PDA

View Full Version : Self adhesive brake pads?

graynada
18th April 2010, 05:48 AM
I have attempted to cure my brake squeal by the old fashioned method of a good clean and copper grease on the back of the pads, however while I was taking the pads out I notice the 2 outer pads held by, as well as the torx bolt, a sort of double sided self adhesive pad. Is this a standard thing for A8 pads or is this someone else's attempt to cure squeal? I suppose my main concern is should I be worried I have destroyed this bond?

Conan_the_Librarian
18th April 2010, 06:27 AM
I don't think i's standard as I have never heard of it befor. Be interesting if anyone can shed some light.

PsYcHe
18th April 2010, 08:28 AM
Seen this on quite a few pads... If they're stilll stuck on, then good chance that that isn't the source of the squeal.

B@fink
18th April 2010, 01:51 PM
i've seen a sticky backed pad before too. Either that or they have now started putting packets of blue goo in with em.

Oli18
18th April 2010, 06:33 PM
Mine have it on the fronts too and they also squeel!

graynada
18th April 2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I broke the adhesion getting them out and copper greasing them. I think the squeal is from the front, but it is always hard to tell. I'll see how it goes now they greased.

PsYcHe
18th April 2010, 07:28 PM
Is everything at the front OEM? A lot of 3rd party pads and disks squeal.

Dezzy
19th April 2010, 07:34 AM
I put new discs and pads all round the pads had sticky backed pads on them too. Cheapies on the rear and Brembo discs on the front, guess what the fronts squeal well saying that not heard it for a while now. When it was all brand new no noise, then it bedded it and started to squeal and now it doesn’t.

I think it’s to do with taking asbestos out of break pads and replacing it with metal as the pads wear and you get metal to metal SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL.

Probably find that as they wear they will intermittently wake your neighbours up as you manoeuvre out of your drive / parking space.

Mine were worst in reverse at low speed.

Mr K
19th April 2010, 07:49 AM
I used some 'anti squeal' stuff on my race car. It's like a thin peice of black bitumen stuff between two bits of thin plastic iirc. Its bassically the built in anti squeal pads that you see on the back of some brake pads, but seperate to be retro fitted.

I beleive the sqeal comes from the pad vibrating / juddering on the disk, not sure if it's the pad against the disk or the pins and piston that then makes the noise; but the aim of the game is to isolate the pad from the caliper (copper grease, anti squeal pads) or I guess limit it's mvement.

I have to admit I've not come across straight up glue being used, but the the tar like pads always stick to the piston anway.

graynada
19th April 2010, 11:33 AM
I am not sure if it is all OEM, it's as it was when I bought it. I didn't seen any obvious markings of manufacturer.

My squealing only starts when the brakes are hot, ie driving for a half hour plus and been using the brakes often like round town start stop. The squeal can be controlled with brake pressure, but annoyingly is loudest at the sort of brake pressure you use normally, like when rolling up to the drive through window at a local eaterie!! I've yet to drive it enough to see if the copper grease has had any affect.

graynada
21st April 2010, 11:15 AM
From the limited mileage I have done since apply the copper grease it would appear that the ammount of squealling has been significantly reduced. There is still a slight noise a certain brake pressures but this sounds like it could be coming from the rear OS. I will try the same trick on the rear brakes.

RanjS8
26th July 2010, 06:51 PM
I find brake squeal occurs for two reason...
1...metal to metal contact
2...brake dust between pads and discs

First is resolved by placing copper grease where ever there is
metal contact between the pads and the caliper I.e. Where the
pads hook rides along the caliper when the brake is squeezed....

The second occurs when after Market brake pads are used because brake
dust builds up in the caliper and causes a squelling noise...for some oem
brake pads don't cause the dust to build up so much therefore
not causing such a build up. So to resolve this issue either use oem pads
or when changing pads...clean the inside of the caliper thoroughly....I did this last time by using some emery pad on the end of a dremel...this got rid of the
the black dust that build up on the caliper and it also mean the pads line up better in the caliper.

Finally the self adhesive is used cos on the stock brakes it is a real mare trying
To work out how the pads on the outside of the caliper stay in place t funny little clips at the stop....I just used a little bit of glue....mind not sure the adhesive work that well as the caliper must get prettty hot which must make the adhesive pretty much ineffective....