PDA

View Full Version : Low oil pressure warning

graynada
26th July 2010, 01:52 PM
Easing my way through the Hindhead road works on the A3 yesterday afternoon and my low oil pressure symbol appears on the DIS accompanied by 3 beeps. After the 3 beeps the DIS returned to normal.

I stopped as soon as I can and the oil level was good, ands on restart and the rest of the days driving there were no further anonalies.

Is this most likely a sensor glitch?

Is this a common fault on D2s?

Am I right in thinking that if the low oil pressure symbol on the DIS goes off, the oil pressure is OK?

graynada
31st July 2010, 06:33 AM
I've done a VDCS scan and there were no oil pressure related faults so I am guessing that;

1. There was mo loss of oil pressure.
2. The DIS has its own independent sensor.
3. An intermittent fault with this sensor or its associated wiring caused the DIS warning.

It hasn't happened again since, and hopefully it won't happen ever again :)

Conan_the_Librarian
31st July 2010, 07:46 AM
If the dip stick says it's ok. It should be ok. :)

B@fink
31st July 2010, 08:29 AM
its a slim outside chance but if the oil is getting on a bit (and getting a bit thin) , the engine is getting on a bit (so fractionally down on oil pump efficiency) and it got very warm sat in the traffic (making the oil even thinner) it could possibly have got the oil pressure just low enough to briefly trigger the warning? Going back a year or 10 my old rover v8 used to have virtually no oil pressure when in traffic and hot for the same reason, but even the slightest bit of engine speed (above 1200rpm) and it was 30psi! Can't imagine the audi 8 doing it but it might explain its very random shortlived appearance?

graynada
2nd August 2010, 11:24 AM
its a slim outside chance but if the oil is getting on a bit (and getting a bit thin) , the engine is getting on a bit (so fractionally down on oil pump efficiency) and it got very warm sat in the traffic (making the oil even thinner) it could possibly have got the oil pressure just low enough to briefly trigger the warning? Going back a year or 10 my old rover v8 used to have virtually no oil pressure when in traffic and hot for the same reason, but even the slightest bit of engine speed (above 1200rpm) and it was 30psi! Can't imagine the audi 8 doing it but it might explain its very random shortlived appearance?

Thanks for the reply. The oil was changed in May, and the engine is 85K and although I was going through the Hindhead road works I never dropped below 35 mph so I am guessing I did not get this situation.

Hopefully it is just going to be one of those unexplained things.