PDA

View Full Version : Want More Noise

Singh
28th January 2009, 06:14 PM
Okay, so I finally have a set of Quads fitted to my '8 after a trip to MIJ, I now want a bit more sound from the engine. I read somewhere that someone drilled their air box, does anyone have any instructions on how to do this? Also what are peoples thoughts on K&N air filters, has anyone noticed any differences after installing one?
Thanks

Mkoneman
28th January 2009, 09:57 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg253/mkoneeman/Foto-0251.jpg

this is the one off my 4.2 that i still have, 20mm holes on the back side near the wheel arch area so it gets the coldest air it can

quiet on soft acceleration, deep roar on full load +++

Singh
30th January 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks Mkoneman, had mine done now...

Mkoneman
11th February 2009, 10:03 PM
cool, good sound with the exhaust too??

Singh
12th February 2009, 04:33 PM
I have noticed a bit more engine sound when I really give it some welly, but most of it gets drowned out by the exhuast! The car sounds lovely, people say they can hear me from the other side of a really long road, having no rear silencers doesn't help :D

Jake242
20th January 2014, 05:31 PM
Hi Guys,

Looking for a little more engine sound(as I can hardly hear the car on full acceleration) is there any drawback to drilling holes in the intake cover? Can you alternativly install an open filter? And if so, where to get it?

I am not looking to damage the engine though.

Cheers, Jake

Dezzy
21st January 2014, 07:16 AM
I've drilled mine and put 20 - 30k on it since. I've drilled airboxes on loads of cars in the past with no issues. It'll possibly use more fuel and loose a touch of performance.
I have worried in the past about water getting being sucked in but i've not had issues.

Induction noise is far better than exhaust imo.

Never looked for open filters personally

Goran
21st January 2014, 11:51 AM
My experience with my previous S8 was that when I had a new exhaust installed, not only did the exhaust note improve, but you could also hear more growl from the engine from the front.
I did have 100 cel cats installed at the same time so maybe that could be it rather than the exhaust.

One downside to drilling the air box, is that you are sucking in warm air from the engine bay, one of the purposes the air box was put in to avoid the warm air and draw in cooler air from the outside.

Jake242
22nd January 2014, 11:27 AM
What exactly is the reason that it gives a better sound?

Could I fit a bigger tube on the top of those holes making more cold from the outside comming directly to those holes... maybe putting a heat blanket around to prevent heat from the engine?

ainarssems
22nd January 2014, 01:33 PM
Air box work is designed to work as intake silencer so the effect is similar to that if you drilled holes in exhaust silencer but to lesser extent. Fitting the pipe over them would diminish effects.