
And also make some changes on MMI in green menu.

v8quattro42
12th November 2020, 03:14 PM
Dashboard almost finish

H-M3
12th November 2020, 10:48 PM
BRAVO+++ mate incredible. Scary seeing the dash all stripped, clearly you are fluent at this.:respekt:

v8quattro42
13th November 2020, 10:18 AM
Today I was finish some bits about heated steering wheel.
I was add three extra wires what was a signal cable between switch and a steering module. Also 12v supply for a heated steering wheel for a main plug of steering module.

To finish that I coded 08 module for extra option of steering wheel all rest was already coded.

Currently waiting for a steering airbag

v8quattro42
13th November 2020, 04:38 PM
I did check if heating system working fine and also I setup steering temp on 36’ Steering wheel received a new gearshift paddles

H-M3
15th November 2020, 12:21 AM
I like the S8 cluster, is that night vision compatible? Also did you have to adjust the mileage and CP removal?

v8quattro42
15th November 2020, 07:13 AM
That's S8 cluster looks great and yes it’s ACC and night vision compatible. It’s a bit shame that’s Europe version but it was very difficult to find something in uk compatible with both functions.

I did not remove CP yet as I installing acc and a night vision then I will have more units to CP remove.

I did install radars and loom in to the front bumper yesterday. Now is time to make a loom on car side. Bumper it’s very easy to remove I did not expect that.
It’s ready to fit back just waiting for night vision ring bracket. It should come next week together with steering airbag.

Still I have to install LPG the I have very busy 2 weeks, I will try don’t waste this time.

H-M3
15th November 2020, 12:20 PM
Good work fella. If you get the chance then I would give the rear bumper a good clean and then use some spray wax or something to just make it look nice till next time. Turtlewax spray is semi decent and is readily available from Euro CP or Halfrauds. Just use some All purpose cleaner with detailing brush for all the nooks n crannies and it’s a good un.

v8quattro42
15th November 2020, 03:44 PM
Today is another day with Acc and Night vision
I put some loom between front bumper and a passenger foot carpet. That’s a place for two units (NV and image processor)

v8quattro42
15th November 2020, 03:47 PM
Some more photos

v8quattro42
17th November 2020, 04:58 PM
Today I installed front bumper to make sure all connection are fine and all parts are working fine. I attached few photos.

v8quattro42
17th November 2020, 05:04 PM
Also it was a first day with LPG system not much room for lpg components but it will be fine. Some photos of progress.

H-M3
18th November 2020, 12:48 AM
Are you working on your own? That’s hell of a lot of work for one man dude+++

v8quattro42
18th November 2020, 06:28 AM
Yes I do working myself and it is a bit work to do for one man. 😁

v8quattro42
19th November 2020, 07:20 PM
Another busy day with my A8. I expect more carbon build inside a intake manifold but for almost 130k miles doesn’t looks terrible. I decide to not clean that at all and after some sort of miles driving on LPG take manifold out again and inspect. I hope all carbon it will go away because of lpg gonna spray straight on that black carbon area. Fingers crossed

H-M3
19th November 2020, 08:13 PM
Making use of this whole lockdown. If only all mechanics were fast like you+++

v8quattro42
20th November 2020, 03:54 PM
Today it was time for oil filter housing seal. Most of V8 have oil leak up there. Also fitted new oil filter and a quantum 5w30 oil

v8quattro42
21st November 2020, 09:16 AM
Today finally arrived airbag for steering wheel and some other toys

v8quattro42
25th November 2020, 04:39 PM
Today I fit a lpg tank in a spare wheels tyre space

homer simpson
25th November 2020, 05:41 PM
Great thread! There's so much more you can fit to a D4 than a D3. I admire you effort, some major work there!

Architex_mA8tey
26th November 2020, 11:55 AM
Am I right in thinking that the LPG conversion is different for FSi?

I understood that there are several important reasons why normal sequential gas injection systems are not suitable. Initially, the petrol injector nozzles will clog & overheat if not used, while running on gas.

I was led to believe that you need a system that will dual-fuel both petrol and lpg simultaneously, so the system runs 75% lpg and 25% unleaded.

Good work so far on it all, enjoying this thread! +++

steamship
26th November 2020, 02:10 PM
I was led to believe that you need a system that will dual-fuel both petrol and lpg simultaneously, so the system runs 75% lpg and 25% unleaded.

That's what I was told when making enquiries about the FSi engines. The petrol injected is used to cool the fuel injectors to stop them being fried.

An interesting build this especially with the LPG, so intrigued to see the work to fit the LPG injectors.

v8quattro42
26th November 2020, 03:42 PM
Am I right in thinking that the LPG conversion is different for FSi?

I understood that there are several important reasons why normal sequential gas injection systems are not suitable. Initially, the petrol injector nozzles will clog & overheat if not used, while running on gas.

Good work so far on it all, enjoying this thread! +++

Yes you right.

There is two different lpg system on a market I know

One is Prins
Secound is Stag

Prins lpg installation cost €2500 and you running on lpg only using modify high pressure pump it’s supply for lpg and using petrol Injectors

Very difficult to have software to set up everything together

Stag cost me at this stage £700-£750 and I s likes standard sequential lpg system using separate injectors.
As you said it’s mix lpg and a petrol to cool down injectors nozzles but is not mix together both fuels. Is for 10 cycles using 7 times lpg and 3 times petrol that’s how it works.

I did use stag before on my A6 V8, v-class V6 and others. Never have any problems. Once I fit I already forgot I have lpg on my cars.
Never replace any parts after fitting and I did lots of miles. Just filters and fill up that’s all.

I have enough equipment to program lpg ecu than I’m not worry about that.

Then as you see it’s to big difference between both system to think about this expensive option. Even if I gonna spend total for parts £1k still it’s better for m STAG.

v8quattro42
26th November 2020, 03:48 PM
Few photos from today. I’m very close to fill up a lpg tank maybe I will do that tomorrow. We will se how much I can fill up. I think it will be around 50l, space for a lpg tank it’s not massive I’m afraid

v8quattro42
27th November 2020, 10:16 AM
Some update about retrofits I did
Looks like only acc and night vision cameras calibrations left

v8quattro42
27th November 2020, 10:28 AM
Here is some photos how MMI system looks right now

v8quattro42
29th November 2020, 11:35 AM
All work almost finish car need a proper clean up and is ready to go.

v8quattro42
1st December 2020, 01:37 PM
Today I was finish a on board camera calibration process as that was require by modules after retrofit