PDA

View Full Version : honk-honk

Simon Wallwork
20th March 2010, 10:52 AM
Further to the thread I started earlier entitled 'bearing noise' I have now isolated the problem.

Its coming from a circular 'thing' which is located under the plastic cover on top of the V8.

This 'thing' is possibly part of the crank fumes recovery system and is located near to the rear of the engine.

I got a friend to blip the throttle when the problem was especially bad, and we quickly isolated this 'thing' as the prob. It resonates and produces the noise.

Why I was able to temporarily stop it by scooshing the poly-v with WD-40 I'll never know.

Anyways, what is this thing? Can it be repaired and will a new one cure the prob?

Has this been seen before?

Conan_the_Librarian
20th March 2010, 01:09 PM
Photo of said thing would be useful.

Simon Wallwork
22nd March 2010, 02:10 PM
Well, it's some sort of breather for sure. The pipes go into the top of the block.

I went to Audi Glasgow. The can get one tomorrow. £54 + VAT.

I thought I'd have a look at the old one first. Took it off. Took it to bits. It's designed to come apart for cleaning

Inside is a diaphragm of some sort and a spring and a lot of mayonnaise.:)

Cleaned out the mayo, can now running fine with no honking sounds.

Just hope I've not wasted the poly-v or anthing else with my idiot WD-40 scooshing.:o

Car seems quieter running too.:)

sarg
11th March 2022, 12:30 PM
Mine has just started honking from the diaphragm too, am sure I had the same issue with my 4.2QS many years ago.

Does anyone have a how-to guide to remove, clean and reattach?

HPsauce
11th March 2022, 12:48 PM
Few clues in here, you presumably know where it is: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15370

MikkiJayne
11th March 2022, 01:14 PM
Mine has just started honking from the diaphragm too, am sure I had the same issue with my 4.2QS many years ago.

Does anyone have a how-to guide to remove, clean and reattach?

Try loosening the lower hose clamp and lifting it up on the pipe slightly.

I know Mark replaced it a couple of times, and I discovered recently that if you put the Meyle one low on the pipe in to the manifold it honks, and lifting it up stops it. Bizarre, but it was repeatable with two of them.

sarg
11th March 2022, 11:50 PM
In case a new one is required, anyone got a part number for the Meyle version (based on Mark's comments on HP's thread)?

Oil and filter service was done (Mobil 1) today at Deutsch Tech near Milton Keynes, £169 all in

MikkiJayne
12th March 2022, 07:19 AM
100 899 0078

sarg
12th March 2022, 10:28 AM
Not that I doubt you at all MJ, will order one from Prestige on Monday, but this website https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts/meyle/2116986 states:

"This product № 100 899 0078 doesn't fit the vehicle AUDI A8 D2 (4D2, 4D8) S 8 quattro (265 kW / 360 hp) Petrol"

Autodoc website seems okay with it though