PDA

View Full Version : Audi S8 D2 20" Wheels on Avon Tyres

Nognar
23rd October 2021, 11:35 AM
Afternoon all,

Many threads over the years on tyres for our cars so I thought I would add some experience of mine to the conversation.

I put a set of four Avon ZZ5s on the S8 a couple of years ago. After a little over 7000 miles the fronts were done.

This is not only the normal inside edge wear but down to the wear indicators across the tyre also. I have never had a tyre wear out so fast whilst providing such average performance. Nothing terrible but certainly nothing special and not as good as the Bridgestone's or Falkens I have also run on the car. Plus they strangely seemed to be prone to punctures and leaks also.

Car was driving well, tracking all good and I pay very specific attention to the pressures on the 20" wheels and go a little higher then the normal 36 psi to help the shoulders. All in all a little cheaper but a very false economy and the AVON ZZ5 is really not recommended by me.

Replacements?

Only one choice for me these days for quality and longer lasting performance and that's a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

ainarssems
23rd October 2021, 01:20 PM
Never had ZZ5 but A6 had ZZ3 on it when I bought it. What a horrid tyre, at 25C+ it was kind of OK but at cold and wet constantly sliding around and when you are sliding you are wearing them out much faster.

Can't go wrong with Michelin PS4 + PA5 if 2 sets for summer/winter or Crossclimate+/2 if running same all year round

pete-p
25th October 2021, 08:09 AM
That's odd. I've had a set of ZZ5 on the back for some time now with no issues. I was going to put the same on the front but couldn't get them so went with ZV7 instead. Maybe it's that I don't do many miles or that I'm in 18" wheels.