PDA

View Full Version : Overflowing petrol

graynada
2nd June 2010, 06:07 PM
I filled my tank today and then drove the short distance home. Car was parked up for about 45 mins and then I moved it to let my wife on the drive. When I got out there was fuel on the road and running from somewhere up the top of the tank. I only lost about half a litre but it looked to be quite a free flowing leak.

Does anyone know the likely area/cause? I'm guessing the fuel expanded after coming from the cooler underground tank to the warmer environment, but I wouldn't expect it to overflow like this.

Conan_the_Librarian
2nd June 2010, 06:58 PM
Have you checked the banjo bolts on your fuel filter. When mine failed it was quite messy.

graynada
3rd June 2010, 12:13 PM
No fuel leaking this morning or after the drive into work. Am I right in thinking that if it were the fuel filtre banjo bolts I would get some leakage every time the fuel pump ran?

I seem to remember seeing on a drawing somewhere reference to an expansion tank. Is this easy to get to to check for leaks, missing hoses etc?

Conan_the_Librarian
3rd June 2010, 01:25 PM
Dunno about the expansion tank, but if there is no leaks now then it probably isn't the fuel filter banjo bolts.

Conan_the_Librarian
3rd June 2010, 01:35 PM
Just had a quick peek at ETKA, this is what you are on about I think,

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1147&stc=1&d=1275571975

There is indeed pipework from and to the main tank and what looks like an overflow.

graynada
24th June 2010, 06:12 AM
It would appear it is not the expansion tank or any of the associated piping, but it looks like it probably came from the fuel sender cap. When I bought my car the fuel gauge was very inaccurate, in fact I ran out of petrol while reading 1/4 tank (not even in the red) and from missing screws and the like it looks like someone had been looking at the sender.

I have fixed the gauge by use of the calibration figures VAG Com however the wake of the previous work would appear to be that the fuel sender cap was never done up properly and was not sealed. It just popped off with very little persuasion.

I have tried tightening it up but it seems virtually impossible without the correct tool, does anyone know a good source for the Audi 2012A fuel sender removal tool.