PDA

View Full Version : Parking sensor replacement

Singh
3rd May 2010, 08:34 PM
Oh boy.

I dreaded the day I would have to do this, got the beeeeeeeeep. Vag com says.

01627 - Sensor for Parking-Aid; Front Mid-Right (G253)
31-00 - Open or Short to Ground

Bumper off job, any pointers? I I'm going to check the connectors tomorrow. Which side is front mid right, sounds like a stupid question but it depends on weather you are facing the car or sitting in it. Is it drivers side or passenger? I will do a write up with pictures if this hasn't been documented already.

Thanks

Mr K
3rd May 2010, 08:47 PM
I cant help, but i would love to see a how-too guide on bumper removal and parking sensor replacement.

Singh
3rd May 2010, 09:01 PM
It seems easy enough, so will defiantly do the guide but you will have to make do with shoddy I phone pics!

Zip
3rd May 2010, 09:11 PM
...bit fiddly actually. Yes, there are the two big allen bolts holding the bumper onto the the 2 "arms" (you get to them from underneath once you have removed the undertray).

But you also have to fiddle around with various clips in the arches to free up the front arch liners to release the bumper and lower valance.

Easy once you're in there. I managed to part-slide the bumper out, rest it on my knees with my head under the car, and reach in and replace the sensor. Get the front up on stands.

I'ms sure someones get a better "how-to" than me...
Zip

Oli18
3rd May 2010, 09:23 PM
What zip says...

The inner left and right sensors are a pita...the others a whole lot easier.

Check out my post here (http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1517)of when i had to do it...be prepared to wedge the sensors out though +++

Its from the perspective from the driver btw Amar...

Singh
3rd May 2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the pointers, will let you know how I get on. Hardest part will be painting the sensor the right colour! +++

IT
4th May 2010, 07:33 AM
Its from the perspective from the driver btw Amar...

Spot on Oli - every part on the car is always described as if sat in the drivers seat facing forward +++

Dezzy
4th May 2010, 09:03 AM
What ever happened to N/S O/S?

IT
4th May 2010, 09:26 AM
That only works if you are dealing with cars of one country, and with the steering wheel only ever one one side +++

O/S and N/S are the other way round in Germany.... How confusing would that be...

Dezzy
4th May 2010, 10:59 AM
Easy just turn the car upside down

B@fink
4th May 2010, 01:34 PM
or they could say uk o/s or eu o/s ......not that tricky really! If they needed advice i would happily have helped, for a reasonable fee!

Singh
6th May 2010, 01:10 PM
Ordered one from A8 Parts, being a special order colour they obviously didn't have one in my colour. I'd feel a little stupid going to a bodyshop to get them to paint it. Can I do a reasonable job with my touch up pen, or should I order a spray can from Audi?
Also, I cannot believe how much I depend on parking sensors now, to the point I don't like it! I never used to have parking sensors in my other D2 and parked that fine and had great judgement of where its arse ended. Yesterday I had to get out of the car to make sure I didn't smash it, how embarrassing!