PDA

View Full Version : New E10 Petrol............yes/no?

Echo
25th June 2021, 11:28 AM
According to the government compatibility list, the A8 (2004), isn't listed:

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/Audi

Audi
E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Audi petrol driven vehicles, excluding the following vehicles:

First generation direct injection engines:
Audi A2 1.6 FSI, model years 2003-2005
Audi A3 1.6 FSI, model year 2004
Audi A3 2.0 FSI, model year 2004
Audi A4 2.0 FSI, model years 2003-2004
Audi A4 Saloon petrol engine models with OEM parking heater, of model years 2001-2008.
Audi A4 Avant petrol engine models with OEM parking heater of model years 2002- 2008.
NOTE: If your vehicle is listed above you should continue to use E5 petrol. If you are unsure please contact your local Audi dealer.

Should I be worried?

Adrian E
25th June 2021, 11:53 AM
No, it’ll be fine. E5 will still be available (although most likely only high octane so more expensive)

Expect a small drop in fuel economy in switching from E5 to E10. The pump will always be clearly marked which E content it is

Echo
25th June 2021, 12:06 PM
Ok, thanks for that Mr E.

I was a bit worried in case they'd missed the 2004 A8 off the 'no, no' list :)

Still not sure why some Audi engines of this era wont work with E10 though.

Is it the size of the engine, or some other technical thing?

HPsauce
25th June 2021, 12:23 PM
No, it’ll be fine. E5 will still be available (although most likely only high octane so more expensive)Another reason to make sure SWMBO only ever puts 99RON in our cars.... ;)

And I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but E10 is too short to search for. :cool:

pete-p
25th June 2021, 12:25 PM
I remember asking this about my D2 S8. I'll probably still look for the E5 higher octane fuel where I can.

Looking at the list of excluded cars, are they all the same engine but with different CC? 1.6 and 2.0 FSI?

Adrian E
25th June 2021, 12:28 PM
Still not sure why some Audi engines of this era wont work with E10 though.

Is it the size of the engine, or some other technical thing?

It's to do with early versions of direct injection - basically the system just isn't designed to accept E10. The list of VWs is quite long......

Echo
25th June 2021, 12:29 PM
Another reason to make sure SWMBO only ever puts 99RON in our cars.... ;)

And I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but E10 is too short to search for. :cool:

Yeah, I did try a search in case it's been covered before, but couldn't find anything.

Was getting slightly paranoid about it, lol.

Echo
25th June 2021, 12:34 PM
It's to do with early versions of direct injection - basically the system just isn't designed to accept E10. The list of VWs is quite long......

Oh, ok, thanks.

Is a 2004 3.0ltr petrol A8 direct injection?

ainarssems
25th June 2021, 02:28 PM
I think it's mostly to do with rubber parts like hoses and o-rings, some of the old rubbers pre 2011 ethanol may dry out become hard britle and crack.

Echo
25th June 2021, 02:41 PM
I think it's mostly to do with rubber parts like hoses and o-rings, some of the old rubbers pre 2011 ethanol may dry out become hard britle and crack.

Might just go with Shell V Power then............just in case!

HPsauce
25th June 2021, 02:47 PM
Is a 2004 3.0ltr petrol A8 direct injection?

Pretty sure the 3.L V6 is a conventional manifold injection system, only the 3.2l introduced later to replace it was FSi.
According to Wikipedia in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A8#D3:In 2005, new internal combustion engines became available. For European and Asian market customers, the entry-level 3.0-litre V6 engine was replaced with a new 3.2-litre unit featuring Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI), which it shared with the Audi B7 A4 and Audi C6 A6.

Echo
25th June 2021, 02:59 PM
Pretty sure the 3.L V6 is a conventional manifold injection system, only the 3.2l introduced later to replace it was FSi.
According to Wikipedia in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A8#D3:

Hmmm....that's what I was afraid of.

The 3.0ltr V6 petrol might have been missed off the list by mistake, or by incompetence!

tintin
25th June 2021, 04:07 PM

So did I. But that might have been on my Coupe or Panda (but not Tesla :ROFL: ) forum...it's been a long week.:rolleyes:

paulrstaylor
25th June 2021, 04:50 PM
So did I. But that might have been on my Coupe or Panda (but not Tesla :ROFL: ) forum...it's been a long week.:rolleyes:

Is the Tesla E10 compatible then? :ROFL:

Adrian E
25th June 2021, 05:22 PM
Hmmm....that's what I was afraid of.

The 3.0ltr V6 petrol might have been missed off the list by mistake, or by incompetence!

The list was compiled by industry for an EU request - I’d expect it to be accurate. You have nothing to worry about +++

I’m not even sure when E10 will actually be rolled out? I’ve not seen it anywhere yet…..

Echo
25th June 2021, 06:15 PM
The list was compiled by industry for an EU request - I’d expect it to be accurate. You have nothing to worry about +++

I’m not even sure when E10 will actually be rolled out? I’ve not seen it anywhere yet…..

Right, thanks for the reassurance anyway +++

Not sure either, but I've heard it'll be around September.

Adrian E
26th June 2021, 08:05 AM
As if by magic, article on BBC News site this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57585105

Compatibility checker:

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/

I like how they gloss over the fact that the still available E5 option is going to cost you a fortune compared to 'regular' unleaded....

Very brief mention at the end of the fact it'll reduce your fuel economy too :rolleyes:

steamship
26th June 2021, 09:55 AM

For anyone wanting to search the forum for short terms like 'E10', use Google with the following format:

site:http://forum.a8parts.co.uk "e10"

Can I assume that since the Gov site specifically states "First generation direct injection engines", this shouldn't be an issue with the D2s as they're not direct injection?

Adrian E
28th June 2021, 12:18 PM
Had a chat with my dad today about this, having not given a second thought to whether his Lexus would be compatible. Turns out a 2006 IS250 isn't :tuttut:

Luckily he does bugger all mileage these days (it was MOT'd today and did 1,421 miles in the last year, 400 of which was a recent round trip to visit me!) so having to stick to super unleaded won't cost him much. It does make you wonder how fuel stations will engage with customers on this once E10 hits forecourts. I suspect that will depend very much on when refineries make the switch, so will be regional in nature.

I suspect the value of his car will take a dip as a result, not that it's worth much anyway.....

Echo
5th July 2021, 06:17 PM
Well, according to Audi UK:

RE: 2004 Audi A8 D3 3.0 6-Spd Multitronic, Metallic Silver

Vin: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr Echo,

Thank you for your recent contact with Audi Customer Services regarding the above vehicle.

Having verified your vehicles details on our database I can confirm the above vehicle is compatible to use E10 petrol.

If there is anything else I can assist you with, please feel free to contact me on the details below.

Thank you for contacting Audi UK.

Kind regards

Haroon Akhtar
Customer Relations Advisor

Audi UK

Tel 0800 699 888
Email customer.services@audi.co.uk

Still not convinced :D:D:D